Elite in Rollingstone magazine

Thanks, OP, for posting about this. I probably wouldn't have seen it otherwise, and I quite enjoyed it. Rep++

Rep++ to Mengy for the corrected link.

Last edited:
Thanks, great interview and enjoyable. (A lot better than that willfully ignorant farce of a 'review' by IGN.)

WARNING: Rant mode engaged.

I read the article but I am disgusted at his comparison of a soldier to a Roman slave. One makes the choice to join the army, a slave has no choice. I wonder if Mr. Braben would be willing to have this discussion with army vets or the families who have lost loved ones fighting for our freedom in many wars.

Quite frankly I am appalled at his comments in this regard and see no correlation between what he says and reality. Considering Mr. Brabens work is what inspired me to have the career that I followed I have today lost a huge amount of respect for him for the comments he has made. If ever I meet you David, I will be raising this as I find it so disrespectful towards the people I consider braver than myself for giving service to their country to be compared to slaves.

WARNING: Rant mode engaged.

I read the article but I am disgusted at his comparison of a soldier to a Roman slave. One makes the choice to join the army, a slave has no choice.

Sigh.
Disengage Outraged Rant and Read the Bloody Article (putting on your reading glasses will help).

He is specifically comparing romans who deliberately sold themselves into service (as a slave) to pay off debts.

but within Rome, slaves – by law – had to be treated really well, and they had rights. The nearest parallel to Roman slavery in modern times is signing up for the Army, where you sign up to be sent to risk your life or whatever, but there are rules, and you get paid, and there's a fixed term. That's as close as you get to Roman slavery.

In Roman times, people would sign up for slavery to pay a debt. That's a different sort of cultural and political root.

The comparission is of the terms of service, not the people.

Last edited:
I will be the first to admit, I am very critical of the game, I have played since 1984 and I still love it. and this is why i am so critical of the game as I want it to be PERFECT :)
Reading the article, just show's how dedicated David Braben / FD are to this game!

For that I thank you!

Excellent! And the part about better diving equipment allowing us to find ships that didn't make it to the USA or wherever... a bit like the generation ships. There is more to be found here I think.

Top Bottom