Elite is a convoluted mess

this-isnt-an-airport-you-dont-have-to-announce-your-departure.jpg

I think of it this way.

I watched a streamer a few weeks ago trying ED for the first time. It was excruciating for him. He hated it. There was no pleasure to be gained flying from this station in system 1 to that station in system 2. Because he wasn't interested in that, ie the flying, he was trying to see where the cool bits were and all he could find was infuriating key binds.

And others will try the game and will fight through the key binds and confusion because, frankly, wwwhhhheeeeeeeeee sspaceships!
Honestly I can sympathize, starting this game was goddamn infurating, everything takes so long to do and nothing aside from the bare basics is explained in game. Thankfully I like to read and had nothing better to do at the time, but getting any of my friends to play it without me dragging them to it is an uphill battle.

The only valid point the OP makes is the poor state of the options. They really REALLY need a search/filter box. I have spent much longer than I should have looking for an option I know is there, but just can't see it. He should have been able to type in "fss" or "mode" and just see those options with those key words.

Two hours sounds like a huge exaggeration, though. Which makes it so much easier to dismiss the rest of what the OP had to say.

As UpIsNotJump stated:
"A ship that's difficult to fly means that once you got the hang of it [CARGO ACQUIRED] you REALLY have control."

The skill floor is indeed so high up you can't see it above the clouds, but the cieling is so low in comparison you run the risk of decapitation, or at least a nasty neck cramp.

Elite is a game I very much love, top 3 all time video games for me, and yet there are very few people I'd actually recommend it too. It just isn't for everyone, or even most, and I certainly hope they don't ruin what they have chasing a broader market.
I think it is too late for that. Mind that any product needs client base to succeed. We are the clients, ED is a product. Shareholders probably already made it clear to whoever makes decisions in FDev... They don't care about player base (they simply need numbers) as long as they can pull some extra pennies from ARX store and show off "engagement" results to the big guys...

Last edited:
If you're really interested in the game / genre you'll take the time to learn how to play.

The fact that the op has only picked it up because it was free is a fair indicator that he wasn't really
that interested in the first place considering it's been out for so long and has been on sale countless times.

It took me months of trial and error and countless videos to learn how to play Dwarf Fortress but it's
one of the best games ever made.

Start with the options, I want to find the button to enter FSS mode. No it's not in the category with the other FSS buttons, It's been moved to something called mode switch. Of course this wasted two hours of my life, And wound up finding it on google, Since the elite wiki never tells you anything useful. And all this time was wasted in just figuring out one button that i wanted to change or even use. Why can't you put everything pertaining to one function in a single category, And stop making it overly difficult to find?

Flight controls, Is it really necessary to make it so difficult to fly around a solar system, Do i need to hit j, Wait for a countdown, Find the target, and then accelerate? Or would a smart person make it so i just hit the spacebar for four seconds to enter frame shift mode? Since i can maneuver within that mode.

Scanning and FSS mode. What an over complicated and stupid system. I have to be in frame shift mode to enable FSS mode? What for? If it's far enough away to require frame shift mode, Then i'll turn that on myself. And i don't need it to be mandated to me. Why are there three kinds of scanners, When there are only buttons for two fire groups? Why doesnt the FSS scanner auto identify a signal type and just list it on the screen for me. Do i really need to manually tune the dial for every little thing? That's terrible game design. Also indicative of this game overall. Overly complicated simple functions. Or twelve buttons for every little thing.

Mining, it was easy enough to understand that i needed a mining laser and refiner to go mining. Go through the massively overcomplicated flight controls to get to an asteroid, Hit the lasers, a piece flys off, And i have to chase it like a duck hunting dog, And scoop it into an opening under my ship. Only to get the message resources unallocated, Because it has more than one material, So i have to manually eject the unwanted part of each chunk, Every single time i mine. Could you possibly have made this suck any more than this? How about your ship extends a tube to suck up the chunks, Like someone would do in real life. And anything that your ship cant refine is jettisoned automatically. How about you actually tell new players where to get drones that collect the chunks. Horrible system.

I spent the last two days playing this game, And so far I have had zero amount of fun. Every single thing i try to do is overly complicated, Micromanagement in it's worst form. I can't stress enough how you have ruined anything resembling fun, In favor of "MORE BUTTONS" to push. More nonsensical steps to take to do one simple function. In the real world, We simplify things, We group things together under automatic control, So that the operator doesn't have to micromanage everything. This is not Kerbal space program, Where you build and fly your own ships manually. This is supposed to be a space adventure. But instead It's a space irritation.

Rewards Or the lack thereof. Ten chunks mined 38% of one unit of ore? How about with payout that low, I just tell you what to kiss, And quit this crappy job. Setting the difficulty high, Does not make a game enjoyable. it just shows that you don't care whether people are having a good time or not.

Anyway, I'm just glad that this game was free. So i won't feel bad about deleting it. Adios!!!
Wait ! .... they are adjusting the mining ..... oh, he's gone. :whistle:

P.S. I never got to tell you about the reward at Hutton Orbital.

Last edited:
Hey, let's play this new computer game I just got! 🙂
OK! Load it up.
🙃
Here goes!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
There is a small mailbox here.
">"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

... :unsure:

...where are the instructions?
What instructions?

Not for everybody.

I think it is too late for that. Mind that any product needs client base to succeed. We are the clients, ED is a product. Shareholders probably already made it clear to whoever makes decisions in FDev... They don't care about player base (they simply need numbers) as long as they can pull some extra pennies from ARX store and show off "engagement" results to the big guys...

Some of the shareholders are players. And yes, I care about the player base, where does the money come from?

Start with the options, I want to find the button to enter FSS mode. No it's not in the category with the other FSS buttons, It's been moved to something called mode switch. Of course this wasted two hours of my life, And wound up finding it on google, Since the elite wiki never tells you anything useful. And all this time was wasted in just figuring out one button that i wanted to change or even use. Why can't you put everything pertaining to one function in a single category, And stop making it overly difficult to find?

Flight controls, Is it really necessary to make it so difficult to fly around a solar system, Do i need to hit j, Wait for a countdown, Find the target, and then accelerate? Or would a smart person make it so i just hit the spacebar for four seconds to enter frame shift mode? Since i can maneuver within that mode.

Scanning and FSS mode. What an over complicated and stupid system. I have to be in frame shift mode to enable FSS mode? What for? If it's far enough away to require frame shift mode, Then i'll turn that on myself. And i don't need it to be mandated to me. Why are there three kinds of scanners, When there are only buttons for two fire groups? Why doesnt the FSS scanner auto identify a signal type and just list it on the screen for me. Do i really need to manually tune the dial for every little thing? That's terrible game design. Also indicative of this game overall. Overly complicated simple functions. Or twelve buttons for every little thing.

Mining, it was easy enough to understand that i needed a mining laser and refiner to go mining. Go through the massively overcomplicated flight controls to get to an asteroid, Hit the lasers, a piece flys off, And i have to chase it like a duck hunting dog, And scoop it into an opening under my ship. Only to get the message resources unallocated, Because it has more than one material, So i have to manually eject the unwanted part of each chunk, Every single time i mine. Could you possibly have made this suck any more than this? How about your ship extends a tube to suck up the chunks, Like someone would do in real life. And anything that your ship cant refine is jettisoned automatically. How about you actually tell new players where to get drones that collect the chunks. Horrible system.

I spent the last two days playing this game, And so far I have had zero amount of fun. Every single thing i try to do is overly complicated, Micromanagement in it's worst form. I can't stress enough how you have ruined anything resembling fun, In favor of "MORE BUTTONS" to push. More nonsensical steps to take to do one simple function. In the real world, We simplify things, We group things together under automatic control, So that the operator doesn't have to micromanage everything. This is not Kerbal space program, Where you build and fly your own ships manually. This is supposed to be a space adventure. But instead It's a space irritation.

Rewards Or the lack thereof. Ten chunks mined 38% of one unit of ore? How about with payout that low, I just tell you what to kiss, And quit this crappy job. Setting the difficulty high, Does not make a game enjoyable. it just shows that you don't care whether people are having a good time or not.

Anyway, I'm just glad that this game was free. So i won't feel bad about deleting it. Adios!!!
Well its more like simulator than arcade game. And some parts it are kind of arcane stuff, like engineering your ship to some special purpose, or fighting against competent commanders. It certainly is not an easy game and has somewhat steep learning curve at least in the beginning. And well starter ship is not very good at all :)

That is a first for me, Never had someone say "targeting a destination and going into super-cruise by pressing J is too difficult" :)
Best bit is the "Can you make the J button the space bar so its easier" :)

Uggg little button hard want press big button Uggg.

Could you imagine the distress on the face when they find out, that to decode some of the messages, you need to run the auido file through a spectogram :p

Last edited:
Its been a while since there have been any new players, lol. Before you freak out remember these used to happen every (few) days so maybe its nice its different.

Yeah people come into elite expecting a video game, and have zero experience with a developer who doesn't iterate until it works, leaving in "hard decisions" that other companies would never ship because it wasn't finished. Yeah..... i thought those things too...

He'll be back in 6 months after going to other space games to cool off. Happened to me too.

I'm hoping Odyssey adds just enough mass market appeal that I can get my friends to play with me.

Better fixed as:

"Im hoping Odysee does well enough to risk frontiers reputation if they don't also provide the meat with the skeleton."

Frontier do what they do. We take what they do. Enough mainstreamers will riot. Frontier will have to act. Because we didn't need it, or something like that.

I know what the OP means tho. I mean Soul Calibur is a convoluted mess! Why do I have to choose characters? Why are there different movesets? One simple one should be enough for everyone! I have to move towards my opponent???!!! Can't it read my mind and figure out what to do! Don't even get me started on this knowing combos nonsense! It should just do all the things without any effort from me!!!!!!!111111

Jeez it's not that hard! A few rebuys boosts into stations n moons and I just lost 200 painite flying into a sodding hostile space station and I'm supposed to be reasonably experienced!
Phew! Makes me mad I do. Dumb. But so what it's a game we all screw up.
Op has had a hard time. Send him to the pipe bowl? Can't screw that up lol.
I think he needs a really small hanky to go with the even smaller violin i'm playing right now.

What the op wanted was a hand to hold, cried when they didn't get it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom