Elite is not Doomed

But i have to admit that, correct me if i am wrong, the general feeling of disillusionment that permeates this forum, Facebook threads, Reddit, YT comments, and so on is pretty unprecedented in how widespread it is.

Yes, there have always been doomsayers. But in the few years I've been hanging out here (lurking at first, and then as a player and active poster) I don't remember a period this dark.

Of course, this is the product of the "2020 announcement", plus the radio silence from Frontier (quieter than they usually are on all fronts).

I remember another period of negativity (about a year ago? Maybe more) that prompted either Zac or Dale (cant remember who) to write a damage control post, discussing the negative feedback and giving some hints about the future. Does someone remember the post I'm referring to?

Recently Paige had explained to us that the community team does not develop the game, therefore even if they spend their time doing interviews and "featured commanders" (initiatives of dubious utility) this doesn't slow down the development process. Well, with all due respect, no biowaste Sherlock, we can understand this ourselves. But if I can smell the disillusionment in the air, why can't they? Nobody is expecting a "hey, just kidding, we're actually dropping spacelegs next week!", but maybe some dialogue would help nonetheless.

For me personally it's not just the gap between now and the 2020 update or the radio silence by Fdev although they do count.
My biggest gripes are the huge amount of old, new, neglected bugs and no plans to do something about all the half developed features in the game.
Fdev managed to systematically decrease my love for the game and put down all my expectations through the last couple years.

punks-not-dead-d0013244931.png

But it stinks.

Yeah, been here since the beginning. This isn't the worst, or more like, it's probably tied to the low points we've seen many times before.

Ah, who am I kidding. The first nerf to rare trades was the absolute worst.

Yes, there have always been doomsayers. But in the few years I've been hanging out here (lurking at first, and then as a player and active poster) I don't remember a period this dark.

It was pretty dark after everyone saw what Engineering RNG was all about ..... actually the darkness was blue.

But if I can smell the disillusionment in the air, why can't they? Nobody is expecting a "hey, just kidding, we're actually dropping spacelegs next week!", but maybe some dialogue would help nonetheless.

:DIt's their job to be happy smiley, even in the darkest hours. Remember Sadam's PR chief, Chemical Ali ? He had similar problems to deal with, even when everyone else could see what was happening behind him.

Maybe it's because SC and NMS have raised the bar in terms of expectations.

I didn't want to bring in comparisons with other games, because it always lures the trolls our of their hideouts.

But if we do that, why stopping at NMS and SC? The fact that they're about the same thing doesn't make them the same games. Rather, we could consider the many other MMOs that have a tighter, more focused community engagement and update schedule.

Honestly I'm feeling better about the game now I know they're putting concerted effort into a single DLC. And it seems to be an expansion I'd want.

But that's as someone who's mainly put the main game down, just dipping into Arena & each update. I'd imagine it's a grizzlier time for regular players, and/or those who don't like the probable DLC direction.

There still seems to be plenty of louche theorycrafting and constructive crit around though. And game talk. Doesn't feel like the 4 Horsemen are abroad or anything. Surprising amounts really, given the update schedule. (More here than Reddit though. Reddit is active, but super dull and drama-free. It's literally just screenshot city interspersed with occasional newbies...)

Honestly I'm feeling better about the game now I know they're putting concerted effort into a single DLC. And it seems to be an expansion I'd want.

But that's as someone who's mainly put the main game down, just dipping into Arena & each update. I'd imagine it's a grizzlier time for regular players, and/or those who don't like the probable DLC direction.

There still seems to be plenty of louche theorycrafting and constructive crit around though. And game talk. Doesn't feel like the 4 Horsemen are abroad or anything. Surprising amounts really, given the update schedule. (More here than Reddit though. Reddit is active, but super dull and drama-free. It's literally just screenshot city interspersed with occasional newbies...)

Take away all screenshots/images of cars with Elite stickers and communtiy-made art, and little is left of that sub.

It's what happens when you stop people voting and discussing politics and we all have to discus the game and stay on topic (or lose fingers) and then when a proper fight subject comes up about cheating they go "yeah we are definitely doing something about it, honest we are!"

Last edited:
Top Bottom