Elite Observatory - Search your journal for potentially interesting objects, or notify you of new ones on the fly while exploring!

I do not have this issue, but I'm a newer player. I only have logs starting from late march 2019 up to now. Maybe it's because of a game update having changed parts of the logging? Just a wild guess.

My oldest logs are from late 2016, so it's not just that. If one of you could zip up all your logs for me I'll try to parse them on my end. If you dont' want to post that in the open feel free to PM me with a link or I can give you my email address.

edit: I'm also going to make a change to the error reporting so if this doesn't get tracked down (or anything else comes up) the error messages will be a bit more useful to me.

Last edited:
Found the issue. Or at least an issue. The localised system name in one of the exploration data selling events is the text from an INRA log. So that's cool.

edit: Won't be hard to fix, just need to watch for (and ignore) bad JSON even better, just skip lines that aren't scan events before even trying to parse. Should have a new release this evening/tonight.

Last edited:
ohh, this is so useful, thanks for working on this! Now I can see if I'm missing any shepherd moons etc (I presume those are moons that are in between rings, so probably a sign of a big ring system?). Can it detect ringed stars too? Or just large ring systems that don't necessarily have moons in them?

New release, get it while it's hot!

https://github.com/Xjph/EliteObservatory/releases/tag/v0.3.19.260

Getting this one out before everything I planned was done in order to fix an issue cause by some very odd values showing up in some people's journal files.

• Fixed issue caused by INRA log text being inserted into journal file in place of the localised name of some procedural systems. (what?!)
  • Performance during "read all logs" should also be improved
  • Loosened "close binary" criteria, extremely few bodies were qualifying
  • Added volume adjustment for Text-to-Speech voice
  • More informative error messages are now available

A fine tool, thanks for your efforts!

I'm interested in being notified when an element in a body's atmosphere is above a certain value. With the parameters currently available for custom criteria that doesn't seem possible?

ohh, this is so useful, thanks for working on this! Now I can see if I'm missing any shepherd moons etc (I presume those are moons that are in between rings, so probably a sign of a big ring system?). Can it detect ringed stars too? Or just large ring systems that don't necessarily have moons in them?
Correct. "Shepherd moons" for the purposes of this tool are any moons that around found closer to their parent planet than the inner edge of any ring. There is also a check for large rings (>1 light-second wide) which can potentially be triggered by the rings of a planet or star, though there is no check for just any ring at all on a star at the moment.

A fine tool, thanks for your efforts!

I'm interested in being notified when an element in a body's atmosphere is above a certain value. With the parameters currently available for custom criteria that doesn't seem possible?
Not at the moment, though it's something I'd like to add. Ideally everything in the journal will eventually be accessible. I'll bump it up the list and see if I can get it into a release this weekend, since you've asked for it specifically.

How is the pop up function meant to work? I'm running Elite full screen and have yet to have anything pop up.

edit: with that in mind I pin the Observatory window on top of Elite, reduce it to a small size and keep it in the corner of the screen. It might be nice if A. there was a dark theme, and B. the latest entry could be at the top rather than the bottom, so that as the entries build up the oldest ones disappear below rather than it requiring vertical scrolling in order to see the newest entry.

The pop ups should be standard windows toasts/notifications, which may or may not appear depending on various game and windows settings. They aren't ideal and I've considered switching to something else, but it's been low priority. (You're the first person to mention them at all.)

A dark theme is definitely something I can look into adding. The window should scroll automatically to ensure the newest item is visible though. If it hasn't been doing that then there's some kind of bug happening. Having the option for them to be added bottom-up instead of top-down shouldn't be difficult though, so I'll see about adding it soon.

@Vithigar. i had an idea on how to add custom criteria easier. an elder scrolls modder by the name of arthmoor made a little program called a readme generator. you fill in the info and it generates a formatted text file. a small program like this with drop boxes for options and text areas for writing custom values would make adding custom critera super easy.

here is a link to the program: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/34109

o7

Yeah, adding some kind of UI for creating custom criteria is a big thing I want to tackle at some point. Will very likely warrant a version number bump when I finally get around to it. (v0.4, wheeeee)

An interface for simple "is {value} greater than {threshold}" checks won't be too difficult, but I'm hoping to be able to put something together that supports arbitrary complexity. For example "moon with a ring orbiting a planet with a ring with a difference in orbital inclination between the planet's ring and moon's orbit of at least 10°". I've got some ideas, just need time to implement and test them. I'm not exactly swimming in free time, and I'm not much of a UI person in the first place, so I don't want to promise anything at all in the way of timeframes.
I'm also lazy.

And of course, as I mention on my github page, and probably elsewhere, if you have a particular criteria you want and are having trouble making it work, let me know and maybe I can help out.

I got this error with the latest 260 release when trying to read all logs (256 seemed to read it OK though?):

...infinite rotation period? Okay then.

I'll have a fix for it... maybe tomorrow, but I have work and plans so can't make any promises.

It got all the way through my journals this time too. Great! I won't have a chance to fully play around with it until next week unfortunately. Since I play in VR, I want to try out the audio alerts.

...infinite rotation period? Okay then.

I'll have a fix for it... maybe tomorrow, but I have work and plans so can't make any promises.

I think it happened with Belt Clusters only:
{ "timestamp":"2017-04-19T02:49:19Z", "event":"Scan", "BodyName":"Eord Flyuae ZE-A g768 B A Belt Cluster 2", "DistanceFromArrivalLS":2172.151611, "RotationPeriod":inf }
{ "timestamp":"2017-04-22T05:47:15Z", "event":"Scan", "BodyName":"Eord Flyuae GM-V e2-644 A Belt Cluster 8", "DistanceFromArrivalLS":2.093270, "RotationPeriod":inf }
{ "timestamp":"2017-04-25T01:53:11Z", "event":"Scan", "BodyName":"Dryio Flyuae UA-M d8-4127 A A Belt Cluster 1", "DistanceFromArrivalLS":487.553986, "RotationPeriod":inf }

Those are the only ones I can find in my log, but while I could (and did) just edit them to numbers for now to get around it, it may be worth fixing in your program in case others run into it.

I wonder if its worth redefining "Wide Ring" as being "wide relative to the central object". At the moment it looks like it just calls any ring with width > 1ls "Wide" but that's not really significant at all for a gas giant (but may be considered large for a terrestrial planet). Could something like (>10x radius of central object) be a better definition of "Wide Ring" here? (I suppose I could just come up with a custom definition for that myself, if that's possible).

Top Bottom