Elite Observatory - Search your journal for potentially interesting objects, or notify you of new ones on the fly while exploring!

It should already be saving. A config file should be placed in %localappdata% with all your selected criteria, volume, and notification settings.
It's a new file for every version, so updates will reset everything, and the default behavior in .NET is apparently to hash the settings folder with the location and name of the exe, so moving the program resets it as well (edlaunch.exe seems to do the same thing). Something I want to address soon.

OK, I'll bet that's what was happening-- I was only restarting it when running a new version. Thanks!

It would be cool if third parties making tools for elite realized console players are getting no love from them for the most part. Eddb works a little bit but I've noticed it's not as accurate as it used to be. Edsm hasn't been able to properly sync to my profile since June. And now this one is for PC players only.

Thanks for making stuff for everyone else😔

It would be cool if console players realised that it's harder for third party programmers to write programs for consoles...

I would imagine that's because making stuff for consoles is much harder than making it for PC - consoles aren't really designed for people to just write little helper programs for, they have different file systems and accessibility. And on the PC the log files are output to locations that can be easily accessed by third party programs, on consoles they aren't (these are local files, not uploaded to some remote server (like edsm or eddb) that anything can check).

Yes, consoles are much more locked down than PCs are. Microsoft / Nintendo / Sony / etc generally want customers to have as little access to the internals (mostly of the software) as possible. Their business model is making money from customers purchasing games, not from selling the hardware itself. So, allowing third party apps access to the internals is only good as long as said access doesn't let customers bypass protections and play pirated games.

So no, it's not "lazy developers" or anything. It's that video game consoles are much more restricted than the general purpose personal computers. There's only so much you can do if you develop homebrew for them.

It would be cool if third parties making tools for elite realized console players are getting no love from them for the most part. Eddb works a little bit but I've noticed it's not as accurate as it used to be. Edsm hasn't been able to properly sync to my profile since June. And now this one is for PC players only.

Thanks for making stuff for everyone else😔
You're right, it would be cool. If only I had mentioned it somewhere else previously.

You're not forgotten, it's just a huge effort compared to the simplicity of reading the journal file on PC. I couldn't even hazard a guess as to when I'll have the chance to try getting it working, or how well it will even work once I do.

Well then it would be cool if people stayed out of it so we could all play the same freaking game. Console players barely get CQC we don't get vr we sure paid the same ing price for the game. Now the game is barely playable. I've lost millions in missions cause I couldn't hand them in for days. Constant blue screen crashes in conflict zones. At this point I would really like 2/3 of the cost I paid for the game back

Last edited:
Well then it would be cool if people stayed out of it so we could all play the same freaking game. Console players barely get CQC we don't get vr we sure paid the same gently caressing price for the game.(...)
But not the same for the machine its running on :D

But OP is right, wrong thread for such a discussion.

Thx for checking the update feature. It's hard to get all the various 3rd party tools which makes this a "freaking game" upto date without one ;)

I wouldn't start a new thread or respond to a different thread in response to something in this thread, regardless of if the response to this thread involved other topics as well. It is still about how even more things are being given to PC players but not console. Specifically the third party tool in this thread. Just because I listed a few other unfair things that coincide with the original issue doesn't mean that it changes the whole subject.

I'm not mad at third party developers though in honesty it's the console companies keeping third party devs off consoles. It doesn't make it less frustrating or infuriating.

I wouldn't start a new thread or respond to a different thread in response to something in this thread, regardless of if the response to this thread involved other topics as well. It is still about how even more things are being given to PC players but not console.

Things aren't being given to the PC players and not Consoles, things are being developed for the PC version because the console manufacturers have their machines deliberately locked down and that prevents developers from making stuff for them. If it was as easy for development for Consoles you would probably already have it. You should be directing your complaints to the Console makers, or stop supporting them until they start opening up their systems, complaining to an independant person making stuff for the PC version is not going to help.

Besides how hard would it be to let console players import like edsm tries to?
Importing on PC is reading a text file.

Importing from a console player requires the program to authenticate the player's Frontier account and then querying Frontier's webservice to get their journal data. Even then the journal data I'd get from the webservice will not be complete (it only sends recent data, not the full history, as far as I know), and can't be monitored in real time the same way I can watch a file, I'll have to keep sending requests to the web service over and over.
Also, the webservice might go down from time to time so you'll have outages that I can't do anything about.

It's not impossible. It's probably not even really difficult, but I've never worked with oAuth2/PKCE before so I'll be starting from scratch, and in comparison to what's required for reading a file it will probably be a hundred times as much code or more.

And again, it's something that I previously stated that I wanted to do before you came into this thread complaining about it. I'll let you know when it's done. In exchange can you please take your complaining elsewhere? I actually don't care how frustrated you might be with Sony or Microsoft or whoever else. This thread is here to help people with Elite Observatory, not serve as a sounding board for complaints about game console limitations.

Last edited:
That's the thing, it's just the reality of the situation that the console developers deliberately lock down their systems. If you want to use third party utilities, that means that you pretty much have to play on PC. Until the console makers change their tune, your only choices are to either not use third party tools, or switch to PC. It's not useful to complain to the hobbyist that's making one of those tools, who is just another player like yourself.

Boom, new version. https://github.com/Xjph/EliteObservatory/releases/tag/v0.3.19.271

This update addresses a couple of issues brought up in the past week, plus a couple of things I found myself.

• Added check for updates. A link will appear in the bottom left of the main window if a newer release is available
  • Will now migrate saved settings from previous versions as long as the exe is in the same location and has the same name
  • Fixed an error that could occur when enabling custom criteria if they were not enabled at program launch
  • Should no longer report duplicate entries when reading existing logs
  • Added check for landable planets with rings
  • Added check for "ringhugger" bodies orbiting very close to rings

Last edited:
acb.jpg

thx! :)

I mean... if you insist... 😉

Next update I plan to expand what's available for custom criteria (parent body data, rings, possibly whole system aggregation), assuming nothing breaks terribly before that.

Current "ringhugger" check is for a difference between ring edge and moon's semi-major axis of less than ten times the moon's radius. I might tighten it up a little if it triggers too frequently or if they end up just not looking close enough. I had one trigger tonight while playing and grabbed this shot from its surface:
2019-09-29 01-05-13 Eowyg Brai ZG-W c18-5 (HighRes).jpg

Current "ringhugger" check is for a difference between ring edge and moon's semi-major axis of less than ten times the moon's radius. I might tighten it up a little if it triggers too frequently or if they end up just not looking close enough. I had one trigger tonight while playing and grabbed this shot from its surface:

I have yet to have a ring hugger warning, but I get plenty of wide rings warnings, it doesn't appear to need tightening.

Just noticed something with the latest version, I don't know if it was there before, I don't remember it. Firing a probe into a ring will result in the warning of "nested moon."

I wonder if there are any ringhuggers with significantly inclined orbits (so you can get a really good view of the primary). Also I think I'd go with a triggering distance of 5x the moon's radius rather than 10x (is there a way to modify existing hardcoded criteria?)

Top Bottom