Elite Observatory - Search your journal for potentially interesting objects, or notify you of new ones on the fly while exploring!

I tried the same yesterday after fully scanning a system (so there was nothing more to be discovered) and got the same error. Reading all log files without Elite running doesn't trigger any error messages.
So a thing that I thought was happening is not (stopping log monitoring temporarily during a "read all"), so I'll just slip that in there for next release, and that should be the end of that error.

How mysterious!

Apologies, let me explain.

I saw the original post, and the link to github. At which point, I thought, "awesome, sharing code with the community!", and trundled to the provided link. That's when I got confuzzed. I saw a readme with... A zip download of the sources. Then I thought why are the sources in a zip file? Surely that's what github is for? Downloading the file, I then found a .gitignore in there... With no .git/ folder. Confuzzion became enhanced. Being a developer myself, it kind of gave me a major brain fart, because I couldn't understand what I was seeing... A github project with the sources in a zip file...

So I started to type a (very polite) post about my confuzzion, at which point I realised that the releases/ URI was not the main repo URI, at which point I realised that you were using github in the correct way.

I hope that explains it! I'll finish this post with the same words I finished the redacted post:

Right on, Commander!

I'll finish this post with the same words I finished the redacted post:

Right on, Commander!
Anmerkung 2020-02-12 205059.JPG

:D

Don't know how much work it would be, but having a semicolon (or maybe forward or backward slash?) instead of hyphen as the separator when copying results via clipboard would be great QOL improvement IMHO. Because hyphen is used in system names, it makes it impossible to paste into spreadsheets so that body names & other info fields are in their separate columns.
dash.png
dashdivisor.png

Last edited:
Don't know how much work it would be, but having a semicolon (or maybe forward or backward slash?) instead of hyphen as the separator when copying results via clipboard would be great QOL improvement IMHO. Because hyphen is used in system names, it makes it impossible to paste into spreadsheets so that body names & other info fields are in their separate columns.
View attachment 162171
View attachment 162173
It would be no work at all because the template used for copying lines is already user editable. :D
1581629854513.png

Though I'd suggest using %body% instead of %bodyL% because for reasons I can't remember I didn't make a separate token for the landable status. I should probably change that.

I wrote a custom criteria by copying the oblate gas giant criteria, and modifying to check for "Hot Jupiters" (period of 10 days or less). Does this look OK? Also might be worth sharing anyway.

Code:
<Criteria Comparator="And">
    <!-- Only check this against gas giants -->
    <Criteria Comparator="Equal" Value="1">
        <Operation Operator="Add">
            <FirstValue Type="Operation">
                            <FirstValue Type="EventData">PlanetClass:Sudarsky class I gas giant</FirstValue>
                            <SecondValue Type="EventData">PlanetClass:Sudarsky class II gas giant</SecondValue>
                        </Operation>
                    </FirstValue>
                    <SecondValue Type="Operation">
                            <FirstValue Type="EventData">PlanetClass:Sudarsky class III gas giant</FirstValue>
                            <SecondValue Type="EventData">PlanetClass:Sudarsky class IV gas giant</SecondValue>
                        </Operation>
                    </SecondValue>
                </Operation>
            </FirstValue>
                            <FirstValue Type="EventData">PlanetClass:Sudarsky class V gas giant</FirstValue>
                            <SecondValue Type="EventData">PlanetClass:Gas giant with water based life</SecondValue>
                        </Operation>
                    </FirstValue>
                            <FirstValue Type="EventData">PlanetClass:Gas giant with ammonia based life</FirstValue>
                                    <FirstValue Type="EventData">PlanetClass:Helium rich gas giant</FirstValue>
                                    <SecondValue Type="EventData">PlanetClass:Water giant</SecondValue>
                                </Operation>
                            </SecondValue>
                        </Operation>
                    </SecondValue>
                </Operation>
            </SecondValue>
        </Operation>
    </Criteria>
    <Criteria Comparator="Less" Value="864001">
        <Operation Operator="Multiply">
              <FirstValue Type="EventData">OrbitalPeriod</FirstValue>
              <SecondValue Type="Number">1</SecondValue>
        </Operation>
    </Criteria>
    <Description>Hot Jupiter</Description>
</Criteria>

Added to aggregate post.

Added to aggregate post.

Oh that reminds me, I did find a flaw in the logic. It will trigger when you find a binary pair of gas giants. I'm not sure if there's a way to add a test for the parent object to be a star and that it's not in a binary orbit with another planet.

Oh that reminds me, I did find a flaw in the logic. It will trigger when you find a binary pair of gas giants. I'm not sure if there's a way to add a test for the parent object to be a star and that it's not in a binary orbit with another planet.
The direct parent object of a binary is a "null" object which might already be testable in custom criteria, but I'm not completely sure.
If someone else doesn't figure it out by the time I get home later this evening I'll look into it myself.

The direct parent object of a binary is a "null" object which might already be testable in custom criteria, but I'm not completely sure.
If someone else doesn't figure it out by the time I get home later this evening I'll look into it myself.
Okay, so the short answer is "kind of, but it can be unreliable."

The long answer is that you can, in theory, check for an object orbiting a barycentre instead of another object by checking it's "parent" object for a condition that must be true, for example, a distance from arrival that's greater than zero. The non-existent parent will fail this check.

The catch is that this check will return the same result for both a binary object, and an object for which you have not yet scanned its parent (scanning an "a" moon before the parent planet, for example), so it's not perfect.

It's something that's worth being able to check though, so I'll look into adding a "doesn't directly orbit an object" criteria that can be used in a later version.

Last edited:
Would anyone be able to make (or know if it already exists?) custom criteria that would alert me to any 8th moons of gas giants?

Would anyone be able to make (or know if it already exists?) custom criteria that would alert me to any 8th moons of gas giants?
Not at the moment, and I don't think it's currently possible to do reliably with custom criteria as they currently exist, but it could be added in the future.

For now you can manually search your journal files for the string <space>h" and that should find them (I used Notepad++'s "Find in Files" feature). Though some 8th moons of things other than gas giants would be included I expect that such things would be rare.
1582199653086.png

Not at the moment, and I don't think it's currently possible to do reliably with custom criteria as they currently exist, but it could be added in the future.

For now you can manually search your journal files for the string <space>h" and that should find them (I used Notepad++'s "Find in Files" feature). Though some 8th moons of things other than gas giants would be included I expect that such things would be rare.
View attachment 162874
Know if there would be any way to have EDO search for that string on the fly so I can get a text to speech notification of it when I find one? (Granted I’m normally looking for it while scanning, but just in case it’s a pre-discovered system)

Hi CMDR Vithigar,

Thanks very much for all your work on this project, it's invaluable to explorers.

May I please make a request? Can we please search for "StarType" and "Luminosity"?

Sometimes I forget to check non-arrival stars and it would be great to be alerted.

Btw, what does the little round symbol in the 3rd column mean?

Thanks very much o7

Know if there would be any way to have EDO search for that string on the fly so I can get a text to speech notification of it when I find one? (Granted I’m normally looking for it while scanning, but just in case it’s a pre-discovered system)
Not at the moment, but as I mentioned in the previous post, I'll look into adding similar functionality in the future.

Hi CMDR Vithigar,

Thanks very much for all your work on this project, it's invaluable to explorers.

May I please make a request? Can we please search for "StarType" and "Luminosity"?

Sometimes I forget to check non-arrival stars and it would be great to be alerted.

Btw, what does the little round symbol in the 3rd column mean?

Thanks very much o7
Star type and luminosity not being included as testable values for custom criteria was an oversight on my part. I'll make sure to add them.

The little round symbol is a unicode "globe with meridians" and indicates if a body is landable. It's kind of a leftover from earlier unreleased versions of Elite Observatory. I'm not really sure how useful it is to have there now and might remove it in a future version.

Last edited:
Star type and luminosity not being included at testable values for custom criteria was an oversight on my part. I'll make sure to add them.

The little round symbol is a unicode "globe with meridians" and indicates if a body is landable. It's kind of a leftover from earlier unreleased versions of Elite Observatory. I'm not really sure how useful it is to have there now and might remove it in a future version.

Wonderful, thanks very much! Ahh yeah, the landable symbol makes sense, maybe it's useful for some folks?

Sorry one other quick question if that's ok. I'm getting alerts for >1EM and Tidal Lock .. is there something interesting about this combo? I wasn't sure, maybe I'm missing something cool

Sorry one other quick question if that's ok. I'm getting alerts for >1EM and Tidal Lock .. is there something interesting about this combo? I wasn't sure, maybe I'm missing something cool
It's part of the example custom criteria file that's created if you have custom criteria enabled but no criteria file exists. It's written to demonstrate how simple combined checks work and not intended to be interesting at all. You can remove it from the custom criteria xml file, or just disable custom criteria in the settings if you're not using them.

Top Bottom