Elite on the Rift S

The text is amazing now and totally readable in the Rift S, but I am finding the camera's position is moving around as I rotate my head. Is anyone else having perspective issues with the Rift S?

OK, the problem went away when I took my headset off and put it back on. But I had to reset my view. However, the camera keeps getting repositioned below my dashboard. I have to reset view all the time.

Won't have my S until this afternoon, but with the original Rift on my PC ED would take a little while to 'settle down' in camera position before becoming stable. It wasn't so picky before 3.3 was released, but no complaints because there were some nice things come out of that :)

No I wasn't. Although some sun was coming in through one window. Maybe that affected it. Fortunately I have a "Reset View" command on Voice Attack that will fix it for me.

There appears to be some 'interesting' glitches with (I assume) the software as I tried ED brieflly (my X52 has gone wonky so control is... odd) just after setting the S up and it was fine, the usual few seconds before the view settles. Digging out my Hotas X I tried ED again late'ish last night, cockpit view moving with headset movement.
This was followed by no tracking of the touch controllers - then a crash of the Rift S to the point of 3 dots in the screen and a switch off.
All appears ok this morning, for now at least.

Issues aside, being able to read all of the cockpit text easily was rather nice :)

Slopey

Volunteer Moderator
OK, the problem went away when I took my headset off and put it back on. But I had to reset my view. However, the camera keeps getting repositioned below my dashboard. I have to reset view all the time.

I'm seeing this also with the S. I've tried it with window blinds up/down, different lighting levels in the room etc, but it still happens. Tracking is fine in other games - might need a bug report.

I tend to get it if I look up towards the cockpit roof - when I look back down again, the viewpoint position is set to my commander's lap (right infront of the SRV screen).

I've been experiencing the view jumping to my lap as well, does it for Elite, DCS and iRacing. The tracking works fine for everything else which uses the touch controllers, so I tried seeing what would happen if I placed the touch controllers to the left and right of my wheel when using iRacing. Managed over an hour driving round the Ring without a single issue. Tried again with Elite after it glitched and this also seemed to work. Kind of wondering if the cameras seeing the touch controls but not receiving any movement info back from them lets it know that your head has not moved. Can't promise that it works, but interested if it helps.

As a follow-up to @dave_m 's post above: my Touch controllers hang either side of my monitor when not being used (those wrist straps have some use!) and I've not seen any unusual control effects, so he may have a point.
Just been doing the Guardian bits with my alt (ruins, Geo, Bio) on the S.... just driving around ogling the much clearer graphics :)

Thanks for the touch controller ideas. I will try this out next time I play. Just got my Anaconda so hopefully it works as I intend to put some time into the game.

I'm having the exact same issues with the Rift S as well, only on ED which is a real bummer. I have to reset HMD almost 10 times a minute, making the game almost completely unplayable :/ Try to only dock into a coriolis station while your seat suddenly jumps below the dashboard and feel the pain :'(

I have bound the HMD reset function to a button on my HOTAS (X52, D button), this works but when you're in the middle of a fight and your seat position won't stop moving back to a weird spot (below the dashboard) and you are constantly hitting your assigned button to reset the HMD view all the time, it's not just annoying, it's a real pain!

If ever ED devs would like to have a look at it I will gladly send them anything thay might need to help them solve the issue, screenshots, videos, logs etc... and I'm at their entire disposal (so guys don't be afraid to ask). So far I haven't been able to solve that issue by myself, have checked everything beyond imagination to try to narrow down the issue, USB power, updates, video drivers etc etc... no luck so far. All the rest of the games work perfectly well and even when I have to hit the occulus button on the right controller to get to the desktop to reset the view, and then back to the game, that position stays on without any problem. This situation only occurs on ED (not to say MY favorite by far, of course)

For now I'm quite forced to continue playing the old fashion way... mouse and monitor and leave VR Elite aside.. until the issue gets fixed hopefully :/

Oh and btw this is my first post on the forum (althought I've been an elite fan since.. 1984 and have over 900 hours on ED) so this is a big "hello commanders" :)

This inside out tracking - why is it not confused by the changing image on the monitor in front of the headset? I understood that this type of tracking works by doing some clever image processing on the cameras' views based on objets in the room. If you are sitting at a desk directly in front of a computer monitor mirroring the game scene, then surely this will confuse the tracking? I asked this on the XPlane forum and got the answer "it just doesn't" which did not convince me.

So, as a long shot, is it worth trying minimising the main game window when in VR?

This inside out tracking - why is it not confused by the changing image on the monitor in front of the headset? I understood that this type of tracking works by doing some clever image processing on the cameras' views based on objets in the room. If you are sitting at a desk directly in front of a computer monitor mirroring the game scene, then surely this will confuse the tracking? I asked this on the XPlane forum and got the answer "it just doesn't" which did not convince me.

So, as a long shot, is it worth trying minimising the main game window when in VR?

Markerless tracking only uses what the sensors can observe in the environment to calculate the position and orientation of the camera. The method depends on natural features instead of specific markers, and it can use a model-based approach or do image processing in order to detect features which provide data to determine position and orientation.

In a nutshell it will environment scan for static references over a reasonable sample duration.This eliminates high volatility references such as the monitor you described.

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately that didn't work (I even turned off the monitor as I couldn't minimize the window, to make sure)
What is disturbing is that I only have that issue with ED so far. Every other game work without any issue.
I have resetted and rebound all my HOTAS controls to make sure there wouldn't be any interference with any command in case and start from fresh... same effects. :/

I have noticed that the view turns a bit greyish everytime time right before the HMD position resets itself to a weird position, would that mean anything that could point me in the right direction to solve the problem ?
Thank you again guys for your help :)

So the more I read online the more confused I get - Do I upgrade my rift to the Rift S this week or hold on for a couple of months?

I'm going to hold on for a few months and see how everything pans out. I jumped in to the CV1 about 6 months after it launched, then about two months later they had a fairly sizeable price drop (well they included the controllers for the same price with the headset) - it's nearly the summer here so being in a VR headset isn't high on my list of things to do over the next few months, gives me time to save up a bit and consider the options in October'ish.

The lack of a decent audio option is a real kicker for me, it boggles my mind how that crappy solution ever got passed. Hopefully Oculus or a third party will come up with a good option/bolt on - if not, well there's always HP's and Valves offerings to consider, although both need to come down in price before I could properly consider them.

Top Bottom