Elite on the Rift S

After more use, I’ve got a further gripe about the S - my nose is slightly too large for the HMD. I have it fully extended forward and have the soft rubber nose-piece removed, and the ridge is still just rubbing the bridge of my nose. Annoying, but not painful.

I’m going to pop a piece of foam on the offending bit, and if that fails, out comes the Dremel!

I think defiguring yourself by taking a dremel to the nose might be a bit extreme just to use your rift S :p

I think defiguring yourself by taking a dremel to the nose might be a bit extreme just to use your rift S :p
Genuine photo of me emerging from VR:

Update on the head tracking issue.
(This is when the color desaturates for a second and then head position moves; needs to be re-centered)

I’m tracking this down to being a CPU load issue. VR is ton more CPU bound than the game is in flat mode. I have an i5-6400 and it isn’t keeping up very well. You’ll see this get even worse when the FPS drops below 80 and the system engages ASW to synth intermediate frames. The oculus software is what is needing to generate those frames so that’s directly a CPU process.
My CPU basically lives at 100% usage on all cores when playing in VR, so when things get fast and heavy something has to give, and apparently it’s the head tracking that will fall to the side.

I just tested and found that setting the ocvr server process to above normal priority will keep it from being sacrificed when the CPU is over 100%.
High worked, and then I knocked it back to “above normal” and that seemed to be enough as well.
After setting priority above normal I didn’t get any desaturates screens or head jumping position. (For me it’s about a foot to the left and down 10 inches or so; like I’m a kid peeking over the sensor screen from beside the chair)

I’m hoping oculus gives us an update that can reduce the cpu overhead of the software, but ultimately I’m going to need a CPU upgrade. By board can take up to an i7-6700k or 7700k so I’m watching prices on those. I think I’ll stick with the skylake part since kabylake seems to just be new video encode stuff.

How sensitive is the headset to lighting conditions? I'm not playing in a completely dark room, but my lighting setup is pretty dim. But with 3 monitors running and some accent lighting in the rom in general i hope it will be enough for tracking without having to turn on the ceiling lights.

How sensitive is the headset to lighting conditions? I'm not playing in a completely dark room, but my lighting setup is pretty dim. But with 3 monitors running and some accent lighting in the rom in general i hope it will be enough for tracking without having to turn on the ceiling lights.
I was playing this morning with my room’s window blinds closed, quite dim in the room and the only other light source being the monitor. Didn’t have any tracking issues.

I play in a kinda dim room with only one monitor running. Tracking works good.
Be sure to have some distance from the headset and the monitor. I make sute to be like 1-1.5 m from it else it kinda messes my tracking in seated position.

I've tried quite dim, as my room usually is; and I've also tried with the lights all one and it's quite bright. I don't think it makes a difference. I think it's using (at least partially) infrared to detect anyway.

If you're having tracking issues (desaturated screen/head position jumps) I think you should check your CPU usage. If you're hitting 100% like I am try setting your OCvr server process to higher than normal priority.
After I set to above normal priority, I continued to play in a HAZ RES where my poor CPU was being brutalized and staying at 100%. It still does drop some frames and get quite jumpy, but no more needing to re-center HMD position.

I play in a kinda dim room with only one monitor running. Tracking works good.
Be sure to have some distance from the headset and the monitor. I make sute to be like 1-1.5 m from it else it kinda messes my tracking in seated position.

Great news :D So exited to see how much more clarity i get in the S. :D

Great news :D So exited to see how much more clarity i get in the S. :D
As I've said, I truly don't think it has anything to do with how lit the room is or how close you are to monitors. I'm playing ED about 3 feet from a 32" TV as my monitor and it has nothing to do with tracking at all.
The tracking issues I've seen are a momentary desaturated screen and then the head position jumps. I'm all but certain I've tracked this down to CPU overloads as they happy more frequently in heavy RES combat and yesterday I 100% fixed them by setting the oculus server process to above normal priority so when the CPU maxes out it makes other processes wait first.
I have an i5-6400 so I'm planning to upgrade to i7 to solve my ED problems. My system is CPU choked.
I expect if everybody else that has had this head position issue checks their CPU usage they may find they are peaking out.

As I've said, I truly don't think it has anything to do with how lit the room is or how close you are to monitors. I'm playing ED about 3 feet from a 32" TV as my monitor and it has nothing to do with tracking at all.
The tracking issues I've seen are a momentary desaturated screen and then the head position jumps. I'm all but certain I've tracked this down to CPU overloads as they happy more frequently in heavy RES combat and yesterday I 100% fixed them by setting the oculus server process to above normal priority so when the CPU maxes out it makes other processes wait first.
I have an i5-6400 so I'm planning to upgrade to i7 to solve my ED problems. My system is CPU choked.
I expect if everybody else that has had this head position issue checks their CPU usage they may find they are peaking out.

That's exactly what I get when I'm too close to the monitor, a momentary desaturated screen and then head position moves to my lap. If i recenter, it does the same. Moved like 1.3 m approx from my monitor and that doesn't happen at all.
It really can't be the cpu in my case, I have an OC i7 8700k. I think it gets to like 50-60% load in elite

That's exactly what I get when I'm too close to the monitor, a momentary desaturated screen and then head position moves to my lap. If i recenter, it does the same. Moved like 1.3 m approx from my monitor and that doesn't happen at all.
It really can't be the cpu in my case, I have an OC i7 8700k. I think it gets to like 50-60% load in elite
Hmm. the plot thickens... Could you do a favor and test this next time you play? After launching set the priority of the oc server process to above normal? It's interesting that your position in the room seems to impact it, but I'm still thinking about that since I went from it resetting about once per second in heavy combat, to not at all with this change. And I didn't move in the room or change anything else.

Maybe I'll try moving back or turning so I'm not facing the monitor at all, without setting process priority.

Additional thought: what is the refresh frequency of your monitors? The rift asks what you lighting frequency is so it must matter.
If it doesn’t match your lighting maybe try locking it to the same as your lighting.

Hmm. the plot thickens... Could you do a favor and test this next time you play? After launching set the priority of the oc server process to above normal? It's interesting that your position in the room seems to impact it, but I'm still thinking about that since I went from it resetting about once per second in heavy combat, to not at all with this change. And I didn't move in the room or change anything else.

Maybe I'll try moving back or turning so I'm not facing the monitor at all, without setting process priority.

I'll definitely try to reproduce it. I'll measure the exact distance this happens too. Actually come to think of it, it happened a lot in project cars 2 but i chalked that up to poor optimisation. Again i was close to the monitor. No desaturated though.
Anyway I'll try it again in the weekend when I'm home.

Additional thought: what is the refresh frequency of your monitors? The rift asks what you lighting frequency is so it must matter.
If it doesn’t match your lighting maybe try locking it to the same as your lighting.

It's 60 but I'm not sure that matters much, it might just be reflections messing with the tracking. Also my desktop has led lights in front and its also next to the monitor. Maybe that might interfere with tracking?! I'm really not well informed into how rift s tracking works in detail and what environmental factors can disrupt it seriously

I'll definitely try to reproduce it. I'll measure the exact distance this happens too. Actually come to think of it, it happened a lot in project cars 2 but i chalked that up to poor optimisation. Again i was close to the monitor. No desaturated though.
Anyway I'll try it again in the weekend when I'm home.

It's 60 but I'm not sure that matters much, it might just be reflections messing with the tracking. Also my desktop has led lights in front and its also next to the monitor. Maybe that might interfere with tracking?! I'm really not well informed into how rift s tracking works in detail and what environmental factors can disrupt it seriously
Hmm. yeah well this is all quite complicated.

For me the process priority has totally solved it so I thought I had it dead to rights. I mean, my CPU is still so stressed that I get occasional momentary hourglass in heavy combat with a ton of NPCs around, which used to be when it was just constantly grey and moving me around. Now it doesn't reset even once, but throws hourglass in the game instead. That has to be because ED is being asked to wait since it's a lower priority.

But if it you're not maxing out then it's clearly not the whole story.
Might be worth having a CPU usage monitor on when you test next. I'd love to know if you're getting spikes.

Again. hoping for a fast firmware update.

Welp, new Rift S owner here. I've seen it said here that the S is intended to be the headset that pulls a lot of new users into VR, and I guess it worked. Not technically my first VR experience with Elite, but only because I got to try it for like five minutes at a demo years ago. You folks weren't kidding about it being a totally different experience. Amazing fun!

Big shout out to DrKaii for EDProfiler! My first experience was almost unusably jerky and distorted, in hindsight because it was still basically using my 2D quality settings. Would have taken me forever and a day to figure out a combination of settings that gives me good performance, but applying the VR Medium profile did the trick in one go. I'm still tweaking, but so much easier having a good starting point.

Other thoughts ... not having much used the first-gen sets I'm not sure what SDE is supposed to look like. I can definitely see the pixels in the Rift S, but not distractingly so once I'm engrossed in the game. I suppose the audio is worse than dedicated headphones can be, but it's not bad and I definitely appreciate being able to hear if the cat's knocking something over. I've got several hundred hours playing with KB+M, and it only took a few minutes to get the hang of finding them by feel. Works fine, and honestly I don't know how I'd manage if I had fewer buttons than the keyboard provides. Might swap out the mouse for a stick one of these days though. But on that note, I think the biggest surprise was that in VR, I'm substantially more competent in FA-off flight! It feels like the headset experience is actually engaging my sense of equilibrium, because suddenly I have a sense of my motion in space that I've never had playing in 2D.

Welcome to the club!

Regarding SDE - to my eyes, on the original Rift it was like sitting just a little too close to a 14” CRT telly screen, while the Rift S is like sitting just a little too close to an early laptop screen. It’s a definite improvement, and I find it much easier to “see through”.

As for FA-off, totally agree! I started flying almost exclusively with it off a few months back and it totally revitalised the game for me. Every landing comes with a soupçon of accomplishment, and any planetary landing on a >1G world becomes a right knicker-gripper :)

Well it arrived on Tuesday and I finally got to play with it last night - wow it is a big difference over the CV1. The clarity is unreal - had no problems in the 2 hours game play.
Sweet spot is a little too sweet and I have noticed that the blur towards the edges is more noticeable but I will get used to that
Had no headphones on and the audio was ok - wife in same room with the tv on and I could still play comfortably with out disturbing her and vice versa.
Best news driving around a planet for 30 minutes and no motion sickness for the first time.
Hardest job - setting the rift on my head to give pure clarity with my tri-vocal glasses - but once positioned - no problems

Will try some more tonight to see if I notice any issues

Well it arrived on Tuesday and I finally got to play with it last night - wow it is a big difference over the CV1. The clarity is unreal - had no problems in the 2 hours game play.
Sweet spot is a little too sweet and I have noticed that the blur towards the edges is more noticeable but I will get used to that
Had no headphones on and the audio was ok - wife in same room with the tv on and I could still play comfortably with out disturbing her and vice versa.
Best news driving around a planet for 30 minutes and no motion sickness for the first time.
Hardest job - setting the rift on my head to give pure clarity with my tri-vocal glasses - but once positioned - no problems

Will try some more tonight to see if I notice any issues
I was wondering about the blur this morning - I’m not sure whether it’s more noticeable to me because the sweet spot is so much clearer, or if it is because of the actual lenses. It seems much worse in my outside peripheral vision, looking towards my nose seems relatively clear.

I was wondering about the blur this morning - I’m not sure whether it’s more noticeable to me because the sweet spot is so much clearer, or if it is because of the actual lenses. It seems much worse in my outside peripheral vision, looking towards my nose seems relatively clear.

Same for me really. I thought it weird at first, but got used to it

Top Bottom