Elite on the Rift S

I haven't got an S, but have observed the eventual drift with every HMD I do have.

I'm under the impression Elite handles its own relative motion tracking, rather than "hard snapping" the position at the headrest directly to your position in real space, in absolute numbers, when you hit the reset orientation key, so any momentary loss of tracking makes the virtual space origin float away from the real world one, rather than realigning as soon as the HMD finds its bearings again.

I was wondering about the blur this morning - I’m not sure whether it’s more noticeable to me because the sweet spot is so much clearer, or if it is because of the actual lenses. It seems much worse in my outside peripheral vision, looking towards my nose seems relatively clear.

Same for me too and I think it’s a combination of on physical IPD adjustment and that when it is clear it’s so much clearer than the CV1.

How does the guardian system work with the S? Does it remember the boundaries between sessions? or do i have to paint it each time?

How does the guardian system work with the S? Does it remember the boundaries between sessions? or do i have to paint it each time?
It's supposed to remember them, and can supposedly remember a few locations and use the correct boundary for each one. However, so far I've just played seated in a fairly cozy home office, so I told the setup program to skip guardian setup. Hasn't caused any trouble that I've noticed. Although that did mean I was on my own when I got up to gawk at my cockpit from behind the chair.

The text is amazing now and totally readable in the Rift S, but I am finding the camera's position is moving around as I rotate my head. Is anyone else having perspective issues with the Rift S?
The important thing for inside out that relies on camera like this seems to do is stable lighting, there are several people around the web pointing out that it uses near infrared light, so sunlight can definitely mess around with its perspective.

There are also people indicating that if you get a cheap infrared floodlight, the kind you normally use for a surveillance camera with night vision, it will 1: be invisible to you, 2: provide a stable source of the light. 3: allow you not to worry about your actual visual lighting.

I think defiguring yourself by taking a dremel to the nose might be a bit extreme just to use your rift S :p

Me: What's a dremel?
ca0aabba-29e3-4502-bb73-68c3fd22abab

Ohh...

No drifting issue with the standard Rift in my case. Exception being than inevitably on startup, my attitude changes to 90° clockwise when VR space kicks in. F8 fixes that quickly and solidly though.

:D S

Same for me too and I think it’s a combination of on physical IPD adjustment and that when it is clear it’s so much clearer than the CV1.

Started last night thinking that the blur was too much to put up with but continued playing around with the way it was on my head and suddenly the blur was a lot less noticeable. - had a great time in a CZ and totally did not notice it! Will try some more tonight

Started last night thinking that the blur was too much to put up with but continued playing around with the way it was on my head and suddenly the blur was a lot less noticeable. - had a great time in a CZ and totally did not notice it! Will try some more tonight
This morning I was having a closer squint at the blurry outside peripheries and I noticed an odd thing - the graphics seem to get super blurry but then go really sharp again right at the edge of the lens. I closed the opposite eye, so it’s not brain shenanigans.

I’m guessing that’s a fresnel lens thingy.

This morning I was having a closer squint at the blurry outside peripheries and I noticed an odd thing - the graphics seem to get super blurry but then go really sharp again right at the edge of the lens. I closed the opposite eye, so it’s not brain shenanigans.

I’m guessing that’s a fresnel lens thingy.

I think that is just the lack of IPD adjustment. Unless your IPD happens to be where they physically set it (or really close) with the lenses then it is wrong and all sorts of things will probably have an effect. I noticed today that if I move the headset a little bit lopsided to the left I get a better sweet spot and the slight blurriness in my right eye improves.

Another example is if I look right back over my shoulder everything looks like I've gone cross-eyed, but if I then push the headset a little in the same direction looking it all clears up.

I wouldn't mind betting people with an IPD <64mm get double vision looking towards their nose and people with one greater than 64mm get it when look away. The further away from that in either direction the worse it gets (I'm on 67 and looking away from centre is pretty bad).

If they did this on the original Rift I doubt many would have noticed because it was so blurry anyway but with the Rift S it is really noticeable because when it is right everything is so clear. I'm learning to move my head instead of my eyes, but what a shame they skimmed where they did on the S.

OK tonight clear crystal vision with no noticeable blur towards the edge. Only difference was I started the game from my desktop rather than from the rift library.
Should not make a difference I know but it was noticeably better.

The sweet spot on the Rift S is pretty small for me with IPD of 67.7, but when it's there clarity is great! Having moved from the original rift I see the clarity as great but the lack of physical IPD not quite so...

For anyone who thinks sound is a bit 'off' on the Rift S - check your audio settings and try changing them to those below, for me it is a massive difference to default!

The sweet spot on the Rift S is pretty small for me with IPD of 67.7, but when it's there clarity is great! Having moved from the original rift I see the clarity as great but the lack of physical IPD not quite so...

For anyone who thinks sound is a bit 'off' on the Rift S - check your audio settings and try changing them to those below, for me it is a massive difference to default!
View attachment 134114

That really does work. I estimate that makes the integrated speakers around 50% less pants!

That really does work. I estimate that makes the integrated speakers around 50% less pants!
For me it made the difference in being able to hear ED sounds with background noise (TV) or not. The little speakers are not the best... But, if you cup your hands around your ears then they are surprisingly loud and detailed... Just poor design. I just use my headphones plugged into the S if I want good, detailed sound, even if it is extra hassle :)

For me it made the difference in being able to hear ED sounds with background noise (TV) or not. The little speakers are not the best... But, if you cup your hands around your ears then they are surprisingly loud and detailed... Just poor design. I just use my headphones plugged into the S if I want good, detailed sound, even if it is extra hassle :)

Yeah I am using Bluetooth headphones as someone suggested because the wires were doing my head in and I found the integrated ones useless.

With your little trick though the built in ones are actually useable.

Has anyone else the duplicating right touch controller issue? I now have 14 listed :p

Doesn't affect anything, but looks very odd...

i'm currently struggling with the washed out colour flash and position reset, it's pretty frustrating and it happens quite frequently. I suspect it's the cpu being maxed out as mentioned in earlier threads, but is there a work around? I have an i3 8100, so prob looking at upgrading that.

My Rift CV1 has recently stopped working (headset died, but it had become flaky anyway), so I'm wondering whether to get the Rift S or wait for something else later this year. I just wanted to get views on the black levels - are they an issue for ED, as some reviews suggested they might be? Also, are god rays eliminated now (I found them quite annoying against a dark background on the CV1)?

My Rift CV1 has recently stopped working (headset died, but it had become flaky anyway), so I'm wondering whether to get the Rift S or wait for something else later this year. I just wanted to get views on the black levels - are they an issue for ED, as some reviews suggested they might be? Also, are god rays eliminated now (I found them quite annoying against a dark background on the CV1)?
Blacks levels I’d say are comparable to HDMI Limited RGB output on the CV1 Rift. I dropped the Gamma level in game by two notches and it’s good enough for my eyes - I felt the difference between deep space black and the interstellar dust clouds with Full RGB output was a bit too much in my Rift, like the night sky was full of wispy clouds.

God rays are pretty much gone, stars still aren’t points of light, they have tiny demi-god rays to either side of them, slightly less than the diameter of the star dot. In the Rift they always had some rainbow rays coming from them and looked a bit blurry. It’s a much better night sky in my view. I’ve also been able to take the cockpit HUD brightness setting up a bit as the rays are gone from that too.

Top Bottom