Elite on the Rift S

Don't use the elite VR presets with the S.

I would honestly not use them with anything but that's me.

Practically the only difference between VR medium and ultra is extra supersampling and additional HMD-Q.
And a nudge on ambient occlusion, if memory serves.
With the higher native resolution of the S balloons quickly.
And it's the three settings with the greatest reduction in fps, and least benefit in PQ.

Running hmd-q of 1.3 on the S is about the equivalent of running one of 1.5 with the cv1/vive.
And the VR presets in elite are so dumb that's basically all that seperate them is the end rendered resolution. And ultra adds supersampling on top of hmd-q and this serves no purpose on the new sets.

All other settings are pretty much left at low or medium.

Ed was also the one game that manage to truly kneel the CPU into submission when on my 4790k, in situations with a lot of AI, and physics it would barely handle 30fps regardless of graphics settings and I saw similar graph as op.
Gpu at <30% , cpu pinned at near 100%.
Most noticeable in resource sites, handling all the asteroid physics, the AI pathing, combat and later the debris.
If I was an explorer then I wouldn't have noticed, that's how task specific a CPU bottleneck can be.

All other games were performing better than elite, and frankly solution is play less elite or buy a better CPU.
I went with the second but saw clear and present benefits in every title not just elite.

The oculus recommended specs are an average from their titles on the store, and still half of those are ports from gear VR.
And most specs from devs even are trying to be nice and low-balling them a lot As well.

Also. Just remembered.
The S unlike the cv1 .
In oculus settings , where you input IPD values.

There is a performance or quality option.
For a certain GPU's that is set by default to quality. I'm not certain but I suspect that would be any gpu that meet or exceed the recommended.

And what does that do?
Well it's a preset pixel density of about 1.2x.
That's the same setting as HMD-Q is in elite. And any setting added later becomes a compound multiplier.
And suddenly adding an ss of 1.2 in game causes it to render almost the same as if you had directly applied a value of 1.6, and that's with the S resolution.

For the cv1 that compares to an hmd-q value of 1.9...

My only concern is the white flashes. I've read that it is a software issue, that was supposedly solved with an update. I've also read that it is a hardware issue, that can be solved with a new display cable. So I'll just keep my eye on that and maybe contact Oculus if it doesn't get any better over the next couple of updates.
I just received a firmware update for the Rift S & Touch controllers this morning - I had an hour in Elite without any garbled static flashes or audio popping/crackle. I also had an hour in SkyrimVR but had the screen flash on two occasions, so the issue still persists.

It’s a lot better than it was (I was getting the blipverts at least once every ten minutes) and it looks to be something they can address through updates, so fingers crossed!

Yeah I was at first getting those every 5-10 minutes.

On the 1.39 update in the beta channel that got reduced to almost 30+ minutes on average between each flash.

I suspect this is as USB driver issue.
Cause after upgrading to win10 1903 last week, the S would no longer connect to my pci-x USB card..
After uninstalling said device and re-installing drivers it works but present varying amounts of static.

Running off the mother board USB 3 works fine.

I think you’re correct with Rift S having USB problems, when I first got the S I had it plugged into a USB 3 card I bought for my Rift sensors and it kept switching my computer back on a few seconds after shutdown - I changed the selective suspend settings in power management but it didn’t help. Plugging into the motherboard solved that issue.

The static has definitely improved over the last two firmware updates so I’m hopeful they can solve the issue.

Now all I need to do is increase the sound quality without resorting to plug-in headphones - I’m going to have a do at making shaped card ear-lug extensions, I’ll look a right berk but I reckon it’ll do the trick :D

Now all I need to do is increase the sound quality without resorting to plug-in headphones - I’m going to have a do at making shaped card ear-lug extensions, I’ll look a right berk but I reckon it’ll do the trick :D
You are right in the 'cup your ears' - doing just that with your hands improves both perceived quality and volume (just paint the ear lugs a bright colour and role-play it if questioned :) )

I updated my Nvidia drivers this morning and no more white flashes (so far). I also was playing with settings and with the debug HUD so that I maintain 80fps most of the time, but it still drops to 40 in a RES. Still, it looks great at 40. I think ASW must be working much better than before. One thing I noticed was that even sitting in a station, offloading terrain work from CPU to GPU really increased the performance headroom. I thought that only applied to planets.

Anyway, regarding USB problems, my S wasn't even detected until I plugged it into a port on the MB.

I updated my Nvidia drivers this morning and no more white flashes (so far). I also was playing with settings and with the debug HUD so that I maintain 80fps most of the time, but it still drops to 40 in a RES. Still, it looks great at 40. I think ASW must be working much better than before. One thing I noticed was that even sitting in a station, offloading terrain work from CPU to GPU really increased the performance headroom. I thought that only applied to planets.

Anyway, regarding USB problems, my S wasn't even detected until I plugged it into a port on the MB.

Congrats on the purchase and glad it is working well for you. I was a bit concerned you might have the same problems as Avindair. I know you have hyperthreading and he doesn't but out of curiosity what is your CPU use like?

Congrats on the purchase and glad it is working well for you. I was a bit concerned you might have the same problems as @Avindair. I know you have hyperthreading and he doesn't but out of curiosity what is your CPU use like?
Yeah, the S has a much improved image over the CV1, but I wonder if maybe I needed to wear my cheaters with the CV1. Oh well, c'est la vie.

I started with VR Medium settings, added FXAA and medium bloom, and set terrain work to 100% GPU.

Using Task Manager, sitting in the hangar, the CPU is 40% and the GPU is 50%.
Sitting on a station pad the CPU stays 40% and the GPU goes up to 60%.
Out in space pointing at the stars, the CPU is 50% and the GPU is 75%.

That's the first time I checked those numbers and they were better than I was expecting. Based on earlier testing with the debug HUD, I'd have thought I was at 80FPS in the hangar and in space, and maybe 40FPS on the pad, but I'm not so sure now - may have been 40FPS in the hangar too. Anyway, still tweaking settings for a while.

Also. Just remembered.
The S unlike the cv1 .
In oculus settings , where you input IPD values.

There is a performance or quality option.
For a certain GPU's that is set by default to quality. I'm not certain but I suspect that would be any gpu that meet or exceed the recommended.

And what does that do?
Well it's a preset pixel density of about 1.2x.
That's the same setting as HMD-Q is in elite. And any setting added later becomes a compound multiplier.
And suddenly adding an ss of 1.2 in game causes it to render almost the same as if you had directly applied a value of 1.6, and that's with the S resolution.

For the cv1 that compares to an hmd-q value of 1.9...
The quality setting in rift settings is a hidden resolution tweak. Changes the native res of the screen.
Quality = 1648x1776
Performance = 1504x1616

Yeah, the S has a much improved image over the CV1, but I wonder if maybe I needed to wear my cheaters with the CV1. Oh well, c'est la vie.

I started with VR Medium settings, added FXAA and medium bloom, and set terrain work to 100% GPU.

Using Task Manager, sitting in the hangar, the CPU is 40% and the GPU is 50%.
Sitting on a station pad the CPU stays 40% and the GPU goes up to 60%.
Out in space pointing at the stars, the CPU is 50% and the GPU is 75%.

That's the first time I checked those numbers and they were better than I was expecting. Based on earlier testing with the debug HUD, I'd have thought I was at 80FPS in the hangar and in space, and maybe 40FPS on the pad, but I'm not so sure now - may have been 40FPS in the hangar too. Anyway, still tweaking settings for a while.

Thanks for that. That’s pretty good performance and presuming there is nothing else wrong with Avindairs setup, hyperthreading makes all the difference.

I decided to try getting 80FPS everywhere by changing HMDQ in the debug tool last night and it doesn’t seem to do anything with ED for some reason. I set it to 1 in game and got a similar issue I’ve been having in X plane. I got 80FPS docked then started getting less outside the station but my GPU wasn’t at 100% and ASW was turned off.

It’s similar to where in X plane I start getting around 30FPS instead of 40FPS but my GPU is only at around 60%. It will be like that for around 10 mins then bounce back up. This is without the mouse cursor on as that always wrecks FPS.

It’s all very weird. I think I’ll try messing with ED settings without using the debug tool next time and see what happens but I’m wondering if there is some sort of driver issue as I’d assumed before it was just an X plane problem.

EDIT:

To answer my own question in case anyone else has this problem in the future: There is a problem with the Oculus debug tool and Elite. Changes made in the debug tool only apply after a game restart, unlike in games like X plane where they happen live.

Last edited:
Can anyone speak to performance with Ryzen 5 1600 and Radeon Vega 56? I've also got 24GB RAM and am running 1803. I'm thinking about picking one of these up but am wondering if I need to up my CPU.

Can anyone speak to performance with Ryzen 5 1600 and Radeon Vega 56? I've also got 24GB RAM and am running 1803. I'm thinking about picking one of these up but am wondering if I need to up my CPU.

I don’t know about the Ryzen 5 1600 but someone on here upgraded to a 2600x from an old i5 with the original Rift and was really pleased with the performance. I can’t find the thread to link though.

I would have thought you could expect similar performance.

I don’t know about the Ryzen 5 1600 but someone on here upgraded to a 2600x from an old i5 with the original Rift and was really pleased with the performance. I can’t find the thread to link though.

I would have thought you could expect similar performance.
Thanks for the reply, it's already on the way! We shall see how it fares.

Just thought I would update everyone on my failing mic saga. After a month of trying various things Oculus decided to replace my Rift with a brand new one. 7 days later the old was returned and the new one set up. 2 days of playing, no mic problems so far.
Oculus support have been very good. Fingers crossed that problem does not re occur

Just upgraded from a ryzen 1700x to the 3700x and the improvement in performance was better then expected. (Im running a GTX 1080)

I also upgraded to faster ram so that probably helped as well.

In Elite VR it means i now usually stay above 80 fps even on surfaces and around stations, while before it was impossible to keep my frames that high even when settings was set really low.

In general my minimum FPS has improved in almost all scenarios i have tried so far. (have not tried that many games yet since i have been away, enjoying summer vacation )

-----

More directly Related to the RIFT S:
For those not in the know the latest beta from Oculus has fixed the static flashes! So now my only big gripe with the S is fixed. I'm so happy! :D

Last edited:
Just upgraded from a ryzen 1700x to the 3700x and the improvement in performance was better then expected. (Im running a GTX 1080)

I also upgraded to faster ram so that probably helped as well.

In Elite VR it means i now usually stay above 80 fps even on surfaces and around stations, while before it was impossible to keep my frames that high even when settings was set really low.

In general my minimum FPS has improved in almost all scenarios i have tried so far. (have not tried that many games yet since i have been away, enjoying summer vacation )

-----

More directly Related to the RIFT S:
For those not in the know the latest beta from Oculus has fixed the static flashes! So now my only big gripe with the S is fixed. I'm so happy! :D

I'm looking at upgrading my mobo, cpu and ram (+ case and ssd etc) later in the year. I also have a 1080 but may hold off upgrading that until the new year. Really good to know that improving the CPU and ram offers a boost in performance. :)

oh... and the grey flashes update.... thank you! (y)

Top Bottom