Elite / Frontier Elite Plus

Edit DOSbox Options, there's a line "cycles=<value>" - the <value> is probably "auto" by default.
You could try 10000 or 20000 as the <value> first (about 386 speed), and see how it works.

Funny thing is that the DOSbox Options file itself says the numerical value needs to be "fixed <number>", but putting just <number> there works fine.

Here's how the [cpu] section looks like in my install for original Master of Orion:
Code:
cpu]
#      core: CPU Core used in emulation. auto will switch to dynamic if available and appropriate.
#            Possible values: auto, dynamic, normal, simple.
#   cputype: CPU Type used in emulation. auto is the fastest choice.
#            Possible values: auto, 386, 386_slow, 486_slow, pentium_slow, 386_prefetch.
#    cycles: Amount of instructions DOSBox tries to emulate each millisecond.
#            Setting this value too high results in sound dropouts and lags.
#            Cycles can be set in 3 ways:
#              'auto'          tries to guess what a game needs.
#                              It usually works, but can fail for certain games.
#              'fixed #number' will set a fixed amount of cycles. This is what you usually need if 'auto' fails.
#                              (Example: fixed 4000).
#              'max'           will allocate as much cycles as your computer is able to handle.
#            
#            Possible values: auto, fixed, max.
#   cycleup: Amount of cycles to decrease/increase with keycombo.(CTRL-F11/CTRL-F12)
# cycledown: Setting it lower than 100 will be a percentage.

core=auto
cputype=auto
cycles=21000
cycleup=1000
cycledown=1000

There's always the option of adding a GUI front end to DOSBOX. I use D-Fend - very convenient, and easy to jiggle settings for games.

Archangelic blue code-monkeys and furry feline-like reverse-engineers of the void, if it is possible could anyone check the code of PC Elite Plus and compose a list for default requirements of missions, that what are exactly required for each one to be triggered? I presume it's fixed number of hyperspace jumps, accomplishment of previous missions, and possibly in addjunction to some minimum combat rating achieved. In Tribbles' case it seems to be only amount of credits (at least for the first time).

Tribbles is credits based. I can't remember exactly when missions start (it's been a while since I looked at the code), but once they start it is based on hyperspace jump count.

Particularly I'm interested what happens when hit counter reaches around 60000 hits, as at least for me that triggered sort of broken appearance, hinting strongly only partially implemented 'Constrictor Mission'. There are lines concerning such mission in the game code (elite.exe). More info about that: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...axy-and-Raxxla?p=471553&viewfull=1#post471553

Elite Plus determines the text for for combat rating using two lists. The first list contains the maximum number of hit points a rating applies to (0, 2, 4, 9, 20, 35, 90, 155, 1000, 60000) and the second list contains the text (Harmless, Mostly Harmless, Poor, Average, Above Average, Competent, Deadly, Dangerous, Elite). If you are counting, you will notice the first list has 10 entries, and the second list only 9. So the "Elite" rating only applies up to 60000 hit points. After 60000, the text becomes whatever random gibberish happens to be in memory at the location calculated by looking up random gibberish!

Additionally, Elite Plus quite stupidly only stores your hit-points as a 16-bit integer (all other Elite's use 32-bits). A 16-bit integer can only hold values up to 65535. If you increment the counter above this limit, it wraps-around to zero like to odometer in a car. This is why your rating gets reset to Harmless.

Then, if someone would ever going to make modding and/or reverse engineer whole game from fan basis/as an programming exercise, it would be very nice addition to have Hit counter on your Cobra's consoles!!!

A program which can check your hit-count from the CDR file would be fairly easy to write. Add a counter in-game much more difficult but theoretically possible.

Thank you very much Darrenc!

Something like this I suspected myself too. I can confirm that normal promotions start again soon after that Level 10, but for me there happened several odd promotions also after 60K mark:
ELITEPlus60KHitsProof_zps9def2372.jpg

1st 60K+ promotion - Level 10

NothoriaInfama-Promotion64014Hitpoints15thJune2014_zps068890c1.png

2nd 60K+ promotion

NothoriaInfama-Promotion35111Hitpoints16thJune2014_zpsb0da6701.png

3rd 60K+ promotion

After that I got normal promotions again. I cannot confirm did I possibly miss some of those 60K+ promotions due play style for skirmishing hundreds of hits per system, but nevertheless, only traces concerning 'Constrictor Mission' I've ever seen in the game have appeared only in those promotion messages, and occasionally inbetween them on the commander status display (when docked). There was nothing special around system ERRIUS G2, or at least I couldn't find anything (another luck based occurrence with ridiculously low changes, maybe?) even flying all systems accessible in the galaxy, systems around ERRIUS several times, around the sun... etc.

But the game 'triggers' something at least two times between 60000 hits (level 10) and 2nd round (Mostly Harmless) promotion (Level 1). What happens there I have no idea.

I really appreciate your input as it confirms my veteran commander's status as Elite Plus 'Double Elite' by playing EP (it takes several weeks if playing in 24/7 schedule), but also for dispelling some persistent myths around EP as well as freeing future retro-gamer EP commanders from chasing ghosts out there.

That makes you Archangel. [up]

ADD/EDIT/NOTE: I got my first "normal" 2nd round promotion at Competent for 74 hits after those odd promo messages. There are 5535 hit points differential (about 11-13 hours in real time and terms of optimal gameplay for maximal hits/hour) between 60000 (Level 10) and 65535. I now wonder how many theoretically possible weird 60K+ promotions I maybe missed and what they mean. Are they messed up representations for 1st round Levels 1-5 (Harmless - Above Average) or something else as there are enough room for 5 Elite promotions between 60000 and 65535 hit points? When one loses status at 60K+ mark, you should get normal promotions very soon after that (after 2 hits actually), that was not what I experienced. Hit counter and promotions normalized only after reaching that 65535/Zero point as expected. But why those promotions at 64014 and 65111 before that? I don't get it. :)

There is the comment I wrote that morning I got Elite promotion again at 1006 hits (= 66541 total hits): https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...y-and-Raxxla?p=1094580&viewfull=1#post1094580

I didn't go to work after grinding whole night. :p

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that Elite Plus was the only version to have the hated Archangel title.

No the CGA PC version also has Archangel as well you get it for completing the Thargoid station mission iirc.

I have got Elite on both versions of Elite on PC and most other versions (ED is the only one I haven't yet).

If ED had all the Elite stuff in it the game would be incredible and one of the reasons for Elite Multiplayer :)

Last edited:
No the CGA PC version also has Archangel as well you get it for completing the Thargoid station mission iirc.

I have got Elite on both versions of Elite on PC and most other versions (ED is the only one I haven't yet).

If ED had all the Elite stuff in it the game would be incredible and one of the reasons for Elite Multiplayer :)

Hmm... PC CGA version. Lol. Here it goes to the Extreme rim. Must maybe hurt my eyes for test sessions in that Version then. :D

Hate upon Archangels, maybe it's because such title is so easy to achieve in EP. What it really can then start to mean is other topic. One can play to elite in single sitting, but when it comes to long distance running it's different stuff. After missions it's about grinding in the essentially same, never ending systems without much challenge.

Unless one set those challenges by him/herself. I did that, and now when Archangels like Darrenc come to explain and confirm stuffs about the game I've played absolutely too many hours it feels extremely good. After over two decades.

In EP title Archangel is the reward from that Thargoid Invasion mission. You get also mystic device Anti-ECM Broadcasts that is nice to have and feels so cool to see on your inventory, but you don't find any practical use for it. It doesn't jam enemies ECMs as far as I can tell, but prevent effectively your energy banks from recharging.

During those old good times such minor issues with game functionality didn't cause similar frustrations then seems to be the case with many contemporary games. Weird.

Last edited:
Only remaining major "mystery" lacking proper confirmation/answer in PC Elite Plus is question about "Constrictor Mission". There are similar text lines for it in elite.exe -file, just like for every other missions implemented. But is it really implemented to the game in way that it can be properly triggered and also successfully accomplished?

Constrictor along with Cougar appears in 'Mask Device' - mission, but that's no mystery. Nearest of that mystery ship I ever get after 60K+ hits with this:

Eliteplus2_zps32ec28ae.jpg

Other minor things without confirmations/answers are:

- What is the function of Anti-ECM Broadcasts device?
- Is it possible to force Witch Space misjump in EP anyway?
- Have anybody ever managed to enter systems beyond 7 light years from all other systems via Witch Space mishap? (Such systems existent in G1, G3, G7 big cluster, G8)

Archangel Darrenc confirmed already the underlying random factors related to Galactic Hyperspace jump to the 9th Galaxy.

Does there exist a code for extra ship in PC Elite Plus .exe -file?

APPENDIX - copy paste from the Elite.exe code:

"
revolting á_é_ð_÷_`planet world place little planet dump ` `,`;`E`frequent occasional unpredictable dreadful deadly W`^`e`n`w`funny wierd unusual strange peculiar ‹`›`¦`²`¹`son of a bi*ch scoundrel blackguard rogue eson beetle headed flap ear'd knave ì`aDaea‡aI hear a —looking ship appeared at Errius Yeah, I hear a —ship left Errius a while back Get your iron as* over to Errius Some ˜new ship was seen at Errius Try Errius œa¬a¹aÄaÕaparking meters dust clouds ice bergs rock formations volcanoes êañaøa bbplant tulip banana corn weed bbbb*b  inhabitant 7b>bEbLbSbshrew beast bison snake wolf cblbqbybbleopard cat monkey goat fish b“b˜b¡b¤bŽ  its ž ¡¢ Ž ²b¸bÀbÇbÐbmeat cutlet steak burgers soup àbåbêbòbúbice mud zero-G vacuum ultra ccc%c+chockey cricket karate polo tennis =cCcIcOcTcwasp moth grub ant `cfcuczccpoet arts graduate yak snail slug ‘c˜cžc¤c¬cdense lush rain bamboo deciduous ÁcÈcÏcßcëcgreen black yellow stripey pinky grey white ´²0 ° ian ² °2 e — É û .`’Ä÷)[Àò$Vˆ»íQƒµçL~°âFxªÜ@r¤Ö9kÏ 2 d – Ç ù +
"

Bolded - Lines concerning "mystery ship"
Bolded and Underlined - Actually seen in the game during buggy period between 60K+ Hits promotion and Post-65535 hits 2nd round normal Competent promotion.
Underlined only - Probably not implemented for commercial reasons :p

Try Errius!? God damn I tried. That's why this thread exists now. XD

Last edited:
Only remaining major "mystery" lacking proper confirmation/answer in PC Elite Plus is question about "Constrictor Mission". There are similar text lines for it in elite.exe -file, just like for every other missions implemented. But is it really implemented to the game in way that it can be properly triggered and also successfully accomplished?

Constrictor along with Cougar appears in 'Mask Device' - mission, but that's no mystery. Nearest of that mystery ship I ever get after 60K+ hits with this:

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad122/notinf/Eliteplus2_zps32ec28ae.jpg

Other minor things without confirmations/answers are:

- What is the function of Anti-ECM Broadcasts device?
- Is it possible to force Witch Space misjump in EP anyway?
- Have anybody ever managed to enter systems beyond 7 light years from all other systems via Witch Space mishap? (Such systems existent in G1, G3, G7 big cluster, G8)

Archangel Darrenc confirmed already the underlying random factors related to Galactic Hyperspace jump to the 9th Galaxy.

Does there exist a code for extra ship in PC Elite Plus .exe -file?

APPENDIX - copy paste from the Elite.exe code:

"
revolting á_é_ð_÷_`planet world place little planet dump ` `,`;`E`frequent occasional unpredictable dreadful deadly W`^`e`n`w`funny wierd unusual strange peculiar ‹`›`¦`²`¹`son of a bi*ch scoundrel blackguard rogue eson beetle headed flap ear'd knave ì`aDaea‡aI hear a —looking ship appeared at Errius Yeah, I hear a —ship left Errius a while back Get your iron as* over to Errius Some ˜new ship was seen at Errius Try Errius œa¬a¹aÄaÕaparking meters dust clouds ice bergs rock formations volcanoes êañaøa bbplant tulip banana corn weed bbbb*b  inhabitant 7b>bEbLbSbshrew beast bison snake wolf cblbqbybbleopard cat monkey goat fish b“b˜b¡b¤bŽ  its ž ¡¢ Ž ²b¸bÀbÇbÐbmeat cutlet steak burgers soup àbåbêbòbúbice mud zero-G vacuum ultra ccc%c+chockey cricket karate polo tennis =cCcIcOcTcwasp moth grub ant `cfcuczccpoet arts graduate yak snail slug ‘c˜cžc¤c¬cdense lush rain bamboo deciduous ÁcÈcÏcßcëcgreen black yellow stripey pinky grey white ´²0 ° ian ² °2 e — É û .`’Ä÷)[Àò$Vˆ»íQƒµçL~°âFxªÜ@r¤Ö9kÏ 2 d – Ç ù +
"

Bolded - Lines concerning "mystery ship"
Bolded and Underlined - Actually seen in the game during buggy period between 60K+ Hits promotion and Post-65535 hits 2nd round normal Competent promotion.
Underlined only - Probably not implemented for commercial reasons :p

Try Errius!? God damn I tried. That's why this thread exists now. XD

In Elite that was the Cloak military ship the Cougar.

In Elite that was the Cloak military ship the Cougar.

*nods*

In Elite Plus (PC) Cougar (and Constrictor) appear only - as far it's known - in the mission:

MASK DEVICE

Jump to a system. Destroy 3 masked Asp Mk II and scoop cargo capsule to get the Device. Until that, turkey shoot maximum 3 Cougars and/or Constrictors attacking you as long as any of those Asps are still flying in one piece. Boring.

Ships look like this. Screenshots there: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...s-ship/page2?p=1161947&viewfull=1#post1161947

All proofs concerning cloaked ships in EP (...and Cougars and Constrictors) otherwise enthusiastically welcomed, but they needs to be real proofs in this thread, not hear says.

Thank you, Commander EdzUp. o7

EDIT/ADD, Dec 16, 2016: Tested Darrenc's patched Elite.exe and Jameson.cdr files (rookie commander with normal starting set, but placed in the 8th galaxy with Galactic Hyperdrive Unit. Attachment for files in this thread in the comment #16.) Files work well and jump to the 9th galaxy is ensured, and everything seems to be normal otherwise. Further Galactic Hyperspace jump from the 9th galaxy brings back to the 1st one.

Played to Deadly (for 265 hits). Few thargoids encountered, and ~160 hits grinder at anarchy. Few interesting system names spotted in the 9th. There are systems ACE and ARENA on the chart, but most recommended destination for space tourists is probably RAMA:

Rama_zpsaelgql86.png

Yum. :D

Last edited:
As per a suggestion upthead from Nothoria, I have patched the original ELITE.EXE to add a hit-point counter to the game. The hit-point updates take the place of the "BOUNTY: xxCr" messages, in the form of "HITPOINTS: xxx". You will still get the "NO BOUNTY" message, but this usually occurs because you destroyed a piece of wreckage (splinter) before the hit-point message could be displayed. I have also increased the amount of time the message is displayed for, as I always felt the bounty messages disappeared too quickly.

I'm having trouble uploading files through the file manager on this forum, so you will have to download this patch through TinyUpload.

Also, to Nothoria's question about the Anti-ECM device. Does it do anything? YES!

It does just what it says on the tin - it prevents other ships from destroying your missiles with ECM pulses. Since the only other ships in E+ with ECM are stations and thargoids, this limits its usefulness. If you want to try it for yourself, fire a missile at a ship (or station) whilst within the station aegis (big "S" on the console). Without Anti-ECM, the station will kill your missile with it's ECM.

In addition, I have managed to decipher the format of the graphics in ELITE.GRF. If anybody is interested in being able to edit the original game graphics, let me know and I will work on making a utility to do this.

As per a suggestion upthead from Nothoria, I have patched the original ELITE.EXE to add a hit-point counter to the game. The hit-point updates take the place of the "BOUNTY: xxCr" messages, in the form of "HITPOINTS: xxx". You will still get the "NO BOUNTY" message, but this usually occurs because you destroyed a piece of wreckage (splinter) before the hit-point message could be displayed. I have also increased the amount of time the message is displayed for, as I always felt the bounty messages disappeared too quickly.

I'm having trouble uploading files through the file manager on this forum, so you will have to download this patch through TinyUpload.

Also, to Nothoria's question about the Anti-ECM device. Does it do anything? YES!

It does just what it says on the tin - it prevents other ships from destroying your missiles with ECM pulses. Since the only other ships in E+ with ECM are stations and thargoids, this limits its usefulness. If you want to try it for yourself, fire a missile at a ship (or station) whilst within the station aegis (big "S" on the console). Without Anti-ECM, the station will kill your missile with it's ECM.

In addition, I have managed to decipher the format of the graphics in ELITE.GRF. If anybody is interested in being able to edit the original game graphics, let me know and I will work on making a utility to do this.

Great!

Nice to know about function of Anti-ECM device, however it's practically useless. Commander gets it as a reward from the mission (Thargoid Invasion) that is pretty much only place it would have some use at all. A lone Thargoids are not such kind threat you should waste missiles (there doesn't exist such situations in the game), and in the witch space where it could have some use, toggling it on doesn't improve a Commander's survival expectancy, as fast reloading energy banks are lot more valuable there then ability shoot unintercepted missiles. Witch space of EP is most hardest place to be in the game.

Anyway. Another question answered. Thanks! o7

Graphic utility?!! Woohoo! New, futuristic HUDs for EP Cobra!?? Photoshopping missing head to EP Elite Badge??!! :eek:

Upload 3, Pay for 0! Today! Brand new Darrenc Retrohack Piraticals UnCorporated©® Notho-Kilohitter™ Mk. I Hit Counter - modules now available across all nine galaxies from the all tech level 25+ system garages via GalCop networks! [up]

Right on Commanders!

Last edited:
This thread is probably the best resource on Elite Plus now, well done for all the hard work you've put into it! And to everyone else who's contributed too.

This thread is probably the best resource on Elite Plus now, well done for all the hard work you've put into it! And to everyone else who's contributed too.

Thank you. "Work" isn't maybe best word to describe the project, but the idea of the thread is just that - gather, compile, test, document everything relevant about Elite Plus (PC). It's true that there are myriads sources about EP (with varying level of quality) around internet, but often they lack information, are full of unconfirmed rumours, under a risk to go defunct, made by folks whom first priority is/was not this version of the game etc. Practically nowhere exist comprehensive collection of tested facts related to EP.

For me it's long term hobby, and 'Project of Love' (how ridiculous that may sound).

Some worthy pages about EP:
http://ffeartpage.com/elitep.htm
http://ffeartpage.com/utility.htm Downloadable Elite Plus .cdr mission files (at middle of the page)
http://rk.nvg.ntnu.no/bbc/doc/games/EliteFAQ.htm (info among other versions of elite)

Often you encounter only old rumors without any proofs/sources. This thread tries to avoid such gossiping and actually provide reliable first hand experiences with adequate confirmations, to get rid of all of those rumors. Sadly active pool of EP-Commanders are very sparse in these weird days when even thargoids do not try to kill you as soon as they see you. Maybe they have had their fear glands surgically reattached to their insectoidal heads... [sour]

Anyway. I'm Currently cartographing G3 using screenshots and copy-pastes in MS-Paint, so some motivation still exist. [yesnod]

...and Archangel Darrenc concentrates to the deeper innings of EP showing remarkable level of enthusiasm when doing so, something that you simply can't expect anymore from casual Above Averages and Competents. [cool]

Thin lines of rusty Ironass Cobra Mk. IIIs of Elite Commanders of the Elite Federation hold their last stands proudly against thargoid invasion, also here in these forgotten space sectors.

Last edited:
Elite Plus - Galactic Chart 3

Elite%20Plus%20-%20Galactic%20Chart%203_zps3l37erz6.png

Galactic Chart 3 - Version 1

• ~100 x ~50 light years (2204px x 1248px)
• Astrogation and starmapping by Cmdr. N.Infama
• December 16th 2016 - January 10th 2017 / ~25 effective work hours
• Using short range charts, screenshots, and CTRL-C/CTRL-V to Windows Paint

• Income: ~125000 Cr
• Hits: Several thousands

• Green +: Geodetic measurement locations
• Black lines between systems: over 7 light years hyper jump range
• Blue system names: Inaccessible system beyond 7 light years from all other accessible systems

...8 galaxies to go! :D

Add: Oolite planet list of G3: http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Oolite_planet_list/Galaxy_3

Last edited:
Elite Plus - Galactic Chart 4

Elite%20Plus%20-%20Galactic%20Chart%204_zps21xlxvfw.png

Galactic Chart 4 - Version 1

• Astrogation and starmappery by N. Infama, January 11th - 15th 2017
• About 25h work

• Income: ~120000 Cr (+ ~5000 Cr for Galactic Hyperdrive Jump from the G3)
• Hit points: Few thousands
• Other noteworthy: 5 witch space misjumps, but every time beyond hyperspace range (of remaining fuel) from any system to escape

• Orange system names: distance between systems 0.4 ly, but out of reach as the short range chart cannot make difference between systems
(VEORER and CEBIMA are both accessible, but not from each other. Jump to CEBIMA was possible only from SOED at 6.8 ly distance (being only one of two within hyperspace range of 7.0ly).
Other these kind systems may exist elsewhere too.

...7 Galaxies to go! [cool]

Add: Oolite planet list of G4: http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Oolite_planet_list/Galaxy_4

Last edited:
Back in the cockpit of Cobra Mk III Ironass "Icaros". I planned to start cartography of Galaxy 5, but instead I just found myself flying somewhat randomly in the already charted galaxy, and testing Camtasia. With some luck in random recordings could maybe provide better stuff for adequate video about EP Witch Space. Someday. Maybe.

[video=youtube;OJjH3hGUtHI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJjH3hGUtHI&feature=youtu.be[/video]

"Archangel Charon's (a.k.a. Nothoria/Infama) random flying around Galaxy 4. Trying pick as many anarchies to the route as possible. This video is byproduct of an attempt to get misjump(s) to witch space for production of better video about witch space misjumps in EP.

Also testing Camtasia - studio software, thus free advertising for it.

Profit: 16171.9 Credits. ~600-700 Hit points.

This video is primarily directed to the hard core EP-fans. :p

More information about PC Elite Plus at https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthr..."

Other purpose is to produce and save material where it is easy to count proportions of different types of ships, at least first concerning anarchies. What are average probabilities for each ships to appear in the anarchic systems? Archangel Darrenc and other retro-cybernauts would probably find that data by looking in to the Code of EP, but for me only way to determine such kind stuff is to fly, and to count. Manually. It's easier to do from Let's play videos... [big grin]

ADD: April 15th 2017: Easter flight part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVtl5XutY04 'Let's play Elite Plus (PC) Archangel Charon and 500+ hits at Querbe' (1:01)

There are lot of anarchies at SE-corner of G4. Nice place for prolonged grinder...

ADD2: When trying make really "epic" space battle video about amok run in an anarchic system, I got first time ever killed when already accumulated over 1000 Hits (~1020 to be exact = 'Elite') as I tried play to the new system record (most kills between hyperspace jump to a system and docking. Record: ~1200+). Play was exceptionally fast and smooth, but not even Energy Bomb explosion saved me this time. It's damn addictive, old game. Commander can forget altogether it's space fighting going on, and fall to deep meditative state of mind.

Then, suddenly, You drop brutally back to the reality with "Game Over". About 2 hours wasted. Time to do something else... :D

Thargoid Invasion.jpg
Thargoid Invasion - This scene doesn't appear in the game. How nice it would it be...

Last edited:
Is there a different version of Elite for the PC? I got to elite on a PC version, but I'm sure it is not this one.

Edit: although I did get the Archangel rank at some point, so it probably is this one!

There were two versions of Elite for the PC, one was the four colour CGA version that ran on IBM XT and up and then there was the much later VGA version that this thread is about.

There were two versions of Elite for the PC, one was the four colour CGA version that ran on IBM XT and up and then there was the much later VGA version that this thread is about.

Indeed. This version:

[video=youtube;VJvdZWhNLiM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJvdZWhNLiM[/video]

PC Elite Plus is "pseudo-sequel" of that version.

Top Bottom