Community Event / Creation Elite Racers present the Okinura Station Sprint Challenge

Elite Racers present the Okinura Station Sprint Challenge

J5HmBim.jpg

How to SUBMIT AN ENTRY
  • Start docked.
  • Complete 2 laps.
  • Finish docked.
Post your entry somewhere I'll see it.
Such as
  • This thread
  • Discord
I try to update at least every weekend (when possible)

LEADERBOARD

Click this link to visit the centralised leaderboard.
Last updated 2020-02-18

Or enjoy this lazy screenshot I made (last updated 2020-02-09),
Screenshot 2021-01-28 230520.png

What is this?

Okinura Station Sprint is an Elite Racers themed time trial standing challenge.

We wanted an excuse to race between main Elite Racer events, so we've stolen borrowed some ideas from our friends in the Buckyball Racing Club.

Unlike the Elite Racers usual live events,
The Okinura Station Sprint takes place on your own time, racing around Fisher Terminal in the Okinura System (roughly 32Ly from Sol) using the in-game clock to record your time.

The clock starts on launch from Fisher Terminal and ends after completing 2 Laps of the Elite Racers station track layout.

Push the limits to see just how fast it can be done? or,
Just give it a go and see what you get?
All are welcome!

COURSE LAYOUT - Elite Racers station racing course layout
image.png

Class and Courses

Classes
Entries will be grouped by the following,
  • All small ships (All modules and mods allowed)
  • All medium ships (All modules and mods allowed)
  • All large ships (All modules and mods allowed)
  • Elite Racers Elite Eagle build (Engineer mods NOT allowed)
  • Flight Assist Off (All ships, modules and mods allowed)
  • Stock* Sidewinder (Stock except for weapons removed)
  • Ship Launched Fighters (SLF)
Course for all ships (except SLF)
  • Start docked at Fisher Terminal in Okinura.
  • Complete 2 laps of Fisher Terminal using the Elite Racers station course.
  • Finish docked at Fisher Terminal in Okinura.
  • Show your modules (only for Elite Eagle & Stock Sidewinder)
All Classes (ex SLF) Demonstration Video

Course for SLF (Ship Launched Fighters)
Since you can't launch SLFs in no fire zones (within 10km of the station),
  • Take main ship at least 10km out from Fisher Terminal
  • Start in cockpit of main ship, showing 10km out from Fisher Terminal with clock showing
  • Launch fighter and tell your main ship to hold position after launching! (By default it'll follow you around like a bad smell)
  • Head toward and enter the station mail slot
  • Do a mail slot 180 and then complete 2 laps as normal
  • At end of 2 laps, do another mail slot 180 and race to your main ship
  • Finish in cockpit of main ship, showing 10km out from Fisher Terminal with clock showing
Ship Launched Fighters Demonstration Video

HOW TO ENTER

Please include:
  • CMDR name.
  • Ship type.
  • Race class
  • Link to video or screenshots
Submitting an entry
Evidence can be posted to this thread, sent via private message, posted in the events channel in the Elite Racers discord.

Proof of entry.
It’s recommended that you use video capture to record your run.
I use OBS Studio.
If the default settings don't work, please don’t hesitate to ask for help.

Otherwise, most video cards have in built software that will enable video capture without excessive performance impact.
(Shadowplay for Nvidia, Plays.tv for AMD, and Game DVR for Xbox).

Screenshots are another option for those with low bandwidth or older graphics cards.

You will need to upload screenshots or a video somewhere safe and link it. I recommend imgur or youtube.

What do I need to show?

For all classes (except SLF),

• Modules (required for Elite Racer Elite Eagle and Stock* Sidewinder)
  • In Fisher Terminal on landing pad with station clock showing
  • Ring loop
  • Rear end turn
  • Ring loop again
  • Mail slot 180
  • Ring loop
  • Rear end turn
  • Ring loop again
  • In Fisher Terminal on landing pad with station clock showing
Video example
Imgur example

For Ship Launched Fighters,
  • In main ship, with distance to Fisher Terminal at 10km or more + with clock showing
  • Mail slot 180
  • Ring loop
  • Rear end turn
  • Ring loop again
  • Mail slot 180
  • Ring loop
  • Rear end turn
  • Ring loop again
  • Mail slot 180
  • In main ship, with distance to Fisher Terminal at 10km or more + with clock showing
SLF Video example
SLF Imgur example

FAQ
  • Your start time is counted from when you hit 'Launch'. If the servers are busy or your internet connection is as terrible as Australia's, there may be a delay before the docking pad releases you.
  • Yes RNG can eat up some of your time. Such as when you hit 'Launch' but it takes time before the pad releases you, Docking pad distances from the mail slot, traffic in the mail slot. It's the same for everyone. Thankfully the 'track' is short, so you can have many attempts :)
  • Can I have someone record me do the sprint? Yes, I'll need matching screenshots of your point of view start time and finish time at the least and then the spectators video can be used to check the course was done correctly. This also allows a wing to race together with 1 'watcher' recording, should you wish to simulate an Elite Racer event.
  • Can I use VR? Sure. If video recording/streaming, just ensure I can see the clock at the start and finish. If screenshotting, I'll need the see the clock at each 'checkpoint'.
  • What's with the FA off option when submitting. If you really want to test yourself, complete the entire sprint with FA off the entire time (video will be required for proof). Any ship (except SLF) with any mods/upgrades can enter this category. I've left it out from the main write up as I don't expect it to be very popular :p [Example - Isinona Special Class FA off]
When does it end?
It doesn't.
I'll keep taking entries for as long as the game is (or I am) around.

Learn more about Elite Racers

Last edited:
Thanks for running this Terrorsidic. :D

I'm not likely to ever be able to commit to the timeslots for the normal Elite Racers events, but I shall definitely have a few runs in this.
Nice that I can have a run in The Nomad as well.

Last edited:
Awesome!

Subscribed and added to my TODO list (which is getting rather long so it might be a few weeks before I get to actually trying this).

o7

Awesome!

Subscribed and added to my TODO list (which is getting rather long so it might be a few weeks before I get to actually trying this).

o7

Same situation for me. Will definitely do this, but as I have a lot on my plate it may take a little time for me to get to it. Looking forward to it, though.

Looks like a lot of fun. Since there's no deadline, I think I'll wait until I get back to the Bubble before participating. I definitely want to take Haulier than Thou through the course, and of course an Elite Racers Eagle (finally an excuse to use that hull!).

Ooh, definitely going to do this. I've always wanted to do this style of race but having to coordinate times was a real barrier to entry.

I finally have a reason to outfit a racing Viper, hooray!

All the fun of the Elite Racers courses, minus the time zone barrier. Why did I miss this?

Because I'm unable to track forums, it seems. Thank you Terrorsidic, this is a wonderful idea! Prepping my gear for the race!
Just a question (if it's already explained in the OP and I missed it, sorry my bad): can we have multiple entries on any race class? In this case, all runs on the leaderboard or only the best one?

LOL ... lots of familiar faces in here. A quarter of a million(?) active ED players and it's always you lot that I keep running into!

:p

Last edited:

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Nope I don't recognise any of you loons! :D

As the others have said, timing constraints are often the problem, but like Alec I have subbed to this thread and intent to crash a few times :p

Figured it was high time we got this ball rolling.

Cmdr: Alec Turner
Ship type: Imperial Courier
Ship name: The Sans Serif
Time: 3:28

Evidence: http://imgur.com/a/RbeFD
(video coming later)

It's not brilliant but it's definitely a start. As my first proper session at trying this I have to say that just completing a successful circuit without making any serious errors is harder than I imagined. I was probably trying too hard but I lost 3 ships (one to an overambitious boost and two to an annoying habit I developed under pressure of engaging silent running instead of requesting docking permission) and was only really happy with two of my dozen or so runs. Incredibly, both of those two runs had EXACTLY the same finish time! As you'll see from the video I need to work on tightening up those ring loops a fair bit.

Great fun tho' - definitely gonna try this in a few more ships.

Last edited:
Figured it was high time we got this ball rolling.

Cmdr: Alec Turner
Ship type: Imperial Courier
Ship name: The Sans Serif
Time: 3:28

Evidence: http://imgur.com/a/RbeFD
(video coming later)

It's not brilliant but it's definitely a start. As my first proper session at trying this I have to say that just completing a successful circuit without making any serious errors is harder than I imagined. I was probably trying too hard but I lost 3 ships (one to an overambitious boost and two to an annoying I habit I developed under pressure of engaging silent running instead of requesting docking permission) and was only really happy with two of my dozen or so runs. Incredibly, both of those two runs had EXACTLY the same finish time! As you'll see from the video I need to work on tightening up those ring loops a fair bit.

Great fun tho' - definitely gonna try this in a few more ships.

OK, video is up ...

[video=youtube_share;HPqBq8l4-VU]https://youtu.be/HPqBq8l4-VU[/video]
Also just spotted that there's an official race submission form so I've submitted my run properly now.

Pixies remix now available!

[video=youtube_share;D_NTtOVGwWM]https://youtu.be/D_NTtOVGwWM[/video]

Last edited:
It's not brilliant but it's definitely a start.

Are you sure? It looked quite shiny to me [up] (also great video capture, that smoothness almost cured me of my crippling shortsightedness :p)

The mid-lap 180° flip in the mailslot was a professional work. [yesnod]

I was probably trying too hard but I lost 3 ships (one to an overambitious boost and two to an annoying I habit I developed under pressure of engaging silent running instead of requesting docking permission)

Don't tell me about unfortunate engaging of silent running, I previously had it shift-bound on the same button for FA off, where I thought it wouldn't ever give me a problem during delicate moments like landings and departures...some days ago I was in my Python leaving Qwent, when I got interdicted by a cmdr: being the Doorstopper Almighty the sharp-toothed ship of the lot, I told myself "I'm a rather crappy fighter and will probably see a hefty rebuy, but let's give him a hard time at that!". I submit, promptly deploy weapons and start my usual boost-FA off-180° flip manoeuvre to face the enemy...that's when after dozens of hours of combat gameplay against npc's, I finally realized that having silent running shifted on the same button of FA off during a frantic engagement was not the brightest of ideas. :D

Stopped dead in my tracks with shields down and the other cmdr barraging at my hull, the only thing remaining to do for me before a sorry demise was to ask him sorry for the derp move and not giving him a nice fight back. He probably felt empathy for my misery, since he retracted his weapons, we had a laugh at misfortunes and bad choices and we both left on good terms. Running suits me more than fighting, no doubt about that.

Are you sure? It looked quite shiny to me [up]

Pffft, these Elite Racer boys have been doing this for years, I have no doubt that this is a lamentable effort barely worthy of the bucky! bobbleheads I have the audacity to display on my dashboard! I'm not done yet tho. :p

Last edited:
Do you think so? We'll see as soon as I hit the track in the Spirit Of Shenanigan* then.

*Now with 20% more shenanigans! :D

Top Bottom