For fans of Elite Dangerous and gaming, the Elite Community Meet 2018 is heading to Reading on the 14th April.
Run by the community (not for profit) and raising funds for SpecialEffect and Hearing Dogs, this is its 3rd year with the current team. Last year 138 gamers descended on Bristol for a day of gaming, VR, socialising and fun, the year before 90 came to Glasgow. 42 places already gone at this year's one!
We had HTC Vive and Oculus Rift to try, space to bring a PC and get down to some games, board games, a charity raffle and a live stage performance from Hutton Orbital Radio and the Pixel Bandits. There was an Artemis bridge simulator for crews to try their hand at and even a few of the cast of Echoes from the Hold and the voice packs. OK, it was Cecil. HCS Voice Packs are sending one of their team to join in for the day.
This year we are adding in an ED:RPG session from Spidermind games and much more. This is a day dedicated to DOING gaming and meeting fellow commanders.
Details available at http://elitemeet.info
Breaking Bonus News: Sunday 15th we are holding a Hutton Pizzameet for lunch at the Pizza Express in Reading where the manager and head chef will be attempting to teach 50+people how to properly toss pizzas. When you book, put the word PIZZA! in the notes box and we'll add you to the list. That's a "pay on the day" thing, but we have a special discount from the manager.
Triple breaking news: We also have a little social gathering in Portland, Oregon on the 17th March if any American commanders want to come and meet fellow pilots.
Content so far:
- Oculus Rift, HTC Vive to have a go on (with controllers for that walking around like someone's about to bump into you look)
- Retro Computers (Amiga A1200 & Spectrum Next & Sega Megadrive so far - working on BBC Micro)
- Artemis Bridge Simulator
- Full motion VR rig - at the moment to SEE the project by Blastard, but MAYBE to have a go - no promises on that
- Hutton Orbital Live & Pixel Bandits
- CMDR Wotherspoon's Elite Universe Challenge - similar to the quiz we had at Frontier Expo, which Hammers of Slough won by using a ringer
- ED:RPG with one of the guys from Spidermind Games
- Board Games:
- Cards against Humanity
- Choking Hazard
- Exploding Kittens
- Elite Miniatures (tbc)
- Ticket to Ride
- Space Base Commander
- Elite Encounters (tbc)
- Escape from Colditz
- Splendour's Elite Docking Darts
- Elite (of course) and Planet Coaster, 4 player Gang Beasts ridiculous PC game (RED BEAR WINS!!!!), Warlock of Firetop Mountain and many more PC games, Satellite Reign (remake of Syndicate War) and many others
- Tech demo from SpecialEffect
- It's Saturday 14th April
- It's at the Hilton St Anne in Wokingham UK
- There's a mini Sunday event nearby at lunchtime
- It starts at 10am and ends at midnight
- There's an optional lunch and dinner you can bag with your ticket - or buy direct with the hotel
- We have a charity raffle, a LIVE stage version of Hutton Orbital News, a quiz, a Pixel bandits Podcast
- Loads of board games including Elite Dangerous Miniatures and many others
- ED:RPG will be there as will someone from HCS Voice Packs
- We have space for up to 20 PC's if people want to bring gaming rooms - we're paying for a wired internet connection
- There's an Artemis bridge simulator for teams to try out
- If you went to FX 2017, it's a giant version of the Hutton Orbital Radio stand at the event, but with LOADS more content
- SpecialEffect will be there in person
- We have Oculus Rift and HTC Vive areas set up if you want a go
- Not for profit - everyone's paying, including the crew and any surplus goes to our two charities - last year we donated £2000
Portland Oregon Pizzameet details:
- Meet up for food and drinks from 7pm 17th March at
2295 NW Allie Avenue
Hillsboro, OR 97124
- Talk games, meet fellow commanders
- If anyone wants details, PM me and I'll put you in touch with the guys organising it.