Fiction Elite Universe Chronology?

I would like to start reading some of the fiction involving the Elite universe so I can be more familiar with the universe I'll be "living in" before the game comes out. I do hate reading stories with references to previous events in older stories that I have no knowledge of. OPCD kicking in! :rolleyes:

So I’ve been looking for a Chronology of the Elite universe and have searched this form, the Oolite Bulletin Board and the Elite Wiki (wiki.alioth.net). The closest I found is this timeline but it doesn’t show what time periods the various stories/books cover. For an example of what I'm looking for see this Tales of Known Space chronology.

Does anyone know where I can find what I'm looking for?

Much thanks in advance. :cool:

Snakebite

Banned
I would like to start reading some of the fiction involving the Elite universe so I can be more familiar with the universe I'll be "living in" before the game comes out. I do hate reading stories with references to previous events in older stories that I have no knowledge of. OPCD kicking in! :rolleyes:

So I’ve been looking for a Chronology of the Elite universe and have searched w where I can find what I'm looking for?

My old GalNET website had a really detailed chronology and a pretty extensive 'encyclopedia Galactica' of elite, sadly the site is no more but i'll dig around some old hard drives see what i can find.

So I’ve been looking for a Chronology of the Elite universe and have searched this form, the Oolite Bulletin Board and the Elite Wiki (wiki.alioth.net).

Be warned that the alioth.net wiki is *not* for Elite, it's for Oolite, which has a very different chronology from the official series.

Yaffle

Volunteer Moderator
Does anyone yet know what comes 'in the box' with the game?

Such as some form of timeline? IIRC there was one in Frontier.

there was one in the gazetteer, i suppose it's possible we'd have an updated one, but it hasnt been said anywhere as far as i can recall.
so this is merely speculations.

As yet we don't know. There has been discussion about releasing history and timeline information, but no decisions have been made.

Some historical information is available in Lave Revolution, including a timeline of events on the planet leading up to 3300, and there will also be some in the RPG, which I didn't include as I currently don't know how much will appear in it or what period Dave is setting his work (I believe it is set in several periods).

Yaffle

Volunteer Moderator
As yet we don't know. There has been discussion about releasing history and timeline information, but no decisions have been made.

Some historical information is available in Lave Revolution, including a timeline of events on the planet leading up to 3300, and there will also be some in the RPG, which I didn't include as I currently don't know how much will appear in it or what period Dave is setting his work (I believe it is set in several periods).

Thanks Allen

Lave Revolution is next on my list, I am still on the anthology at the moment. Which, to add, I am very much enjoying.

My old GalNET website had a really detailed chronology and a pretty extensive 'encyclopedia Galactica' of elite, sadly the site is no more but i'll dig around some old hard drives see what i can find.

That was your site? wow man it was awesome!

Be warned that the alioth.net wiki is *not* for Elite, it's for Oolite, which has a very different chronology from the official series.

It's partially correct based on the gazzetteer a lot of fan fiction was added to give readers an idea of when in time the stories took place, the basic knowledge was the same.

Any fine-tuning of the in-game settings (chronologically speaking) of the books? Several seem to be out, but looking on Amazon & reviews I haven't seen anything else in the way of time each is set in. If the date doesn't really matter that's fine too, it would just be good to know so I can start cracking through them all.

The RPG isn't "set" in any one time period. It's a "sourcebook" of sorts that tries to provide enough information on the history of the Elite universe so that players could potentially set their games in any time period. The short fiction within the book is set in various "eras". The main text of the book itself is written from the point of view of an observer in the Elite Dangerous era (actually a little later, allowing the ED parts to be written in the same tense as the rest of the book).

Inaccurate. The Alioth Wiki has sections for ALL the Elite games including, but not limited to, Oolite. Different game articles are available from the site's main page. It is accurate to say that the Oolite sections are the most populous, given that the majority of the regular editors are Oolite players.

Inaccurate. The Alioth Wiki has sections for ALL the Elite games including, but not limited to, Oolite. Different game articles are available from the site's main page. It is accurate to say that the Oolite sections are the most populous, given that the majority of the regular editors are Oolite players.

Well, given the structure of the wiki it ends up all just looking like Oolite content. The Ships sections is all full of Oolite info, the Factions all use the Oolite chronology. The whole site is really not useful for anyone trying to follow the official chronology.

Back on the RPG, will you be running sessions at the EliteMEet in Birmingham at the end of the month? :)

Snakebite

Banned

So I’ve been looking for a Chronology of the Elite universe and have searched this form, the Oolite Bulletin Board and the Elite Wiki (wiki.alioth.net). The closest I found is this timeline but it doesn’t show what time periods the various stories/books cover. For an example of what I'm looking for see this Tales of Known Space chronology.

Does anyone know where I can find what I'm looking for?

A bunch of us at GalNET put together the encyclopedia galactica which has a timeline originally researched by cmdr musoffa.

Its a bit outdated now because the GalNET website has not been updated since long before Elite Dangerous was announced but I think most of it still applies.

http://elitegaming.org.uk/galnet/ and select the encyclopedia link.

Top Bottom