EliteChroma logo

EliteChroma is a tool to make Razer Chroma devices and Chroma-connected devices react to Elite : Dangerous in-game events.

If a picture is worth a thousand words, then perhaps a video will be better still:

Features
  • Runs in the background, accessible through a system tray notification icon.
  • Retrieves device key bindings from the game configuration (currently limited to keyboard devices)
  • Binding key colors are fully customizable
  • Retrieves the current HUD color from the game configuration (currently used only as device background color)
  • Watches for changes in the game journal files and highlights the appropriate keys
  • Performs color animation on certain events:
    • Supercruise/hyperspace jumps
    • Landing gear deployed
    • Cargo scoop deployed
    • Hyperspace jump destination hazard level indicator
    • Star glare on hyperspace jump exit
    • Ship/SRV in danger, under attack or overheating
    • Fuel scooping
Application requirements
How to use

Download and run the MSI installer from the Releases page.

Once installed, just run EliteChroma from the start menu. You may then control the program from the icon in the system tray.

Contributing

Contributions are welcome! Please read on how to contribute.

If you have any cool key binding color combinations, share them! If it becomes a thing, I may setup a gallery of color bindings for all the world to see.

Changelog (version 1.18.2)
  • Fixed
    • Fix crash when a music track unknown to EliteChroma plays
You can check the full changelog on the Releases page.

Last edited:
So cool! I would love to use this tool, but was unable to find the proper game options folder. I tried C:\Users\radenska\AppData\Local\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options, but this didn't seem to work. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

edit: I restarted my computer and it works great!

Last edited:
Have to say, this looks amazing,
Only just got a chroma device though so I'm still learning what to do with it, any installation walkthrough would be nice
I have downloaded the .NET runtime.

Edit: don't worries, it was me been an idiot, works like a charm

Last edited:
Hey! Great design, but I can't seem to run it. I run it and I see the logo pop up in the hidden icons tab, but it later disappears and nothing happens. Please help!

Edit: I've also reinstalled synapse and Microsoft .NET multiple times but nothing seems to work.
Edit 2: Got it to work, had to see that it was recognized by synapse.

Last edited:
I have a custom HUD color and the utilized background color of my devices are still the orange or dimmed orange and the program doesnt seem to get hold of my configuration. Is there something I can do? Can I edit the all the colors manually somewhere?

I have a custom HUD color and the utilized background color of my devices are still the orange or dimmed orange and the program doesnt seem to get hold of my configuration. Is there something I can do? Can I edit the all the colors manually somewhere?

Hi! I've just published version 1.8.0. I'll implement manual editing of colors in a future release, but this version should sync the colors with your HUD.

Don't hesitate to bring any suggestions you may have.

Hi,

Love this project - it makes a huge difference to playing the game for me.

Unfortunately it's stopped working for me, I have the same issue as one of the posters above where the tray icon appears briefly and then disappears. Razer Synapse updated today so not sure if that is the problem.
I've re-installed but nothing seems to work currently.
Any help would be really appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,

Cheers,

Krys.

Unfortunately it's stopped working for me, I have the same issue as one of the posters above where the tray icon appears briefly and then disappears. Razer Synapse updated today so not sure if that is the problem.
I've re-installed but nothing seems to work currently.

Hi Krys! Just after the icon disappears, please open the Windows Event Viewer application, select the "Event Viewer (local) -> Windows Logs -> Application" and look for error entries with ".NET Runtime" as the event source. Please come back with whathever you find.

Application: EliteChroma.exe
CoreCLR Version: 4.700.20.36602
.NET Core Version: 3.1.7
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.Xml.XmlException: Unexpected end tag. Line 3, position 3.
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(String res, String arg)
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseDocumentContent()
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Read()
at System.Xml.Linq.XDeclaration..ctor(XmlReader r)
at System.Xml.Linq.XDocument.InitLoad(XmlReader reader, LoadOptions options)
at System.Xml.Linq.XDocument.Load(XmlReader reader, LoadOptions options)
at System.Xml.Linq.XDocument.Load(Stream stream, LoadOptions options)
at System.Xml.Linq.XDocument.Load(Stream stream)
at EliteFiles.Graphics.GraphicsConfig.FromFile(String path) in D:\Dev\GitHub\poveden\EliteChroma\src\EliteFiles\Graphics\GraphicsConfig.cs:line 44
at EliteFiles.Graphics.GraphicsConfigWatcher.<Reload>b__13_1() in D:\Dev\GitHub\poveden\EliteChroma\src\EliteFiles\Graphics\GraphicsConfigWatcher.cs:line 90
at EliteFiles.Internal.FileOperations.RetryIfNull[T](Func`1 action, Int32 retries) in D:\Dev\GitHub\poveden\EliteChroma\src\EliteFiles\Internal\FileOperations.cs:line 11
at EliteFiles.Graphics.GraphicsConfigWatcher.Reload() in D:\Dev\GitHub\poveden\EliteChroma\src\EliteFiles\Graphics\GraphicsConfigWatcher.cs:line 89
at EliteFiles.Graphics.GraphicsConfigWatcher.Start() in D:\Dev\GitHub\poveden\EliteChroma\src\EliteFiles\Graphics\GraphicsConfigWatcher.cs:line 55
at EliteChroma.Elite.GameStateWatcher.Start() in D:\Dev\GitHub\poveden\EliteChroma\src\EliteChroma.Core\Elite\GameStateWatcher.cs:line 81
at EliteChroma.Core.ChromaController.Start() in D:\Dev\GitHub\poveden\EliteChroma\src\EliteChroma.Core\ChromaController.cs:line 86
at EliteChroma.AppContext.CycleChromaController(AppSettings settings) in D:\Dev\GitHub\poveden\EliteChroma\src\EliteChroma\AppContext.cs:line 130
at EliteChroma.AppContext.Start() in D:\Dev\GitHub\poveden\EliteChroma\src\EliteChroma\AppContext.cs:line 66
at EliteChroma.Program.Main() in D:\Dev\GitHub\poveden\EliteChroma\src\EliteChroma\Program.cs:line 22

In the details tab:

Application: EliteChroma.exe CoreCLR Version: 4.700.20.36602 .NET Core Version: 3.1.7 Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception. Exception Info: System.Xml.XmlException: Unexpected end tag. Line 3, position 3. at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e) at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(String res, String arg) at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseDocumentContent() at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Read() at System.Xml.Linq.XDeclaration..ctor(XmlReader r) at System.Xml.Linq.XDocument.InitLoad(XmlReader reader, LoadOptions options) at System.Xml.Linq.XDocument.Load(XmlReader reader, LoadOptions options) at System.Xml.Linq.XDocument.Load(Stream stream, LoadOptions options) at System.Xml.Linq.XDocument.Load(Stream stream) at EliteFiles.Graphics.GraphicsConfig.FromFile(String path) in D:\Dev\GitHub\poveden\EliteChroma\src\EliteFiles\Graphics\GraphicsConfig.cs:line 44 at EliteFiles.Graphics.GraphicsConfigWatcher.<Reload>b__13_1() in D:\Dev\GitHub\poveden\EliteChroma\src\EliteFiles\Graphics\GraphicsConfigWatcher.cs:line 90 at EliteFiles.Internal.FileOperations.RetryIfNull[T](Func`1 action, Int32 retries) in D:\Dev\GitHub\poveden\EliteChroma\src\EliteFiles\Internal\FileOperations.cs:line 11 at EliteFiles.Graphics.GraphicsConfigWatcher.Reload() in D:\Dev\GitHub\poveden\EliteChroma\src\EliteFiles\Graphics\GraphicsConfigWatcher.cs:line 89 at EliteFiles.Graphics.GraphicsConfigWatcher.Start() in D:\Dev\GitHub\poveden\EliteChroma\src\EliteFiles\Graphics\GraphicsConfigWatcher.cs:line 55 at EliteChroma.Elite.GameStateWatcher.Start() in D:\Dev\GitHub\poveden\EliteChroma\src\EliteChroma.Core\Elite\GameStateWatcher.cs:line 81 at EliteChroma.Core.ChromaController.Start() in D:\Dev\GitHub\poveden\EliteChroma\src\EliteChroma.Core\ChromaController.cs:line 86 at EliteChroma.AppContext.CycleChromaController(AppSettings settings) in D:\Dev\GitHub\poveden\EliteChroma\src\EliteChroma\AppContext.cs:line 130 at EliteChroma.AppContext.Start() in D:\Dev\GitHub\poveden\EliteChroma\src\EliteChroma\AppContext.cs:line 66 at EliteChroma.Program.Main() in D:\Dev\GitHub\poveden\EliteChroma\src\EliteChroma\Program.cs:line 22

Apologies for the lateness of the reply, the help is really appreciated :)

I have to buy a new keyboard and I already have a Razer (Chroma compatible) mouse... what kind of effect it does when you're under attack or ship overheats? Now I'm definitively going to look for a Razer keyboard!

Application: EliteChroma.exe
CoreCLR Version: 4.700.20.36602
.NET Core Version: 3.1.7
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.Xml.XmlException: Unexpected end tag. Line 3, position 3.

There seems to be an issue while reading one of these files:
  • «GameInstallFolder»\GraphicsConfiguration.xml
  • «GameOptionsFolder»\Graphics\GraphicsConfigurationOverride.xml (Usually under the %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options folder)
Can you please share them with me?

Edit: On a closer look, it's very likely that the issue is at the GraphicsConfigurationOverride.xml file, given that the error occurs at line 3, suggesting a very small file. Perhaps just sharing that one will be enough.

Last edited:
I have to buy a new keyboard and I already have a Razer (Chroma compatible) mouse... what kind of effect it does when you're under attack or ship overheats? Now I'm definitively going to look for a Razer keyboard!

Hi! Currently the background of all Chroma devices pulse red in a rapid fashion in those situations. If you have a Chroma compatible mouse, it should already do that.

There seems to be an issue while reading one of these files:
  • «GameInstallFolder»\GraphicsConfiguration.xml
  • «GameOptionsFolder»\Graphics\GraphicsConfigurationOverride.xml (Usually under the %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options folder)
Can you please share them with me?

Edit: On a closer look, it's very likely that the issue is at the GraphicsConfigurationOverride.xml file, given that the error occurs at line 3, suggesting a very small file. Perhaps just sharing that one will be enough.

Hi Elrith,

You absolutely nailed it, I installed EDProfiler last night and it told me there was an error in the Override file, specifically a / where there was not supposed to be a /. However at the time I didn't give it much though, edited the file, and carried on using EDProfiler.
Then I read your message, facepalmed, and started EliteChroma and bingo, fixed :)

Many thanks dude, I am now a happy Commander again.

I received an unhandled exception running the tool for the first time.
Steam version with a different game location.
Would really appreciate any help you can provide.

** Exception Text **
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at EliteChroma.Forms.FrmAppSettings.TvSections_DrawNode(Object sender, DrawTreeNodeEventArgs e) in D:\Dev\GitHub\poveden\EliteChroma\src\EliteChroma\Forms\FrmAppSettings.cs:line 197
at System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.OnDrawNode(DrawTreeNodeEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.CustomDraw(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.WmNotify(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

** Loaded Assemblies **
System.Private.CoreLib
Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 4.700.20.47201
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/dotnet/shared/Microsoft.NETCore.App/3.1.9/System.Private.CoreLib.dll
----------------------------------------
EliteChroma
Assembly Version: 1.9.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.9.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/EliteChroma/EliteChroma.dll
System.Runtime
Assembly Version: 4.2.2.0
Win32 Version: 4.700.20.47203
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/dotnet/shared/Microsoft.NETCore.App/3.1.9/System.Runtime.dll
System.Threading
Assembly Version: 4.1.2.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/dotnet/shared/Microsoft.NETCore.App/3.1.9/System.Threading.dll
System.Windows.Forms
Win32 Version: 4.800.120.46503
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/dotnet/shared/Microsoft.WindowsDesktop.App/3.1.9/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing.Common
Assembly Version: 4.0.2.0
Win32 Version: 4.700.19.56404
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/dotnet/shared/Microsoft.WindowsDesktop.App/3.1.9/System.Drawing.Common.dll
System.Runtime.InteropServices
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/dotnet/shared/Microsoft.NETCore.App/3.1.9/System.Runtime.InteropServices.dll
System.Diagnostics.TraceSource
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/dotnet/shared/Microsoft.NETCore.App/3.1.9/System.Diagnostics.TraceSource.dll
System.Collections
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/dotnet/shared/Microsoft.NETCore.App/3.1.9/System.Collections.dll
System.Runtime.Extensions
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/dotnet/shared/Microsoft.NETCore.App/3.1.9/System.Runtime.Extensions.dll
System.ComponentModel.Primitives
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/dotnet/shared/Microsoft.NETCore.App/3.1.9/System.ComponentModel.Primitives.dll
System.Drawing.Primitives
Assembly Version: 4.2.1.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/dotnet/shared/Microsoft.NETCore.App/3.1.9/System.Drawing.Primitives.dll
System.Diagnostics.Debug
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/dotnet/shared/Microsoft.NETCore.App/3.1.9/System.Diagnostics.Debug.dll
System.Collections.Specialized
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/dotnet/shared/Microsoft.NETCore.App/3.1.9/System.Collections.Specialized.dll
EliteChroma.Core.Windows
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/EliteChroma/EliteChroma.Core.Windows.dll
EliteChroma.Core
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/EliteChroma/EliteChroma.Core.dll
netstandard
Assembly Version: 2.1.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/dotnet/shared/Microsoft.NETCore.App/3.1.9/netstandard.dll
Colore
Assembly Version: 6.0.0.14
Win32 Version: 6.0.0.14
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/EliteChroma/Colore.dll
Microsoft.Win32.Primitives
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/dotnet/shared/Microsoft.NETCore.App/3.1.9/Microsoft.Win32.Primitives.dll
Microsoft.Win32.SystemEvents
Assembly Version: 4.0.2.0
Win32 Version: 4.700.19.56404
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/dotnet/shared/Microsoft.WindowsDesktop.App/3.1.9/Microsoft.Win32.SystemEvents.dll
System.Threading.Thread
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/dotnet/shared/Microsoft.NETCore.App/3.1.9/System.Threading.Thread.dll
System.ComponentModel.EventBasedAsync
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/dotnet/shared/Microsoft.NETCore.App/3.1.9/System.ComponentModel.EventBasedAsync.dll
Accessibility
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/dotnet/shared/Microsoft.WindowsDesktop.App/3.1.9/Accessibility.dll
System.Collections.Concurrent
Assembly Version: 4.0.15.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/dotnet/shared/Microsoft.NETCore.App/3.1.9/System.Collections.Concurrent.dll
System.ComponentModel.TypeConverter
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/dotnet/shared/Microsoft.NETCore.App/3.1.9/System.ComponentModel.TypeConverter.dll
System.Resources.ResourceManager
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/dotnet/shared/Microsoft.NETCore.App/3.1.9/System.Resources.ResourceManager.dll
System.Resources.Extensions
Assembly Version: 4.0.1.0
Win32 Version: 4.700.20.21406
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/dotnet/shared/Microsoft.WindowsDesktop.App/3.1.9/System.Resources.Extensions.dll
System.Memory
Assembly Version: 4.2.1.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/dotnet/shared/Microsoft.NETCore.App/3.1.9/System.Memory.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/dotnet/shared/Microsoft.WindowsDesktop.App/3.1.9/System.Drawing.dll
System.Buffers
Assembly Version: 4.0.5.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/dotnet/shared/Microsoft.NETCore.App/3.1.9/System.Buffers.dll
System.ComponentModel
Assembly Version: 4.0.4.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/dotnet/shared/Microsoft.NETCore.App/3.1.9/System.ComponentModel.dll
System.Collections.NonGeneric
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/dotnet/shared/Microsoft.NETCore.App/3.1.9/System.Collections.NonGeneric.dll
System.Text.Json
Assembly Version: 4.0.1.2
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/dotnet/shared/Microsoft.NETCore.App/3.1.9/System.Text.Json.dll
System.IO.FileSystem
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/dotnet/shared/Microsoft.NETCore.App/3.1.9/System.IO.FileSystem.dll
EliteFiles
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/EliteChroma/EliteFiles.dll
System.Linq
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/dotnet/shared/Microsoft.NETCore.App/3.1.9/System.Linq.dll
Microsoft.Win32.Registry
Assembly Version: 4.1.3.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/dotnet/shared/Microsoft.NETCore.App/3.1.9/Microsoft.Win32.Registry.dll
System.Text.RegularExpressions
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/dotnet/shared/Microsoft.NETCore.App/3.1.9/System.Text.RegularExpressions.dll
System.Private.Uri
Assembly Version: 4.0.6.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/dotnet/shared/Microsoft.NETCore.App/3.1.9/System.Private.Uri.dll
System.Diagnostics.StackTrace
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/dotnet/shared/Microsoft.NETCore.App/3.1.9/System.Diagnostics.StackTrace.dll
System.Reflection.Metadata
Assembly Version: 1.4.5.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/dotnet/shared/Microsoft.NETCore.App/3.1.9/System.Reflection.Metadata.dll
System.Collections.Immutable
Assembly Version: 1.2.5.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/dotnet/shared/Microsoft.NETCore.App/3.1.9/System.Collections.Immutable.dll
System.IO.MemoryMappedFiles
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/dotnet/shared/Microsoft.NETCore.App/3.1.9/System.IO.MemoryMappedFiles.dll
System.Text.Encoding.Extensions
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/dotnet/shared/Microsoft.NETCore.App/3.1.9/System.Text.Encoding.Extensions.dll
System.Diagnostics.Tools
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/dotnet/shared/Microsoft.NETCore.App/3.1.9/System.Diagnostics.Tools.dll

** JIT Debugging **

Can't get this to work. This shows up whenever I try to launch the program for the first time. I have checked the file paths and they all lead to where they should. I have tried restarting my PC like radenska said, however its still not working :( Any ideas?

1604229960658.png

1604230106050.png

Can't get this to work. This shows up whenever I try to launch the program for the first time. I have checked the file paths and they all lead to where they should. I have tried restarting my PC like radenska said, however its still not working :( Any ideas?

View attachment 193787

View attachment 193798
I had similar issue and actually the program crashes on launch after that message.
I installed v1.8.0 instead, and that seems to be working for me.

I had similar issue and actually the program crashes on launch after that message.
I installed v1.8.0 instead, and that seems to be working for me.

Nice one, seems to be installing correctly now. Although now I can't open it? When I click on the icon in the system tray nothing opens.

My elite chroma stopped working for me, it shows up in the taskbar, and i have all the correct paths, but unfortunately it doesnt change the lighting, synapse doesnt recognize elite chroma in chroma connect either. help :(

A cool idea you could maybe add is when you have your hardpoints out, all keys become red and maybe flash when you're running low on Weapon Power
And the whole keyboard can flash blue then wipe to black from the centre to indicate your shields have gone down.

Top Bottom