The yeelight strip arrived today and whilst i have synapse 3 + yeelight chroma connector and elitechroma installed, elitechroma isn't showing in the connector app list (as mentioned earlier in the thread), i can't even browse to elitechroma to add it.
Some thing to try:
  • Ensure that you have the latest version of Razer Synapse 3.
  • Turn on the "Chroma Apps" switch on the top right of Synapse's Connect > Apps screen. EliteChroma should appear in the list after you run it, if not there already.
  • Ensure that the Yeelight Connector appears in Synapse's Connect > Devices screen (you probably did this already, but I'm afraid that I cannot verify if it should be there or not as I don't have any Yeelight devices).
  • Is there anything else that you should have enabled? I have a Philips Hue setup, and even if the previous steps are done, you still need to enable it in a specific Hue tab.
If we identify a bug, I'll create an issue on GitHub to track it.

So, i uninstalled synapse 3, chroma connector, cortex (which i mistakenly previously installed not needing it) as well as elitechroma.
I rebooted, then sifted through the registry to clean out any reference to razer apps. Rebooted again, reistalled elite chroma, then reinstalled the absolute latest version of synapse 3, reconnected to my yeelight, via a fresh install of chroma connector....
but elitechroma refuses to show in the connected apps list.

The yeelight shows up fine in the devices, but not a thing on the app side.

Elite chroma isn't complaining about elite's folder destinations or anything. It, in itself appears to be fine.

It simply isn't showing up in chroma.
as a test, i installed the audio visualiser app from the chroma workshop and that shows up in the list fine.

BUT if there's anything else you think i could try, or provide some kind of debug log to you, do let me know.

And thanks for reading all this rambling!

EDIT: perhaps i ought to add that i own no actual razer peripherals, just the light strip

Last edited:
EDIT: perhaps i ought to add that i own no actual razer peripherals, just the light strip
I really hope this is not what's causing the issue. It shouldn't be, at least.

What I can tell you is that Synapse detects apps like EliteChroma when you run them for the first time AND they use the Chroma SDK. Usually Synapse loads during Windows startup, so by the time you open EliteChroma, Synapse will already be there. However, EliteChroma won't start lighting your devices until it detects that the game is running.

So, the steps that I would follow would be:
  1. Start Synapse (usually already started during Windows start-up)
  2. Start EliteChroma
  3. Start Elite Dangerous (watch out if you have both Horizons and Odyssey, as EliteChroma will detect only the one you tell it to)
  4. While the game is running, open the Synapse app and check if EliteChroma shows up there (and ensure that that switch on the top right is turned on)
Please let me know how it goes.

so,
1. loaded Synapse 3.6.515.51215 (Razor Central loads on boot)
2. ran elitechroma 1.12.0 - no issues detected (all directories are fine)
3. ran ED launcher, updated files (a common occurence currently) (all directories are fine)
4. launched EDO (currently in windowed mode, so that Chroma studio can activate Ambient awareness mode)
5. Switched back to Synapse to see if EC was listed in the apps section

it hasn't appeared.

(i would be correct in thinking that any SDK modules elitechroma needs, are bundled as part of synapse, right? i don't need an additional resource here?)
I also don't need to try and get EC to run as an admin (or with admin rights) do I?
As mentioned previously, the audio visualiser appear in the app list and works fine

Just not seeing EC listed in the synapse apps list.

could there be any conflict between .NET 3.51 and other versions present on my PC?
Do you know if EC checks to see if there are any razor chroma compatible peripherals that aren't actual Razer items?
I don't know if this would be of any help, but Yee light also have an SDK page. https://www.yeelight.com/en_US/developer
I know this is currently very much an edge case, so I do appreciate any help you are able to give.

4. launched EDO (currently in windowed mode, so that Chroma studio can activate Ambient awareness mode)
You cannot have both. Only one application "owns" the lighting of all devices. Either it's Synapse directly, or another application. That being said, in theory EliteChroma should take over when ED is running.

(i would be correct in thinking that any SDK modules elitechroma needs, are bundled as part of synapse, right? i don't need an additional resource here?)
No, nothing else is needed. The Razer SDK exposes a single DLL, RzChromaSDK64.dll. If EliteChroma is not able to find it, it will complain with a message box and close.

I also don't need to try and get EC to run as an admin (or with admin rights) do I?
No, no admin rights are needed at all.

could there be any conflict between .NET 3.51 and other versions present on my PC?
I highly doubt it. If that would be the case, EliteChroma would just crash. Be aware, though, that if EliteChroma crashes, it will do so silently, but you will notice when you move the mouse over EliteChroma's task tray icon and it just disappears.

Do you know if EC checks to see if there are any razor chroma compatible peripherals that aren't actual Razer items?
No, it doesn't care. EliteChroma will connect to the SDK and try to light all available devices.

In general, just the fact that EliteChroma is not showing up in Synapse means that nothing will happen, so we should focus there first. I'm attaching a ZIP file. Please download it, drop the contents into a new, empty folder of your liking, and run Sandbox.exe. This is a tool that I use to test keyboard layouts by highlighting the pressed keys. You won't see any effect since you don't have a Razer keyboard, of course, but just by executing this program it should connect to the SDK and, in consequence, appear in the apps list.

Try it and tell me how it goes.

Attachments

• Sandbox.zip
    112.1 KB · Views: 137
Ok, will do.

I was/am running chroma studio so that something happens whilst playing elite, moving forward i'm more than happy to uninstall it (or at least deactivate it) to remove it from the equation.

And of course, i'll keep you posted as to how the sandbox works out.

Thanks again!

well, sandbox seems to be working.
it shows up in the connects apps list and is green too.

I've also attached the txt file generated whilst running the sandbox, just in case that's also useful too.

Attachments

• sandbox_result_working.PNG
    sandbox_result_working.PNG
    58.1 KB · Views: 114
  • VKMap_en-GB_0809-0809-00000809.txt
    12.4 KB · Views: 133
it shows up in the connects apps list and is green too.
EliteChroma uses the exact same method for registering itself on Synapse, so if the Sandbox appears, so should EliteChroma.

The only explanation I have is that EliteChroma is not detecting when the ED process is running. Synapse will only know about EliteChroma when it starts to use its services, and that will only happen when EliteChroma sees the game running.

Please do this:
  1. Run ED
  2. While ED is running, open the Windows Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc)
  3. Go to the "Details" tab
  4. Look for the "EliteDangerous64.exe" process (EliteChroma should be around, as well)
  5. Right-click over it, and select "Properties" on the pop-up menu.
  6. On the window that appears, note the location of the file
Send me that location, and send me as well the location that EliteChroma is pointing to (by your screenshot of a few days ago, it should be "D:\Games\Frontier\EDLaunch\Products\elite-dangerous64"). Both paths should match.

Hello again.
so i thought I'd try out a test and see if horizons would behave any differently, but no, it too doesn't have any effect.

both the game installation paths in Elite Chroma are exactly where my versions are.
(the D drive version in the screenshot was an older install of the launcher from 2018)

My Odyssey path:-
C:\Users\marks\AppData\Local\Frontier_Developments\Products\elite-dangerous-odyssey-64

My Horizons path:-
C:\Users\marks\AppData\Local\Frontier_Developments\Products\elite-dangerous-64

My game options folder:-
C:\Users\marks\AppData\Local\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options

journal folders:-
C:\Users\marks\Saved Games\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous

But try as i might, i have no joy in getting EC to connect or appear in the synapse app list, whilst EDO is running.

Sorry for the delay. I've just published version 1.13.0. Two things to note:
  • EliteChroma now requires the .NET 5.0 Desktop Runtime.
    Make sure that you have it installed (if you haven't already)
  • I've added a "Detect when ED process is running on the foreground" checkbox (in the "General" tab).
    I suspect that EC is not able to detect whether ED is running, so you should uncheck this option and try again.
Let me know how it goes.

Well, I have to report...

THAT IT NOW WORKS!!!

woo hoo!
I don't know what you needed to do to change it, but, yeah, unchecking the detector mode seems to have helped kick it in to action.
EC show up in the synapse list, is green and active and reacts within Elite Dangerous Odyssey.

I'll let it settle in before I start requesting any colour additions :D, but awesome work! :D
Thank you so much for persevering and doing whatever you needed to do to keep this going.

You're a star!
Cheers

Last edited:
Hi there, I'm having an issue where the exe appears for a second in the system tray and then disappears. My Event Viewer has the following error:

Application: EliteChroma.exe
CoreCLR Version: 5.0.721.25508
.NET Version: 5.0.7
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.ArgumentException: '2' cannot be greater than 1.
at System.Math.ThrowMinMaxException[T](T min, T max)
at EliteFiles.Graphics.GuiColourMatrixEntry..ctor(Double r, Double g, Double b) in D:\Dev\GitHub\poveden\EliteChroma\src\EliteFiles\Graphics\GuiColourMatrixEntry.cs:line 26
at EliteFiles.Graphics.GuiColourMatrixEntry.FromXml(XElement xml) in D:\Dev\GitHub\poveden\EliteChroma\src\EliteFiles\Graphics\GuiColourMatrixEntry.cs:line 52
at EliteFiles.Graphics.GuiColourMatrix.FromXml(XElement xml) in D:\Dev\GitHub\poveden\EliteChroma\src\EliteFiles\Graphics\GuiColourMatrix.cs:line 57
at EliteFiles.Graphics.GuiColourDictionary.FromXml(XElement xml) in D:\Dev\GitHub\poveden\EliteChroma\src\EliteFiles\Graphics\GuiColourDictionary.cs:line 32
at EliteFiles.Graphics.GraphicsConfig.FromFile(String path) in D:\Dev\GitHub\poveden\EliteChroma\src\EliteFiles\Graphics\GraphicsConfig.cs:line 55
at EliteFiles.Graphics.GraphicsConfigWatcher.<Reload>b__15_1() in D:\Dev\GitHub\poveden\EliteChroma\src\EliteFiles\Graphics\GraphicsConfigWatcher.cs:line 108
at EliteFiles.Internal.FileOperations.RetryIfNull[T](Func`1 action, Int32 retries) in D:\Dev\GitHub\poveden\EliteChroma\src\EliteFiles\Internal\FileOperations.cs:line 11
at EliteFiles.Graphics.GraphicsConfigWatcher.Reload() in D:\Dev\GitHub\poveden\EliteChroma\src\EliteFiles\Graphics\GraphicsConfigWatcher.cs:line 107
at EliteFiles.Graphics.GraphicsConfigWatcher.Start() in D:\Dev\GitHub\poveden\EliteChroma\src\EliteFiles\Graphics\GraphicsConfigWatcher.cs:line 58
at EliteChroma.Elite.GameStateWatcher.Start() in D:\Dev\GitHub\poveden\EliteChroma\src\EliteChroma.Core\Elite\GameStateWatcher.cs:line 97
at EliteChroma.Core.ChromaController.Start() in D:\Dev\GitHub\poveden\EliteChroma\src\EliteChroma.Core\ChromaController.cs:line 106
at EliteChroma.AppContext.CycleChromaController(AppSettings settings) in D:\Dev\GitHub\poveden\EliteChroma\src\EliteChroma\AppContext.cs:line 154
at EliteChroma.AppContext.Start() in D:\Dev\GitHub\poveden\EliteChroma\src\EliteChroma\AppContext.cs:line 68
at EliteChroma.Program.Main() in D:\Dev\GitHub\poveden\EliteChroma\src\EliteChroma\Program.cs:line 38

Would love this to work :)

Just started using this, really nice job. Unfortunately it does always show all my keybinds especially on foot, but from what you've said that's EDO not detecting my TKL keyboard correctly

@Elrith Superb job on this, works almost flawlessly and I especially like the animations. A few observations / suggestions:
  1. My on foot Odyssey key bindings don't seem to work, it's just illuminating ESC and the four cursor directions on the numeric keypad. All other key bindings seem to be working fine.
  2. Is there a way to add in a few extra lit chroma keys of my own, at all times? For example, I have key binds for stopping / starting GeForce video recording that I would like lit, and I would like to illuminate my macro keys too.
  3. Would you consider adding illumination for the screenshot key F10 (and Alt-F10)?
  4. Is it possible to detect when the Elite chat text field is active and has focus and illuminate all alphanumeric keys?
  5. I notice that normal in-ship key bindings are lit when in a taxi or dropship, guessing there's nothing you can do about this?

Last edited:
@Elrith Superb job on this, works almost flawlessly and I especially like the animations...
Thanks! I'm glad you like it.

My on foot Odyssey key bindings don't seem to work, it's just illuminating ESC and the four cursor directions on the numeric keypad. All other key bindings seem to be working fine.
I haven't added on foot bindings yet. I'm working on that now but it will take a few days, as I'm on the Apollo XV expedition right now.

Is there a way to add in a few extra lit chroma keys of my own, at all times? For example, I have key binds for stopping / starting GeForce video recording that I would like lit, and I would like to illuminate my macro keys too.
Right now there's no way to do that, but it's possible. I've added issue #116 to track this feature.

Would you consider adding illumination for the screenshot key F10 (and Alt-F10)?
That's easy to add. I've created issue #117 to track it.

Is it possible to detect when the Elite chat text field is active and has focus and illuminate all alphanumeric keys?
It's possible to detect when the screen view is oriented towards the chat area, however it's there's currently no way to know when the input field has the focus. It might be possible (e.g. by sniffing keystrokes), but I have to do more research. Added issue #118 to track this.

I notice that normal in-ship key bindings are lit when in a taxi or dropship, guessing there's nothing you can do about this?
I haven't added checks for those situations yet. I've added issue #119 to track it.

And thank you for your feedback!

Hey, so ive been using the Elite Chroma app for a while. I love it. And recently, i have found something, that i have a question for.

So (as many newer gaming rigs do) i have RGBs, not a big deal, but i ALSO recently bought some Hue Ambient lights, which have synced to Synapse. Now, when i play, with Elite Chroma active (i always do) the light during flight, are yellow/orange, on both my Hue Lights and my pc tower. IS their a way to change that color? I tried changing Ambient, but that only effected the color when docking.

Hey, so ive been using the Elite Chroma app for a while. I love it. And recently, i have found something, that i have a question for.

So (as many newer gaming rigs do) i have RGBs, not a big deal, but i ALSO recently bought some Hue Ambient lights, which have synced to Synapse. Now, when i play, with Elite Chroma active (i always do) the light during flight, are yellow/orange, on both my Hue Lights and my pc tower. IS their a way to change that color? I tried changing Ambient, but that only effected the color when docking.
Thank! I'm glad you like it.

Razer Chroma RGB has the following "categories" of devices:
  • Keyboards
  • Mice
  • Keypads
  • Headsets
  • Mousepads
  • ChromaLink devices
All Chroma-ready devices that aren't on the first 4 categories (e.g. Philips Hue lights, some PC motherboards, PC RAM DIMM sticks) fall into the "ChromaLink" category. They are treated as "background" or "ambient" lights and, depending on the device, can have as many as 4 configurable colors. All of them are treated as if they were a single device, so if you set a color on them, it will be applied to all of them at the same time.

EliteChroma applies coloring in the following situations:
  • In normal operation, lights will be set to soft orange (or whatever color the main HUD is), or soft cyan if the ship is in analysis mode. If hardpoints are deployed, lights will brighten.
  • While the landing gear is deployed, lights will be set to pure blue.
  • When attacked, in danger, or overheating, lights will be set to pulsing red.
  • While on hyperspace, lights will flash imitating particles or "clouds" passing by.
How would you like to change these lights?

Last edited:
Top Bottom