Elite's co-creator David Braben moves to a new role of President and Founder of Frontier, as Jonny Watts is promoted to CEO

Farewell, and Hello :)
fppkP99.gif

Maybe now is a good time to bring back the Braben bobblehead in the Frontier store.

Hey, a silly video. Let's do a tribute to the co-creator of the original Elite and went on to create Frontier: Elite II, Frontier: First Encounters plus a lot of other games. Decades dealing in the cutthroat gaming industry. Get a hit and lawsuits per others saying they had the idea first. Ian Bell rightfully had considerations about FE2. But it all ended up wasting time and money in UK courts. Meanwhile developing a game costs a fortune in any decade and a company can go out of business if it fails.

That happened to GameTek in the 1990s. They made a lot of money with FE2 in 1993 but pushed too hard for the FFE release in 1995 when Braben told them it was not ready. They released it and FEE became known as the most bugged game ever released in gaming history. GameTek went out of business and Braben was devastated. So Braben put away Elite because NO ONE would invest in it and went on to develop other games taking short of three decades to get a company called Frontier Developments profitable enough to go back to Elite.

In 2014 Elite Dangerous was released using players in a co-funding site. I have the video of the launch. It worked. Frontier has how many programmers now?

So as tribute lets go with selling the Braben Bobbleheads to appreciate all he went through where we are now with Elite Dangerous Odyssey. I'll put it on all my three accounts and haven't played the PS4 since I can't memenber! It will sell 100 times more than anything in the Frontier store. If it wasn't for David Braben and his vision we wouldn't be playing this game and exploring the galaxy.

Regards

Last edited:
So this could be the end for Elite Dangerous. With Braben gone, so is his vision and all the promises. Feels like he is distancing him self from Elite Dangerous.
Is it a coincidence that this is happening right after Odyssey failure, massive drop in players numbers, cancelation of console, canceletion of VR for Odyssey, the road map with no content, and just recycling older content? Probably not.

This are all signes of impending doom... the goids are coming!

So this could be the end for Elite Dangerous. With Braben gone, so is his vision and all the promises. Feels like he is distancing him self from Elite Dangerous.
Is it a coincidence that this is happening right after Odyssey failure, massive drop in players numbers, cancelation of console, canceletion of VR for Odyssey, the road map with no content, and just recycling older content? Probably not.

This are all signes of impending doom... the goids are coming!
Or maybe he's just getting closer to retirement. That's one hell of a statement and imagination you're got there!

Last edited:
The Brabster?

We always used to call him The Breadbin (after he appeared in some publicity shot in his own kitchen, with a magnificent breadbin in the background). Unfortunately said shot seems to have been forgotten by the Internet.
Breadbin? What an insult. AFAIK Mr. Braben was never very fond of Commodore computers.

I didn't see this in the patch notes for update 13. Galnet reports didn't say "Super weapon fires and fails to remove Thargoid threat, causing the CEO Braben to step down" either. This really is a major change to the narrative, FDev have out done themselves this time.

I didn't see this in the patch notes for update 13. Galnet reports didn't say "Super weapon fires and fails to remove Thargoid threat, causing the CEO Braben to step down" either. This really is a major change to the narrative, FDev have out done themselves this time.
Jonny Watts was always behind Braben, plotting in shadows "The Rise of the Goids." And the moment Braben steps down, Super Weapon fails? This is the top conspiracy now.
"The Age of man is over"

I just hope that the change also means that the whole "toss the thing out of the doorway, no matter if ready of not" finally is a thing of the past. This method has plagued ED since shortly after its launch and nobody in FDs management yet seems to have found a fix for it.

(I personally still say: Stop simply connecting bonus payments to shipping dates. A company i was at in the past did just that, and our deliveries due to that had the same quality as we experienced in ED over many years. Connect the bonus payments to customer satisfaction instead, and you get good results. )

Top Bottom