Elite's Space Not Black As It's Covered In Gas!

Mangaia-milky-way.jpg

Milky_Way_Night_Sky_Black_Rock_Desert_Nevada.jpg

ESO-VLT-Laser-phot-33a-07.jpg

Milky_Way_Arch.jpg

Doesn't look that black to me.

If you want to see pitch black I suggest you visit the galaxy's outer rim, where stars aren't as dense.

Last edited:
Doesn't look that black to me.

If you want to see pitch black I suggest you visit the galaxy's outer rim, where stars aren't as dense.

Posting pictures with "long" exposure times and using high sensitivity sensors doesn't really help, but they look beautiful.

Btw: the brightness of the sky in ED is affected by the distance to the main star. Flying a few thousand ls away from the main star and the sky gets darker and more stars become visible.

It will be interesting to see how the new lighting system in chapter 4 is going to look like and affect the sky.

Posting pictures with "long" exposure times and using high sensitivity sensors doesn't really help, but they look beautiful.

Btw: the brightness of the sky in ED is affected by the distance to the main star. Flying a few thousand ls away from the main star and the sky gets darker and more stars become visible.

It will be interesting to see how the new lighting system in chapter 4 is going to look like and affect the sky.

This topic is as old as Surströmming. People will claim that the night sky pretty much looks like the pictures when you are out in the wild or on a mountain.

It's an in-game 'effect'... I just think it ought to be removed by Frontier if it's even possible.
What worries me is that the "space clouds" are even more prominent in the new lighting model to be released in Q4 (as we saw in the recent live broadcast on YouTube). I sure hope that was unintended and that they plan to deepen the blackness of space.

As to why the clouds bother some, I'm guessing that if you play in a well-lit room you won't notice them, but if you're like me and play in a darkened room, the clouds are quite visible. I try to not let it bother me.

You can probably reduce the effect, by changing the in-game gamma or by manually adjusting your monitor. My Asus gaming monitor has 4 slots to hold custom configurations, so I just switch between configs, as needed.

Last edited:
....As to why the clouds bother some, I'm guessing that if you play in a well-lit room you won't notice them, but if you're like me and play in a darkened room, the clouds are quite visible. I try to not let it bother me....

And this is indeed how I notice it. Which is to say, barely at all when playing in daylight hours, but at night the effect is quite noticeable.

I can't say it bothers me overly much, but I share your concern that the new lighting model in Q4 may exacerbate the issue.

• Like (+1)
Reactions: NW3
“Our night sky is based on real data—it is not a hand-drawn backdrop as you might expect,” Braben said. “But the Milky Way and many of the stars around it are simply too bright and too uniform when compared to the real observable night sky.” Braben knew that the Milky Way appears somewhat dim when viewed from Earth because of obscuring space dust, but he was surprised by the quantity of dust and absorbent matter that the team needed to add to the game world in order to match the real-world perspective. “It appears as though our planet actually sits within that dust cloud, which is why the Milky Way appears so faint,” he said.

Source.

My GPU has only 3GB of VRAM and every few days of uptime/sleep, depending on how much gaming I've been doing, it will start to run out of resources. In ED this often manifests as areas of space that fail to have the "grey overlay" applied. It makes big square areas of space look much, much darker but also kinda barren. I like the extra contrast with the stars, but I miss the dust. I'm not sure which I prefer to be honest.

There may be a setting buried deep in the preference file for setting the alpha on this but it's not a top priority for me. I just take it as a hint that it's time to a) reboot the PC and b) put a little more money in the "new GPU" pot.

This is all over DVI, not HDMI, so the RGB range tweak doesn't apply.

Also, a small note, guys: Earlier on, I thought of a better way to describe the effect.

It looks milky.

EDIT: On second thoughts, gas describes it better as the effect has that occasional 'break' in it, like a cloud or something.

Last edited:
I would of thaught the perfectly square sections of stars that get rendered close to the core might be just a tiny bit more of an issue than a faint gas clouds you may/may not see, lol

Also, a small note, guys: Earlier on, I thought of a better way to describe the effect.

It looks milky.

Good job the galaxy isn't named after its resemblance to.... ah never mind. :D

Fact is it's a game not a science project and I'm sure what we have here is a design decision taken to make the game look a bit more interesting than this:

defenderScreen.jpg

As with any aesthetic choice, some people will like it and some won't.

Hi Guys, how do i set the monitor's RGB, is it done on the monitor its self, or in the Pc setting

Go to display settings in your GPU software utility (eg, Adrenaline for AMD). And change Pixel Format to full RGB.

And don't forget to press Apply.

Last edited:
Looks pretty black to me once I get away from the glare of the system's suns (and looking perpendicular to the galactic disc).

Last edited:
On monitor i managed to fix that space clouds/gas but in VR using rift it's terrible, plus stars are so blurry!
Any settings advice on that?

Top Bottom