Powerplay Empire? Fed? Alliance? Independent? why did you choose who you chose?

if you can't tell from the title, i'm interested in why other players chose their faction to align with or stay independant. either the whole (empire, Alliance, Federation, independant) or the individual (Aisling, Li-Yong, Archon etc.), did you choose them for their appearance? or their values? just trying to start a friendly discussion [big grin]

Obviously my choice certainly wasn't based on appearance...... :p

I can remember gradually heading away from the starting systems and once I had enough cash to buy the Cobra MkIII I decided to head out to the blue section of the powerplay bubble. I was interested in the system of Cubeo, so following my visit I made the decision to pledge to Aisling.

After pledging I did tend to get interdicted a lot by Federal and Alliance agents, so developed a bit of a hatred towards them, but that has since lessened and now I hardly ever get chased by them for some reason.

So basically my decision was not based on any scientific or ethical reasons, but I am happy with my choice and my prismatic shields.

Last edited:
Pledged to the Alliance and Edmund Mahon. Their politics and values were what appealed to me the most, as I don't like the snobbish class-based Imperial system, nor the ruthless, greedy corporate style of the Federation. Out of all the Powers they are also a bit of the underdog. Up until the release of the Type-10, they didn't have a "Big Ship", and still don't have capital class ships (that we know of), but their principles make them who they are.

They also took a good position on the question of Thargoid Genocide, and it is thanks to their sense of humanity and morality that this did not get implemented.

Pledged to the Alliance and Edmund Mahon. Their politics and values were what appealed to me the most, as I don't like the snobbish class-based Imperial system, nor the ruthless, greedy corporate style of the Federation. Out of all the Powers they are also a bit of the underdog. Up until the release of the Type-10, they didn't have a "Big Ship", and still don't have capital class ships (that we know of), but their principles make them who they are.

They also took a good position on the question of Thargoid Genocide, and it is thanks to their sense of humanity and morality that this did not get implemented.

I've actually never met an Alliance player. It seems they are the less popular of the big three. I kinda guess that it was for ideals or play style that most people would choose them I'm not on anyone side at the moment.

Obviously my choice certainly wasn't based on appearance...... :p

I can remember gradually heading away from the starting systems and once I had enough cash to buy the Cobra MkIII I decided to head out to the blue section of the powerplay bubble. I was interested in the system of Cubeo, so following my visit I made the decision pledge to Aisling.

After pledging I did tend to get interdicted a lot by Federal and Alliance agents, so developed a bit of a hatred towards them, but that has since lessened and now I hardly ever get chased by them for some reason.

So basically my decision was not based on any scientific or ethical reasons, but I am happy with my choice and my prismatic shields.

That's kinda what I did. at some point I left Aisling cause I wanted to go independent for a while. now I don't know who I would choose. those I do tend to have leanings to empire as pretty much all my allied systems are there

Last edited:
if you can't tell from the title, i'm interested in why other players chose their faction to align with or stay independant. either the whole (empire, Alliance, Federation, independant) or the individual (Aisling, Li-Yong, Archon etc.), did you choose them for their appearance? or their values? just trying to start a friendly discussion [big grin]

Federation = too American; Empire = too British, so I stuck with the Alliance, as more balanced

Last edited:
I'm an Alliance guy mainly. When I first started out in the game I knew I wanted to be involved in politics so I did research, looked into lore & history of the game to find out which power I would be most comfortable with. It was an easy choice against the Feds with their oppressive hidden slavery. It was a toss up between Empire & Alliance but I went Alliance and stayed that way for over half a year.

More recently me and an Imperial friend of mine started up a group together, the Allied Imperial Coalition. Though technically we're independent as neither power would support us our goal is to protect the interests of both powers while limiting any conflict between the two. On the surface the two seem near opposites but on a deeper level they are similar. For example, slavery is not illegal in the Alliance as each system create and enforce their own laws. Plus, they both focus on freedom, very little is illegal in the Empire, in the Alliance each system is free to govern and police themselves as they see fit.

Anyway, it's going okay for us so far, I'm curious to see what people make of this.

Last edited:
I sent you a message A Sticky Bear, your group sounds interesting. let me know more about it over DM.

on another note... I found two sections of stars... that are just extremely high density of communist run sectors. there is a clump of 20+ of them at Bishan, right outside the bubble, not in control by any super power, and a larger 40-60+ stars are that is mostly out of the bubble, and slightly attached to Yuri Grom and the EM Pilots, take a look around Sanui if your interested. I only found them cause I noticed there weren't many communist stars around, so I went looking. pretty much all of them are balled together, without many different stars between them. its just high density communism

One of the very first Community Goals I took part in was in support of then-Senator Arissa Lavigny's investigation into who tried to assassinate Emperor Hengist Duval. The Imperial Clipper was available for purchase at 25% off. I bought one and thus pledged myself to her cause (and her fleet) at the end of April 3301.

In one of the last CGs before GalNet launched their Galactic Power Standings, I transported 'clothing' into Persephone to aide the Quiviran dissidents and refugees. Aisling's aide for refugees into Summerland won the week, but our supplies of clothing draped over personal and battle weapons changed the face of Persephone to the detriment of Patreus's personal image.

I rather wish Power Play had a bit more variable lore and competition than it has right now.

Last edited:
As i have always had a soft spot for The Empire in Star Wars and being English(?),i felt more of a connection to the Empire,who seem imo to be like the English,whilst the Fed's seem like our American cousin's. I was pledged for 2 years,serving both Duval's and reaching 98% Prince but i have i had a change of heart and now i'm independent with a view of joining the Alliance (the good guys??) when they finally get a navy! o7

I was Empire in Frontier: Elite II - they ships were the coolest plus their no hold bars capitalism appealed to me :) As such when choosing a Power it had to be Empire and although I'm don't mind a bit of filling people full of lead at heart I'm a miner & trader so it had to be Torval and hopefully the Q4 update will mean that I can be more of the former.

Archon Delaine, because why not? He's pretty much an undisputed bad guy, and bad guys are underdogs.

Crime pays, anarchy will rule, and society will burn! [haha]

I choose for Empire ( Allied in any system and faction I gone ) and I'm always on the top with Empire. Better missions rewards, better ships ( anaconda vs federal X ), more resolvible problems than Federation ( actually empire have not problems with Thargoids, for now :D ). The only true opposite ( for me ) is in the bounties in the nav beacons. Paied much lower than alliance or federation but not a big deal, I go there to do bounty.

I'm also allied with federation (Generic, no faction allied, and i am without any rank ) and friendly with alliance ( the same )

If there will be a big war between Empire, Alliance and Federation, I will be with Empire. Meanwhile why why not take advantage of all the opportunities?

Archon Delaine, because why not? He's pretty much an undisputed bad guy, and bad guys are underdogs.

Crime pays, anarchy will rule, and society will burn! [haha]

Technically Delaine represents the ultimate meritocracy, in that the only limitation on your social standing is your own ambition and skill. If you are weak and exploitable then you become a stepping stone for others to use.

I chose Aisling Duval (empire) because I wanted the prismatic shields. Now that I have them I am going back solo because I don't like seeing hostile on my screen D:

I went through phases of Powerplay and found some of the powers to be as follows

Alliance - having no balls
Aisling Duval - greedy and money hungry
Archon Delanie - a bunch of softees with purses
Hudson - Brawn and no brains
Winters - a bunch of sad whinging losers who do not uphold their motto
Arrissa Duval - kisses Alliance's backside
Pranav Antal - dedicated to a fault
Patreus - Kisses Arrissa's backside

Last edited:
Empire.

Because both Aisling and ALD are gorgeous. No, you don't get to question it. It's just true.

Patreus - Kisses Arrissa's backside

...and we've been waiting on the video footage for months.

Last edited:
Top Bottom