Empyrion: Galactic Survival - First Impressions

I don't trust rotors and hinges. It's all prone to spontaneous deconstruction. I put a spinner on a mast in FtD to simulate a radar dish but that is it. SE I used the Blast doors. I always had in mind to set up in situ missile/torpedo production and launching but I never really figured out the BP system and the concept of grids and mergblocks and the like.

Few more pics. These two planets are mod planets.

Empyrion 2021-09-01 14-12-43-72.jpg

Empyrion 2021-09-02 03-51-11-54.jpg

Empyrion 2021-09-02 04-27-43-32.jpg

Empyrion 2021-09-02 04-28-07-55.jpg

Empyrion 2021-09-02 04-31-10-85.jpg

Empyrion 2021-09-02 21-00-54-10.jpg

Not sure of the guys name that made the planets, but he pretty much nailed the look.

Some vids, only short ones.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jktnPCnQmY

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwgNAcYxI04

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gA-kNsJkwiY

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6Ejt7SHNEQ

Last edited:
I don't trust rotors and hinges. It's all prone to spontaneous deconstruction. I put a spinner on a mast in FtD to simulate a radar dish but that is it. SE I used the Blast doors. I always had in mind to set up in situ missile/torpedo production and launching but I never really figured out the BP system and the concept of grids and mergblocks and the like.
I've learned where they work and where they do not, through trial and painful error. For example, I've had terrible luck trying to build a Gauntlet Fighter with it's rotating wings and vectored thrust, because SE seems to hate vectored thrust (despite Keen showing it off in one of their promo videos). It's a clang bomb waiting to happen.

iu

But I have had luck using rotors and hinges to build my own custom large-to-small grid turret systems, even on a multiplayer server where clang is amplified by network lag. That said, if I can achieve the same goal without a rotor or hinge, I'll always choose KISS just to play it safe.

I've learned where they work and where they do not, through trial and painful error. For example, I've had terrible luck trying to build a Gauntlet Fighter with it's rotating wings and vectored thrust, because SE seems to hate vectored thrust (despite Keen showing it off in one of their promo videos). It's a clang bomb waiting to happen.
Welcome back! :)

Welcome back! :)
Thanks! Like Space Engineers lately, I tend to pop in every couple of weeks to see what's going on, say a quick "hi", and pop out again. Speaking of, when I checked CA2 today, it was running at full speed! HURRAY!!! So I might take my ship out for a tour to see what has been happening while I've been in hibernation.

One of the things I really like about SE Online is that I and my assets are an entity in the game whether I am playing or not. Like Khan aboard the Botany Bay, I've been in cryofreeze adrift in my ship for all these months as other players continue to do their own things. Anyone could have come across my ship, though the odds are remotely slim since I'm in deep space. Life continues as I've slept - empires have risen and fallen, battles have been fought, the landscape of the solar system has changed, all new and different for me to awaken to and explore. This is a very different feeling than just pausing a game and having the entire universe pick up where I left off. It's also different than Elite where I cease to exist when not logged in, with no risk or presence in the galaxy, except for my fleet carrier.

Fingers crossed that CA2 keeps running at 100%. I've been itching to get back into SE as the time allows, and CA2 still remains my favorite server at present.

I wish I wasn't such a graphics (and audio) snob, otherwise I'd probably really like this game. But I am. 🤷‍♂️
But we can't all be perfect.. ;)

To be honest I don't mind the graphics, infact I think they are rather nice, like an old film from the 40's/50's.
I don't think for one minute Eleon are going for realistic graphics, as in say SC style. But they are similar to HG with NMS, in that they have a style from way back, that sits well with some players (me included).

I wonder if sometimes better graphics is the best route. Arma 3 looked great, Arma 2 OA+dlc's is far better gameplay, immersion & mod wise. (for me at least)

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcZnagd5WDo

Last edited:
The latest ship I'm using from the workshop in a Project Eden game. Are the GFX any worse than SE?

View attachment 263158
IMO, they each have their advantages and their disadvantages, when it comes to ship building.

SE has more of "hard sci-fi" feel, has fewer options overall when it comes to design, and the greebling is already built in. OTOH, it has a ton of technical blocks, like hinges, pistons, rotors, as well as scripting language, in addition to its sensor logic. It's also a engineering game first, and a "survival" game a distant second.

EGS has more of a space opera feel, it has a lot more options when it comes to design, those options make for some great greebling opportunities. Sadly, it doesn't have technical blocks, and while it does have some logical gates attached to its sensor logic, it doesn't take it to the level that SE does. It's a survival game first, with a great ship and base building system included.

edit:

As for the graphics themselves, I personally think the graphics overall are better in EGS, but the character models are definitely better in SE. YMMV

IMO, they each have their advantages and their disadvantages, when it comes to ship building.

SE has more of "hard sci-fi" feel, has fewer options overall when it comes to design, and the greebling is already built in. OTOH, it has a ton of technical blocks, like hinges, pistons, rotors, as well as scripting language, in addition to its sensor logic. It's also a engineering game first, and a "survival" game a distant second.

EGS has more of a space opera feel, it has a lot more options when it comes to design, those options make for some great greebling opportunities. Sadly, it doesn't have technical blocks, and while it does have some logical gates attached to its sensor logic, it doesn't take it to the level that SE does. It's a survival game first, with a great ship and base building system included.

edit:

As for the graphics themselves, I personally think the graphics overall are better in EGS, but the character models are definitely better in SE. YMMV
Yep, that about sums it up.

The latest ship I'm using from the workshop in a Project Eden game. Are the GFX any worse than SE?

View attachment 263158
There's no denying that ship is lovely. My problem with EGS is the lighting. It's not terrible outside, but inside it's very much lacking IMO. Even in your example, I'm not seeing and self-shadow on that ship, just ground shadows. FWIW, I have seen some really talented ship designers use clever placement of colored lights and other optical tricks to make their interiors look better than "vanilla", but that's a heck of a lot of work for something that the graphics engine should handle naturally.

If someone came along and modded EGS like people mod Minecraft to greatly improve the lighting system, then I would be more inclined to play it, though Space Engineers would still likely be my favorite of the two (at least as long as my home SE server keeps running well). Oh, and fix the awful DOS sound effects, too!

Anywho, just my opinion.

My problem with EGS is the lighting. It's not terrible outside, but inside it's very much lacking IMO. Even in your example, I'm not seeing and self-shadow on that ship, just ground shadows.
You mean, like this?

Note the shadow by the seat.

or these from an older build of the game?

I'd use more current examples, but I've only played EGS and SE briefly since building my new computer, and I didn't bother importing my old saves.

The picture you're criticizing for a lack of self-shadows looks like it was taken at a time and angle that would minimize shadows.

Last edited:
The picture you're criticizing for a lack of self-shadows looks like it was taken at a time and angle that would minimize shadows.

You are correct. I went into the debug menu and put the sun directly overhead.

I don't get why the game hasn't had more traction in the marketplace. It is a good survival/space game once you get into it.

Top Bottom