End of the Road

While not a Chiggy marathon - I nonetheless completed a 12.7 kLy long-range Jumponium-gathering run for the Fuel Rats the other day: a Cmdr had accidentally neutron-hopped into a system and didn't have the range - or FSD injection synthesis materials - to jump out....

I tried laser mining for a bit - but knowing there was a landable moon around the ringed GG - that had all materials needed for Standard injections - we dropped down planetside...The Cmdr had - up to that point - been a 'vanilla' :D explorer - they had never even launched to Horizons! Needless to say - even the 0.1 g gravity proved a bit steep - and I had to dust off my Hull Seal repair limpets as well before we could get to mat farming proper....

Luck was with us even more - in that the moon had 26 geological sites - so I knew our search for Carbon, Germanium, Niobium and Vanadium would be a success....

Now the challenge: how does a ship without even a SRV hangar collect raw materials on the surface? Simple - I would shoot the material deposits - and when I found one of the needed Jumponium mats - I would 'paint the target' with my SRV turret - so the Cmdr could clearly see the target and line up to collect with the cargo scoop....

55aPX9X.jpg

(I suspect the hatch may need some extra paint :))

All went off without a hitch! My first 'Chiggy' / jumponium material rescue in ~ 30 Hull Seal & 10+ Fuel Rat deployments....This one was really memorable for me....and naturally brought me back to share in this thread....

Fly safe Cmdrs o7

Last edited:
I got pointed here from another thread ("Long way home, what to pack?")... epic read, great story, fantastic rescue. I have both systems bookmarked for my planned expedition to Beagle Point (sometime after Odyssey release as my friend wants to do a squadron expedition around the core).

So far (not very long, been playing since Feb this year), I've not needed rescuing in my explorations, but on my first trip out (led by above mentioned friend), we were taking the neutron highway from a bit south of the bubble to about 7kLy north, but me in a slower ship (unengineered DbX (now lvl 5 + booster)) and while doing the neutrons, I got to thinking "you know, this could be dangerous, as there might be no way back", though I didn't worry too much at the time because the stars were always fairly dense (even for a 37ly range). My next expedition (solo), I went to the top of the galaxy, and where did I find myself? Sitting in a neutron system with my target 100ly out, and not a lot of stars visible on the map. I debated what to do, and went to sleep on it. I then remembered finding "FSD injection" in the synthesis display and that it could boost my range. Checked it out and I had sufficient mats for 3 (maybe 6) premiums, so I took the jump. The only reason I regretted it was fighting with the galaxy map (jump range lines kept fading out as I tried to follow them, I've since got the knack of it (zoom out just right, and they stay visible as you move around)).

I've now done a few trips to the roof of the galaxy (and a couple down to the basement). It's a good place for finding fresh systems, but neutron stars always make me nervous out there: 4x for NS vs 2x for premium injection... (white dwarfs aren't a worry because they give only 1.5x boost).

Top Bottom