Engineering level question

Just starting out in abit of engineering so far i have a 5a fsd at level 4 increased range and multicannons at level 3 efficient weapons, material then became an issue so had to stop there, now got more materials. My play style is me v npc for now.

which modules should i be looking at taking to level 5 and which modules are not worth engineering at all. currently i fly a python and a krait mkII i understand i could swap mods across the 2 ships but its just as easy to give them their own set of mods.

thanks

My play style is me v npc for now.

which modules should i be looking at taking to level 5 and which modules are not worth engineering at all.

There's no rule really, obviously level 5 gives the greatest 'advantages', but it's going to be up to you how far you need to go. It's probably worth mentioning that once you do start engineering modules to level 5 it's not necessarily worth completing the mod as the last few 'rolls' often give you only a tiny increase.

For example, the only mods that I usually complete at grade 5 are thrusters ( because I want my ships to go as fast as they can) and FSD (because I want them to jump as far as they can) and sometimes lightweight mods, again for speed and jump range purposes. Weapons I will very rarely go past three or four rolls at level 5, and in some cases I have even left them at grade 4 which is perfectly effective against NPC's.

Which modules to engineer will again be down to what you want to achieve from the mods. For example, if you are building a combat ship, but want it to be really fast, as well as engineering your thrusters, you may want to engineer other modules to be lightweight, sensors, life support and perhaps even some of your weapons.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there aren't any hard and fast rules, just engineer based upon what you want to get out of the ship. And don't forget the experimental effects, they really can make a difference to an engineered module at any grade.

You're welcome.

If you don't mind using third party (out of game) resources, Inara has a very good section on engineers and engineering. And of course if you have specific questions plenty of helpful people around to answer them. I'd suggest posting in the Ships and Engineers sub-forum. :)

Coriolis app/site allows you to build a ship and see how it pans out...modify it as you go...without actually building it. Handy if your not sure of something. Good for comparisons too.

As others have said, there is no fixed rule.

However there are some common recipes that make sense in many cases...
  • Frame shift drive: Increased range with Mass manager experimental. You can never have toooooooo much jump range!!!!!. Pin the increased range blueprint... (Also mug up on unlocking Guardian FSD boosters - try that when you feel ready and fancy a 1000LY each way weekend break).
  • Thrusters: Two options depending mainly if heat is an issue.... If heat is not a worry, then Dirty drives with Drag experimental, if heat is a worry then Clean (optionally add drag modification but that impacts heat).. Getting more than G3 access means unlocking a tree of enginners that will take a while (Palin and Sedesi. -Whilst Sedesi is a bit out of the way, it makes sense to do both as you can then pin both Dirty and Clean blueprints.... Both Palin and Sedesi have similar unlocks, so when you collect the sensor fragments, get enough for both of them)..
  • Power plants: If you have power issues then Overcharged might help... I keep overcharged pinned.
  • Power distributor; One where what you do depends on the role of the ship... Possibly Charged Enhanced with cluster capacitors bing a good starting point for your thinking... I keep Charge Enhanced pinned...

Oh just a quick digression from "strictly engineering" stuff.......... About the Guardian FSD booster unlock, this does require SRV combat against Guardian Sentinels. A lot of the below is covered in various guides but I thought it best to emphasise a few important things, so that I don't lead you into risk, unprepared...

Be sure to have your SRV turret aiming bindings set up well. I use Mouse to control the aim.... Additionally the Sentinels use missiles from time to time . The missiles risk can be almost entirely mitigated by installing a point defence on the TOP of your ship, and when you land, orient the ship so that the PD will be able to cover you as you roam the site. It will then deal with the missiles for you... Also consider taking a spare SRV. The sites can be difficult to land near, so don't take a large ship..

I was I total newbie to SRV combat when I first tried this.. I had to sort out the turret aiming bindings thing between Sentinel engagements, but I survived to tell the tale. Expect it, and it will be intense at times, but manageable even for the more green players (as long as you expect it)

Oh just a quick digression from "strictly engineering" stuff.......... About the Guardian FSD booster unlock, this does require SRV combat against Guardian Sentinels. A lot of the below is covered in various guides but I thought it best to emphasise a few important things, so that I don't lead you into risk, unprepared...

Be sure to have your SRV turret aiming bindings set up well. I use Mouse to control the aim.... Additionally the Sentinels use missiles from time to time . The missiles risk can be almost entirely mitigated by installing a point defence on the TOP of your ship, and when you land, orient the ship so that the PD will be able to cover you as you roam the site. It will then deal with the missiles for you... Also consider taking a spare SRV. The sites can be difficult to land near, so don't take a large ship..

I was I total newbie to SRV combat when I first tried this.. I had to sort out the turret aiming bindings thing between Sentinel engagements, but I survived to tell the tale. Expect it, and it will be intense at times, but manageable even for the more green players (as long as you expect it)
In addition to parking the ship with the PD on it upper surface near the middle of either side of the complex. When not if the srv comes under fire, make sure to have the brakes on. Getting near the poles you have to power up will activate the sentinels, you can take out all the sentinels prior to actually powering the six poles, then return at your leisure.

Top Bottom