Enough with the posts about ship interiors

Pretty much spot on, except you forgot to say that ship interior fanatics will also be up in arms when they discover that the toilets flush clockwise instead of counter-clockwise!
Doesn't that depend on northern vs southern hemisphere? In space it would drain straight down, with the exception of on any acceleration vector in any direction.

To put this debate to rest maybe FDEV should communicate with their playerbase/customers - something that every modern tech company does. They will do market research which includes looking at the industry and oh, yes, you guessed it, actually asking what their own customers would like to see in the product.

Old school runescape have this feature INSIDE the game. The devs will post a poll in the game where players go in and respond, all FDEV will need to do is implement a poll in the game (Or spread this poll into the forums, subreddit and main discords) and this poll will have a list of features such as: 1) Base building, 2) Ship interiors, 3) Fully atmospheric worlds etc and players can set their priorities there. Bish bash bosh jobs done, now we know what players want.

Of course we know the real reason that ship interiors aren't coming are the same reason that the 'atmospheric' worlds are pathetic - FDEV don't have the capability. I don't know about you, but when I heard we were getting Atmospheric worlds I expected something more than just the normal horizon's world but with a tinted skybox. There is nothing functionally different between atmospheric worlds and non-atmospheric, no difference to the flight mechanics, no burn on entry, nothing (except for 30 static plant doodads that sit there and do nothing). If I am wrong please let me know.

I think FD made a mistake when one employee recently stated the truth about ship interiors and/or enter/egress of our ships not being a thing due to lack of gameplay, or becoming boring.
That tells me FD is missing a couple of key people from their payroll.
It's not up to me, or any other customer to design engaging gameplay, I pay FD to do that.
It actually explains all the placeholders that have been around since Dec '14, and never improved.

I think FD made a mistake when one employee recently stated the truth about ship interiors and/or enter/egress of our ships not being a thing due to lack of gameplay, or becoming boring.
It's doubly funny when there is a Braben video around where he mention all the thing you could do with ships interiors :)

But well, we know it was an excuse for not having them. Not the actual reasons.

So many want all the answers without why they may not like them.

The Elite games since 1984 were all about using our imaginations. Back then colleges promoted imaginations which is why we have some pretty amazing computers and it took David Braben over three decades to say OK the computer technology came up to speed to work on Elite Dangerous. But a major part of this is your imagination.

No Man's Sky. Probably one of the best walking around in your carrier ship but it is all eye candy having nothing to do with the game.

X4 Foundations. I played the X-games for many years. On the small ships a player can open a door and get into the cockpit. On the large ships a turbo lift transfers you from the cockpit to walking around in a station or other options to other ships you own. Welcome to a concourse in Elite Dangerous doing the same thing but simpler.

None of these games lets you walk around in your current ship. The point is that Elite Dangerous still uses imagination as to what your ship looks like versus a player having graphics which a player won't like. Why? Because we all have our version of what the ship should look like. The Devs are not going to go there.

So enjoy Horizons and Odyssey and have fun with them. Use your imagination as to what your ship interior looks like. With imagination it is perfect for every payer. I do this every night going to sleep after playing ED for hours.

Regards
Customers are letting Frontier know what they want.

I want ship interiors.

I want Frontier to know that. I spent money on Odyssey hoping ship interiors would be part of the package at some point. I'm deeply disappointed they wont be. I'm also super annoyed the much vaunted new ice planet tech isnt in the game, and ice planets continue to be glorified height maps like everything else. Where exactly is this new planet tech?

So yeah. I think its fair to tell a company what we want to spend our money on. if I could spend 40 dollars and get the ship interior expansion? I would do it. 60 and the ship interior expansion? Yes.

I don't care about ship interiors, but then I didn't care about space legs either.
I will say it's kind of funny to have one and not the other.
That’s cos we haven’t got Space Legs.

We’ve got Planet Legs and Station Legs.

We won’t have Space Legs until they do the remaining Legs related Major Expansion that they set out - Ship Legs.

(Terms used are paraphrased for simplicity, but should work sufficiently well for the purposes here.)

A feature that doesn't get boring after a week. ;)
It would for me, considering I don't have VR. In fact, he would get boring even faster
I'd like ship interiors though.

The main difference is that I'm aware others would enjoy that, and as such I hope they make Odyssey for VR.

I told my seven year old son, NO, you cannot have that APP.

Now, all I hear about is what he could do or how cool it would be to have that APP.

Regardless, he must learn that when someone says NO, it means NO.

If he does not learn this now, he will grow up thinking he can have his way all the time, arrogant and self-centered.

He will get over it, and one day, he will grow up having learned the meaning of responsibility and discipline.

Now, all I hear about is what he could do or how cool it would be to have that APP.

If he does not learn this now, he will grow up thinking he can have his way all the time, arrogant, self-centered.

He will get over it, and one day, he will grow up having learned the meaning of responsibility and discipline.
Very touching story, but we are talking about products delivered by a company. And we pay for those products. Just like some people (weirdos IMO) asked for cherry in coca cola, some people ask for ship interiors.
And if you ask me, that's going to be better that cherry cola, no matter what.

If he does not learn this now, he will grow up thinking he can have his way all the time, arrogant and self-centered.

Your analogy would be more apt if you had first told him all the great things about the app and what he'd be able to do with it and charged him for it. 🤪

Actually, he'll probably grow up with a very different view, of how you cruelly stopped him from buying an app & compensate by buying ALL the apps. And still resenting you for it.

Take it from the parent of a teenager about to enter adult years. 🤷‍♀️ :(

Actually, he'll probably grow up with a very different view, of how you cruelly stopped him from buying an app & compensate by buying ALL the apps. And still resenting you for it.

Take it from the parent of a teenager about to enter adult years. 🤷‍♀️ :(
Not true at all. I have three son's. One grew up and became a Doctor and one a Software Development Engineer at Space-X.

Both have repeatedly told me they are extremely thankful for my protecting them from the harm the world has to offer when I said NO to them. Although they did not fully understand at the time, they look back now and realize just how dangerous it would have been for me to have said Yes to some of the things they wanted.

I'm proud of them. Both have grown up to become responsible and caring people, just like my seven year old will. I will take that risk, but time and experience have dictated a different outcome.

You're basically saying "interior = gameplay". That's steaming horse manure and just shows how limited and distorted your idea of gameplay is.
Interior can at most be a prerequisite for gameplay, but that's something else entirely. After all, you don't go claiming to have understood Einstein's theory of relativity after having just understood how to multiply 6 * 8.

What are you on about?

People are basically saying that engaging gameplay can occur in almost limitless settings and backdrops. Ship interiors would be quite an appropriate setting for to-be developed (or expanded) gameplay, this being a space ship game and all.

It's actually all the vehement opposers that seem to be arguing that "good gameplay couldn't ever occur inside space ships – no matter what type, (sub) genre or target group".

Top Bottom