Enough with the posts about ship interiors

So many want all the answers without why they may not like them.

The Elite games since 1984 were all about using our imaginations. Back then colleges promoted imaginations which is why we have some pretty amazing computers and it took David Braben over three decades to say OK the computer technology came up to speed to work on Elite Dangerous. But a major part of this is your imagination.

No Man's Sky. Probably one of the best walking around in your carrier ship but it is all eye candy having nothing to do with the game.

X4 Foundations. I played the X-games for many years. On the small ships a player can open a door and get into the cockpit. On the large ships a turbo lift transfers you from the cockpit to walking around in a station or other options to other ships you own. Welcome to a concourse in Elite Dangerous doing the same thing but simpler.

None of these games lets you walk around in your current ship. The point is that Elite Dangerous still uses imagination as to what your ship looks like versus a player having graphics which a player won't like. Why? Because we all have our version of what the ship should look like. The Devs are not going to go there.

So enjoy Horizons and Odyssey and have fun with them. Use your imagination as to what your ship interior looks like. With imagination it is perfect for every payer. I do this every night going to sleep after playing ED for hours.

Regards

Last edited:
Step 1: People complain enough that it starts to irritate both FDev and those indifferent to interiors
Step 2: People continue to complain after irritating both FDev and those indifferent to interiors
Step 3: FDev announces the next DLC to include ship interiors
Step 4: People complain you have to buy a DLC for ship interiors
Step 5: People complain that FDev didn't do the interiors exactly how they wanted them
Step 6: Revert back to step 1

Step 1: People complain enough that it starts to irritate both FDev and those indifferent to interiors
Step 2: People continue to complain after irritating both FDev and those indifferent to interiors
Step 3: FDev announces the next DLC to include ship interiors
Step 4: People complain you have to buy a DLC for ship interiors
Step 5: People complain that FDev didn't do the interiors exactly how they wanted them
Step 6: Revert back to step 1
I really want to know what forums you've been following, because the way you described it is NEVER how it has ever gone down around here. People are more than willing to buy a DLC if it has features they want.

They complain because more often than not, the DLC is functionally broken on release.

So many want all the answers without why they may not like them.

The Elite games since 1984 were all about using our imaginations. Back then colleges promoted imaginations which is why we have some pretty amazing computers and it took David Braben over three decades to say OK the computer technology came up to speed to work on Elite Dangerous. But a major part of this is your imagination.

No Man's Sky. Probably one of the best walking around in your carrier ship but it is all eye candy having nothing to do with the game.

X4 Foundations. I played the X-games for many years. On the small ships a player can open a door and get into the cockpit. On the large ships a turbo lift transfers you from the cockpit to walking around in a station or other options to other ships you own.

None of these games lets you walk around in your current ship. The point is that Elite Dangerous still uses imagination as to what your ship looks like versus a player having graphics which a player won't like. Why? Because we all have our version of what the ship should look like. The Devs are not going to go there.

So enjoy Horizons and Odyssey and have fun with them. Use your imagination as to what your ship interior looks like. With imagination is it perfect for every payer. I do this every night going to sleep after playing ED for hours.

Regards
Then here's a thought. Stop telling your customer base that you're going to implement features you have no intention of delivering, how about that?

So then, y'know, your paying customers don't feel like you LIED TO THEM.

Then here's a thought. Stop telling your customer base that you're going to implement features you have no intention of delivering, how about that?

So then, y'know, your paying customers don't feel like you LIED TO THEM.
Agreed.

I don't know what motivates these white knights to go to such insane lengths to defend FDev from any and all criticism. They don't gain anything from it, and FDev definitely isn't going to give them special attention for it either.

I just imagine them trying to play EDO, sweat beading on their brow as they stifle their frustration, and keep repeating to themselves "it's working as intended."

If Frontier gives me a bridge on my Fleet Carrier like in the Concourse with people moving around and I can look out several windows I would be content when I'm not too busy killing NPCs.

Agreed.

I don't know what motivates these white knights to go to such insane lengths to defend FDev from any and all criticism. They don't gain anything from it, and FDev definitely isn't going to give them special attention for it either.

I just imagine them trying to play EDO, sweat beading on their brow as they stifle their frustration, and keep repeating to themselves "it's working as intended."

The standard "Anyone who disagrees with me is a White Knight / Shill / Sellout / insert whatever else here" routine, classic. It is simple, things take time to develop, sometimes things dont make it to the end (which yes, does suck, but it is fact of life). Instead of demanding now now now now, how about understand that things such as interiors will be coming. Will they be buggy? Yeah, probably. Will they serve an in game purpose? No, probably not. Will those demanding them be added be happy? I'd put a paycheck it will look like the Odyssey 'the world is ending' fiasco going on now, and the Horizons 'the world is ending' fiasco that happened back then... so doubtful.

If the ship interior threads bother you, can't you just imagine they don't exist? That's the true power of imagination.

Personally, I'm all for them. Frontier said that they'll consider ship interiors if the players "consider them a must". Let's make sure they know that many of us do consider them a must.

The standard "Anyone who disagrees with me is a White Knight / Shill / Sellout / insert whatever else here" routine, classic. It is simple, things take time to develop, sometimes things dont make it to the end (which yes, does suck, but it is fact of life). Instead of demanding now now now now, how about understand that things such as interiors will be coming.
Except... they won’t be. The head CM said so. After the backlash he went on podcasts using corporate speak and said that FDev wants to make sure that there is enough interest, which is bullcrap. The backlash alone to his initial statement is proof enough they are wanted. Oh and let’s not forget advertised as a feature YEARS ago, during the Kickstarter, which is more than enough time.

As for me, I’d be fine with bridge and a cabin for collectibles or something. Also a deck for my fleet carrier so I can watch it go into the warp like Warhammer. Understandably, you won’t please everyone, and I get that. But outright pulling something that people want and was advertised as a feature before the game even became reality is a bit of a shock, and people have every right to be mad. Telling people to sit down, shut up, accept what they have and use their “imagination” is paramount to accepting mediocrity.

I don't believe we can have enough of people expressing their opinions, as long as they are presented rationally.

As to using your imagination, I get your point but who says things have to 'be' a certain way and who says they can't change? Just because we did so well without ship interiors doesn't mean we can't do better or different things with them.

Elite Dangerous has always been about the link or association between a pilot and their ship; what better way to explore that link further or express it in different ways than to get out of your seat and experience the ship. Let's not place limits on our imagination because things have always been a certain way.

Except... they won’t be. The head CM said so. After the backlash he went on podcasts using corporate speak and said that FDev wants to make sure that there is enough interest, which is bullcrap. The backlash alone to his initial statement is proof enough they are wanted. Oh and let’s not forget advertised as a feature YEARS ago, during the Kickstarter, which is more than enough time.

As for me, I’d be fine with bridge and a cabin for collectibles or something. Also a deck for my fleet carrier so I can watch it go into the warp like Warhammer. Understandably, you won’t please everyone, and I get that. But outright pulling something that people want and was advertised as a feature before the game even became reality is a bit of a shock, and people have every right to be mad. Telling people to sit down, shut up, accept what they have and use their “imagination” is paramount to accepting mediocrity.

And look how long it took to get dismounting on foot which was a Kickstart promise. Again, things take time to develop. As is IIRC the people who made the ships are gone, so they are basically going to have to do a full redesign of every ship before touching the interior (let alone modules if they want to go that far - And people are still wanting more ships added right now). People throwing a hissy fit like a child who didn't get a toy from the store aren't going to help anything but put them off from wanting to do it... especially considering the insults they have been receiving from those who didnt get what they wanted before something else. There was a post a few days ago where people were outright encouraging others to review and tag bomb EDO to prevent sales.... what happens when a company doesn't make money? They don't have money to develop new content... There is an active one right now where someone and their "200 friends" think FDev need to just remove Odyssey (which oh boy that would be a fun sight to watch) because they aren't happy with it.

Unless they specified "Never coming to ED at any point in time", it doesn't mean never... even then I can't count the times I have heard a developer say "We will never be adding X or Y" then later on down the road guess what is announced? People need to stop acting on emotion, FDev is a business which relies upon sales and investors. Players going full caveman aren't going to encourage investors to put money in, nor will sitting down and shutting up. There is a fine balance that since the announcement of Odyssey has gone haywire into the realm of demand and entitlement.

Top Bottom