Horizons Entirely FD's fault

So today I read a post that kinda annoyed me, but before I quote it. I'll like to give you a bit of the background to it (without naming or shaming). The quote came from a CMDR who I believe was recently kicked from Mobius for partaking in a little PvP and is what I believe to be his reason for doing it.

So the quote goes as follows:

"Yep, which is entirely FD's fault for trying to please two starkly different crowds with the same game via the multi-moded method they've implemented. It's really on them for attempting that. It was economically driven as they obtained a lot of initial backing from one of those demographics, but they need the other one desperately to survive their planned 10 year run. Bad planning FD."

Now I still don't really get why its FD fault and would love someone to explain it to me.

I strongly suspect nothing good will come of this thread. If as you say, someone infiltrated the barrel to go shooting fish, to punish both the fish and FDEv for having the temerity to enshrine mode-switching and a single BGS... A rational discourse is unlikely.

The CMDR feels entirely justified as a vigilante, the wider community will square up on both sides and forum handbag one another until the mods either lock this or merge it with the MegaThread :/

So, a           got punished for being exactly that, and then cries about it.

how about give proper pvp a try and foght people who want to fight *cough* Open *cough*

and leave those who cherish pve alone, if you hunt the people who create pve groups down to just be a tool you should get booted from more than jusy that one group, thats a whole new level of stupid.

but hey, way to go tainting proper pvpers more...

I believe Winston Churchill said "You can please all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time, but never all of the people all of the time". FDEv are trying to do their best, but they will never manage to please everybody. However, if a person joined a private group with their own group rules, and then that person broke the PG rules, they have nobody to blame but themselves. If I knew that most of the time I was happy to play by those rules, but sometimes I wanted to do something that contravened them, I would either switch to Open on these occasions, or look for another PG that would let me do things the other PG wouldn't.

FDev have wide rules with great boundaries (although it is still possible to break them). PGs may have tighter rules with narrower boundaries. If the person was within the rules FDev had laid down, then it is not the fault of FDev. If the person broke the PG rules, then the person is at fault.

Last edited:
Answering that question needs more context explaining what exactly is supposedly "FD's fault". Getting kicked out of a private group?

I take it to mean that it is both FD's fault for allowing such private groups to exist, so they cannot be blown up for lulz in Open, and FD's fault for not having enough people in Open to blow up for the lulz.

Blowing stuff up for lulz isn't FD's fault though,

Sung to a rather well-known Monty Python song:

I'm a psychopath and I'm OK,
I grief all night and I gank all day
*… what are all you folks with the torches and pitchforks doing here?*
;)

Now, maybe it's FD's fault that they don't punish psychopathic behaviour appropriately, e.g., by making it harder to shrug off bounties or escape the fuzz, and generally promoting thug life as anything but a barrel shoot. We will never know without having a fully self-contained question.

So today I read a post that kinda annoyed me, but before I quote it. I'll like to give you a bit of the background to it (without naming or shaming). The quote came from a CMDR who I believe was recently kicked from Mobius for partaking in a little PvP and is what I believe to be his reason for doing it.

So the quote goes as follows:

"Yep, which is entirely FD's fault for trying to please two starkly different crowds with the same game via the multi-moded method they've implemented. It's really on them for attempting that. It was economically driven as they obtained a lot of initial backing from one of those demographics, but they need the other one desperately to survive their planned 10 year run. Bad planning FD."

Now I still don't really get why its FD fault and would love someone to explain it to me.
I am confused, person joined Mobius, didn't obey rules of the private group and got kicked? how is FD to blame for that at all? FD has nothing to do with the Mobius group it is entirely player created, sounds like the person didn't seem to like what others have created, so he could simply not join it? so yeah, how is anyone but that person to blame? FD is most definitely not, Mobius has clearly defined what they are about, so yeah...

I am confused, person joined Mobius, didn't obey rules of the private group and got kicked? how is FD to blame for that at all? FD has nothing to do with the Mobius group it is entirely player created, sounds like the person didn't seem to like what others have created, so he could simply not join it? so yeah, how is anyone but that person to blame? FD is most definitely not, Mobius has clearly defined what they are about, so yeah...
it just shows how weak someone is by blaming someone else, while he is clearly at fault here.

Answering that question needs more context explaining what exactly is supposedly "FD's fault". Getting kicked out of a private group?

Sorry I should of pointed out that the CMDR in question. Had no problem with being kicked from Möbius as he agreed that he broke the groups rules. What I'm trying to understand is why it's FDs fault for him going into möbius to partake in PVP....

Is it possible to have a link to the post (so we have the global context) ?

I was going to link to the post when I first started to write this thread. But decided agenst it as this might lead to naming and shaming and I don't actually have a problem with this CMDR. I just don't understand his reasoning.

I am going to use a very scruffy analogy here, so please bear with me. Imagine I want to be able to punch somebody on a regular basis. Society will not let me do this. I decide to take up boxing, and join a boxing club. I get trained in boxing, and I am getting good at it, to the point I am getting bored. I decide to try something different while at the boxing club, and, while sparring, I manage a roundhouse kick and knock out my sparring partner, and then get thrown out of the club. OK, the club was perfectly within its rights to eject me, and I have no problem with that, but how is it Society's' fault? What I should have done is to join a Kick Boxing club to allow me to practise my roundhouse kicks.

Yaffle

Volunteer Moderator
I believe Winston Churchill said "You can please all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time, but never all of the people all of the time".

It was John Lydgate, but often attributed to Abraham Lincoln. Seeing as Lydgate predated Abe by a few hundred years, I'd go with him.

Oh, we seem to be off topic.

So, this for me is no more FD's fault than Gaston Glock's fault that there are mass shootings from time to time.

It was John Lydgate, but often attributed to Abraham Lincoln. Seeing as Lydgate predated Abe by a few hundred years, I'd go with him.

Oh, we seem to be off topic.

So, this for me is no more FD's fault than Gaston Glock's fault that there are mass shootings from time to time.

Thanks for correcting me, it is appreciated.

I am going to use a very scruffy analogy here, so please bear with me. Imagine I want to be able to punch somebody on a regular basis. Society will not let me do this. I decide to take up boxing, and join a boxing club. I get trained in boxing, and I am getting good at it, to the point I am getting bored. I decide to try something different while at the boxing club, and, while sparring, I manage a roundhouse kick and knock out my sparring partner, and then get thrown out of the club. OK, the club was perfectly within its rights to eject me, and I have no problem with that, but how is it Society's' fault? What I should have done is to join a Kick Boxing club to allow me to practise my roundhouse kicks.

Mmmmm I like your analogy, but are you suggesting that its society's fault for not pointing you in the direction of a kickboxing club to start with?

Top Bottom