Epic Games Accounts - Rules & Considerations

Hello everyone! I'll try to keep this straight forward, short and sweet. I've done experimenting with the new Epic Games store and will now share with you some rules and tips so you can avoid wasting your time during account setup.

EPIC STORE RULES.png

EPIC STORE LOGIN PROCESS.png

Rules for Elite accounts obtained via Epic Games Store:
  • Linking your copy of Elite purchased/obtained on the Epic Store to an existing PC account will result in your Epic account using the same CMDR from that account. This means that once the copy of Elite on Epic is no longer free, linking to a Frontier account with an established CMDR will waste your money and Epic account.
  • Epic Elite accounts can only be played via the Epic launcher. They are not playable via the Standard or Steam launchers.
  • If you create multiple Epic accounts and obtain a copy of Elite on each one, your Epic Games client must be logged into the purchasing Epic account in order to play the desired copy of the game. You can not simply log in to the alternate Epic account within the epic launcher.
  • When launching Elite from the Epic launcher after account linking has been completed; the launcher will automatically log in to the Frontier/Elite account associated with that epic account.
  • The Epic store version of the Elite launcher does allow you to log into your Standard or Steam purchased accounts after logging out of the auto-logged in Epic account.
  • The Epic install uses the same bindings, settings and control maps as the Standard and Steam installations of the Elite client as they are stored in your windows profile and not the installation folders. No configuration will be required for your alt accounts.

The above "rules" for the Epic store version of Elite were determined after establishing a new alt on my already existing epic account, creating a new epic account linked to a new gmail account for an intentional alt and creating a new epic account linked to the same email as my main account then linking that free copy to my main Frontier account.

Enjoy your free alts everyone!

EDIT @frontier: With how "exclusive" the Epic accounts for Elite are configured; I don't understand why this doesn't work the same as linking a PS4/XBox account to an established PC account. On my PS4 alt, which is linked to the same Frontier account as my main PC account I play a CMDR dedicated to that console. While playing in the same game world as my main PC account is a given; the account linking should work by using a different CMDR than the standard... At least that's the only way I can see avoiding the issue of refunds from accidental links of Epic accounts to established CMDR's when people inevitably use this as a means to procure alts after it is no longer free.

Last edited:
Remember, there is a known issue currently with linking Epic accounts to Frontier accounts. Not sure if it effects everyone but it does me currently. I set up a NEW Epic account (my only one) and a NEW Frontier Account (my second one, different email though) and went through the process. Despite my new Frontier account being full and valid - I can log into it on the website and check my details - the part that was supposed to link it to my Epic Account has failed. So, the Launcher won't let me run the game.

Like I said, FDev are aware of this so hopefully it'll be fixed soon.

Scoob.

Remember, there is a known issue currently with linking Epic accounts to Frontier accounts. Not sure if it effects everyone but it does me currently. I set up a NEW Epic account (my only one) and a NEW Frontier Account (my second one, different email though) and went through the process. Despite my new Frontier account being full and valid - I can log into it on the website and check my details - the part that was supposed to link it to my Epic Account has failed. So, the Launcher won't let me run the game.

Like I said, FDev are aware of this so hopefully it'll be fixed soon.

Scoob.

I had the same problem a few times when doing my testing where my Epic account would not link when I was working on my initial free Elite account with my already established and in use epic store account. Eventually it worked, then the game stopped recognizing I had it redeemed, and then worked again. I then had the same problem with linking on the second account as well - and even a complete failure for it to prompt me that I needed to link the 2nd epic account when starting the Elite launcher via Epic. This also sorted itself out on its own after many attempts.

I didn't have any issues linking the third epic account to my existing main Frontier account at all.

Perhaps they've resolved the issues now? I've not tried in a little while, might do again later.

Scoob.

Guys, you must install the game a second time? If so, have you noticed any issues in the hotkey mapping?

Perhaps they've resolved the issues now? I've not tried in a little while, might do again later.

Scoob.
Most likely. They haven't tweeted it's resolved yet but the timeline of my testing indicates that things have been going up and down as they work to resolve. Thankfully during this process none of the failures to complete the process actually prevented me from completing it once it worked so doing it when it is fixed should be fine.

Aww that sucks.

Well i already have 3 classic accounts and one nice frontier launcher to use them all.. consciously not bought any more steam ones specifically because of the authentication so unlikely i'll use the egs one.

Makes sense sure, if epic don't mandate their game store is front and center when giving things away for free whats in it for them.

I have three accounts. A fourth one will result in Quadrophenia. :)

LOL. I'm up to 5 or 6 now...

Aww that sucks.

Well i already have 3 classic accounts and one nice frontier launcher to use them all.. consciously not bought any more steam ones specifically because of the authentication so unlikely i'll use the egs one.

Makes sense sure, if epic don't mandate their game store is front and center when giving things away for free whats in it for them.

yeah, only reason for them to do such a promotion with no income is to get users into their app. Letting us use the free copy without their app would defeat that purpose

Is there a crossplay between Epic and Steam accounts?
Yes. Though technically it’s not cross play. Cross play defines playing between platforms that are otherwise isolated from each other. There’s no such considerations for elite on pc.

I also linked my epic game account but I already had elite dangerous arena. So when I launch it via epic game I only have access to arena ...

so, how do I run the normal version of elite dangerous?

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2020-11-20 001349.png
    Capture d’écran 2020-11-20 001349.png
    349.9 KB · Views: 201
Created a new frontier account with a new email.

Installed ED through epic.

Ran the game through Epic.

Linked my epic account to frontier.

Played game.

It worked perfectly.

Top Bottom