Epic Store BUYS Psyonix, Rocket League Developers, Will Remove Rocket League From Steam

Also, if you go to Rocket League's page on Steam and go to View Discussions .... they must have deleted EVERY thread.

Defualts to a landing page not the general discussions which is still there and has a lot of criticism of Epics move

Oh well, people will keep putting the EGS on a pedestal, and others were probably use this as fuel for their tin foil hat campaign. What does concern me though.. did Rocket League use Steamplay or its own network implementation for matchmaking? Because it is an interesting question what happens if or rather when Epic removes it. Does that mean the epic version can't crossplay with steam? Will they change it across the board to make it compatible? It is the same set of questions I had with BL3 fragmenting over multiple stores.

Won't be buying any epic games. Well, Forever. Besides, the main games they have I'll never get any ways.
Fortnite? I don't play kiddie games. So lame.

Last edited:
I'm old and I own enough standalone games for more than a lifetime. Whatever shenanigans these services pull - it only affects how my wallet works.
Yes, many people I know have the same approach to environmental issues. "It doesn't concern me therefore it's not a problem"
Why are you in this thread?

So it moves away from Steam, The Store Formerly Known As Gaben's Hive Of Scum And Villainy?

Seriously, what's the problem, it's not like Steam is the good guy, just that they were the only guy for far too long and failed to see the writing on the wall and in the sky.

How will matchmaking work? Two separate networks? Or doesn't it matter?
That's the one concern that really needs to be addressed in general. There are already games sold, e.g., on Steam and GOG that aren't interoperable (No Man's Sky is or at least was an example, don't know if they fixed it). Games not being "cross-play" between storefronts is bound to become a plague. In particular though, isn't RL already cross-play between all major platforms?

Yes, many people I know have the same approach to environmental issues. "It doesn't concern me therefore it's not a problem"
Why are you in this thread?
The fact, that every single title now gets announced with its own thread just for getting move to some obscure digital storefront. Rocket League isn't even a new game or PC-exclusive. That's why my question was ironically phrased "What is...?" I'm still waiting for a game changer like Half-Life 2, which turned physical distribution to digital on PC. Something like this would justify a thread.

The fact, that every single title now gets announced with its own thread just for getting move to some obscure digital storefront. Rocket League isn't even a new game or PC-exclusive. That's why my question was ironically phrased "What is...?" I'm still waiting for a game changer like Half-Life 2, which turned physical distribution to digital on PC. Something like this would justify a thread.
If you think Rocket League isn't as big as Half Life 2 was in its prime ... then you really are out of touch with gaming.
That a games publisher went to the extreme of buying an entire studio to get one of the most popular games on Steam, their hated rival, to be exclusive to their platform .... and you just dismiss it as nothing?

I'll throw a "what if" into this discussion .... how are you going to react when Frontier announce all their games will now be exclusive to the Epic Games Store because Epic bought Frontier Developments?

Rocket League is fairly big in the E-Sports circle, albeit for PC only iirc. Epic may have purchased more than a dev studio. 🤑

Ooooh, popcorn time!

It is quite amazing how Epic have grown and seemingly gone from strength to strength. Even more interesting how they are now in a position to seriously ruffle some feathers.

I don't care too much about Steam losing business. Its had its time in the sun, became fat and complacent, and there is a new boy in town, who also has one of the most popular games of the time as its flagship (Fortnite).

Personally, i really really don't like all these combined launchers and always prefered games and apps that launch independently. I don't really care about their common hubs and services. I really don't like most "value add" services that are provided and don't use them.

So, as far as i'm concerened, they can all go to hell.

Now get off my lawn!

Epic ... failure.

No matter how many games Epic buys out for their platform, i will stick to my Steam account, i've had Origin when it was new, i've had that UPlay (thing), and some other stores,
and you know what, i hated it. I would like just one launcher and even if i didn't use it for a couple of years, eventually i would like to come back to find everything how i left it. I very much appreciate the games layout on Steam, the Cloud saves, the permanent library. I remember going back to Origin after a few years just to find nothing worked like it used to, so basically was a waste of my money.

Ooooh, popcorn time!

It is quite amazing how Epic have grown and seemingly gone from strength to strength. Even more interesting how they are now in a position to seriously ruffle some feathers.

I don't care too much about Steam losing business. Its had its time in the sun, became fat and complacent, and there is a new boy in town, who also has one of the most popular games of the time as its flagship (Fortnite).
There is a saying - "Better the devil you know, than the devil you don't". I was not a fan of Steam at first, I really disliked it. Yet I've grown to accept that Steam is not as bad as I thought, and actually makes things convenient, but I speak from a game player's point of view, not a developer's point of view.

I see Epic as a new kid on the block trying to bully everyone into giving their lunch money over. They had success with a game that is a mindless piece of rubbish. There is no thought or skill required, it's just whether you get lucky or not. Then everyone started playing it because everyone was playing it. They made more money than they deserved to and now they decided to set up a games store to rival Steam. There's nothing wrong with that, competition is always healthy, but Epic isn't focusing on making their store better than Steam's. They aren't convincing developers to put their games on their store because of the better revenue split. They aren't providing a better customer experience than Steam.

No, Epic are forcing their way in, literally buying developers, who think the short-term cash is a good thing, but don't consider, or care, that gamers have long long memories, and won't buy that studio's games ever again. Think I'm talking rubbish here? When the Godus kickstarter was running in 2012, I remember people warning us about Peter Molynuex and his reputation when it came to games. And they were 100% right. Epic, and Tim Sweeney specifically, have stated they don't give a fig about customers and what they want. The only thing Epic care about is being the only dog in the yard.

Anyone who either supports Epic, or doesn't care .... I hope it never gets to the situation where you will regret it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom