Erm, where's the Rename Ship option gone?

Thanks @Stephen Benedetti :)

I'm not very inventive with ship names, but I still welcome the rename ability. My Anaconda being stuck as "PassengerConda" when I've changed the loadout irks me lol. Thankfully, my DBX "Mr. Jumpy" (guess what it's good at? lol) and my Corvette "Federal Courgette" (that amuses me immensely for some reason) are still good. I admit that some of my lesser used ships still have gasp the default name.

Scoob.

Haha, ‘Federal Courgette’ that’s awesome!

How about a vegetarian fleet?!

It looks to me that the problem might be in the Frontier Store: you can't buy ship nameplates at present, and that may be telling the game that ship naming is not currently an option.
I'd think it more likely the other way around; nameplates purchases may have been removed while this bug is around so that new players don't buy plates then bombard Support with "it no worky" complaints because they just paid for something broken.

Either way I really hope FD give us a reasonably detailed explanation as to what's happened here. I have a fairly broad, if not deep, grasp on how the client / server relationships work in ED but I'm stumped if I can figure out what might have happened here. I can't understand how a server-side issue (which it must be, since nobody has received client updates) can cause clients to stop offering certain UI options unless that functionality was built in and has been accidentally triggered. And if it's built in, why?

I wonder if this is a throwback to when FD first announced that we'd be unable to rename our ships unless we bought nameplates, then backtracked following the backlash and claimed it was a misunderstanding? Might they genuinely have intended ship naming to be a pay-only feature, and the unused legacy code has been accidentally unleashed? Hell, maybe CMDR Wotherspoon's theory is right and the store has broken the clients!

Curiosity... building...

I wonder if this is a throwback to when FD first announced that we'd be unable to rename our ships unless we bought nameplates, then backtracked following the backlash and claimed it was a misunderstanding? Might they genuinely have intended ship naming to be a pay-only feature, and the unused legacy code has been accidentally unleashed? Hell, maybe CMDR Wotherspoon's theory is right and the store has broken the clients!

Curiosity... building...

This is an interesting idea. I have bought some nameplates in the past and have ship naming accessible in game. Is the "ship naming disabled" issue limited to players who didn't buy any nameplates?

Just noticed i had the same the issue, it happened after last nights server maintenance as it was working for me yesterday 30 minutes before shutdown.

Made a speed run in my DBX from the bubble (system next to farseeker inc) to witch head in about 24 minutes after buying a bigger transport for these amazing station rescue missions (by far the best mission I have played in the game btw, great job fdev!) I wish there was a rescue / Red Cross decal!). Wanted to get there before the server shutdown so I could ship the transport via ship transfer (not flying that brick the 800+ ly). Made it to the station and docked with the 1 minute to shutdown warning popping as I got into the ships menu and was able to ship it and log with about 30 seconds to go. Didn’t have time to edit the new ships name after buying it so I went to try this morning and noticed the option was now gone. Not sure if it was related to logging last minute before the shutdown (probably not) as it seems some people are affected and others are not.

Anyway, as the mod posted it looks like it will be fixed soon.

It's not fixed for me. I'm still docked at Cooper Hub in Kamadhenu as Governor Ortega called me, asking not to leave the station untill the ships name was changed.

Never change a ship's name. No exceptions. Sell it and buy another just like it. Name that one, once.

You have been warned.

The 10% hit will cost you less in the end. Otherwise, you're doomed.

Same goes for bananas. Don't carry bananas onboard. You have been warned, a second time.

As a side note I got myself on the local bounty board yesterday (I don't normally poop where I sleep) and noticed my ship name was all lower case, but that some others on the board were ALL CAPS and some were Capitalised. So even though the ship renaming dialogue box is ALL CAPS I renamed my ship so it was Capitalised. I wouldn't want any bounty hunters thinking I was uncouth ;)

Well that's lovely, the issue is back for me!

I just docked at Shinrarta Dezhra after some time away mining, and I cannot rename my Cutter again.

So, to be clear, the issue was fixed when I posted that it was yesterday evening - I renamed my Cutter just fine - now I cannot rename it again and the entire "A-Z" tab is blank once more.

@Stephen Benedetti - are you able to flag this as unfixed? :)

Edit: And it's back again! When I landed I tried both ways of changing the ship name, directly from "Livery" and via Outfitting > Livery - neither worked. Now the Outfitting way is working again, as is the Livery way. I'm still at the same station. Intermittent issue now perhaps, or just super-quick fix? :)

Scoob.

Last edited:
I started playing on PS4 late July. I still have this issue and it's persistent, before July 31 I named my first 2 ships just fine, on the 31st I brought a new ship that has this issue and now the A-Z tab is empty for all 3 of them and have yet to return.

Yesterday I brought another one and the name option was there! But today it's gone lol

Top Bottom