Escaping animals since the new patch

Since the patch 1.0.3. one of my african wild dog puppies can jump and escape just through a closed fence. This never happened before the patch.
Some other animals escape as well now, although they did not before and in fact they should not, but they jump right through the fence or glass.
Made my savegame unplayable as the animals keep escaping...

well, thats the approx. 524th thread about this issue, why using the search function?
Well, the only recent thread about espacing animals I can find is about the "Lemurs walk through walls" and no 524 other recent threads, the other threads are few weeks old and were before the new patch and the new problems.

That animal in your screenshot is a juvenile animal, I saw that happen before any of the patches were released and there were a couple of bug reports about it. My theory is that any enrichment item, hard shelter and I`ll include the water here that touches the barrier then can have its active area (required for animal interaction) appear outside of the barrier and so smaller juvenile animals can suddenly appear the other side, maybe because they have a smaller body positioning calculation. However I did see it happen once with an adult Crocodile also.
Each time I saw it happen I made sure the hard shelters and enrichment items were slightly further away from the barrier. In your case I couldnt see anything directly in the screenshot but that sleeping area is close to the barrier further away, any other enrichment items close to the barrier?

Last edited:
That animal in your screenshot is a juvenile animal, I saw that happen before any of the patches were released and there were a couple of bug reports about it. My theory is that any enrichment item, hard shelter and I`ll include the water here that touches the barrier then can have its active area (required for animal interaction) appear outside of the barrier and so smaller juvenile animals can suddenly appear the other side, maybe because they have a smaller body positioning calculation. However I did see it happen once with an adult Crocodile also.
Each time I saw it happen I made sure the hard shelters and enrichment items were slightly further away from the barrier. In your case I couldnt see anything directly in the screenshot but that sleeping area is close to the barrier further away, any other enrichment items close to the barrier?
Actually I was watching best in slots latest video about his campaign challenge and his elephant also just walked right out of the enclosure. I believe it was also right after the update as he was surprised about the “is about to mate” messages. I first thought the barrier wasn’t strong enough but this post (and the fact that the elephant didn’t escape in the previous video, especially when animals will escape if they can even when it’s in some far away corner they’ll never go to after fixing the fence) makes me think there might be a new bug.

I use mostly glass on the front of every habitat. The visitors love it. And until now it has only broken once.

Last edited:
I use mostly glass on the front of every habitat. The visitors love it. And until now it has only broken once.
It has nothing to do that the barriers are broken. Some animals now just can walk right through intact barriers. This happened in my zoo just after the patch 1.0.3.
Everything was fine before, except that some small animals like red pandas or lemurs disappeared unter the ground and "escaped" or they climbed onto a tree and the game thinks they have escaped.

Is it always in the same spot? Would be interesting to see if those enrichment items close to the barrier are involved. I would move them further away to test the theory.
My experience after the latest patch is that it has nothing to do with enrichment items being "too" close. Before the patch replacing these items was a success, but no more.

My experience after the latest patch is that it has nothing to do with enrichment items being "too" close. Before the patch replacing these items was a success, but no more.

Yes, agreed. I have this happening equal amounts at spots without any enrichment items nearby...

I once also had the escape problem (I think after first patch). The escaper always was the same ostrich who walked through glas. After I had sold him problem was solved. So maybe check that out until next patch is shipping.

In my zoo it's new and old animals alike escaping non stop. So unless I sell them all and start fresh there is no way for me to confirm this...

I noticed with my African Elephants that they will walk through a brick fence after I adjust it (after the last update). The habitat needed to be bigger, so I paused the game, made it bigger and unpaused it. One of my adult elephants literally ran to the part of the fence I had adjusted and just went through it as if there was no fence. It wasn't a broken fence either and no baby animal, just as if it ran through a ghost fence.
I already had the Elephant before the update and every time I adjust their fence, at least 1 will run to it and escape.

I noticed with my African Elephants that they will walk through a brick fence after I adjust it (after the last update). The habitat needed to be bigger, so I paused the game, made it bigger and unpaused it. One of my adult elephants literally ran to the part of the fence I had adjusted and just went through it as if there was no fence. It wasn't a broken fence either and no baby animal, just as if it ran through a ghost fence.
I already had the Elephant before the update and every time I adjust their fence, at least 1 will run to it and escape.

The only thing I could do to continue enjoying Planet Zoo at the moment, is start a new zoo. My old savegame is not playable 'till they patch the patch.

The only thing I could do to continue enjoying Planet Zoo at the moment, is start a new zoo. My old savegame is not playable 'till they patch the patch.

Does it happen multiple times in your game? In my game, I just have to capture the Elephant, put it back in his habitat and he won't do it again until I try to adjust the barrier again.

Does it happen multiple times in your game? In my game, I just have to capture the Elephant, put it back in his habitat and he won't do it again until I try to adjust the barrier again.
Well yes, It happens non stop, if I let the game run 30 seconds on normal speed at least one animal escapes... Causing a huge panic everytime, so I cannot afford to continue playing, I'll be bankrupt in no time...

Well yes, It happens non stop, if I let the game run 30 seconds on normal speed at least one animal escapes... Causing a huge panic everytime, so I cannot afford to continue playing, I'll be bankrupt in no time...

Damn yeah that sucks. Guess I'm just lucky it doesn't happen often. I hope it get fixed soon!

Top Bottom