Ethics in a Literal Video Game

What rules do you hold yourself to in Elite Dangerous?

I'll start:
  • No trade in majority-illegal commodities like narcotics, slaves, etc. (stuff like animal meat or liquor is fair game)
  • No assault on Clean ships
  • Answer all detected distress calls to the best of your ability
  • Always donate to factions in Outbreak or Famine, regardless of their own ethical status
  • Don't be a jerk

'None' isn't an acceptable answer, because the Universal Rule is 'do what I find fun'.

What rules do you hold yourself to in Elite Dangerous?

I'll start:
  • No trade in majority-illegal commodities like narcotics, slaves, etc. (stuff like animal meat or liquor is fair game)
  • No assault on Clean ships
  • Answer all detected distress calls to the best of your ability
  • Always donate to factions in Outbreak or Famine, regardless of their own ethical status
  • Don't be a jerk
'None' isn't an acceptable answer, because the Universal Rule is 'do what I find fun'.
I've never had a slave on board as cargo but I will deal drugs till the cows come home

I traffic in empire slaves, but not plain old slaves. Dicey at best, I'm sure.

I have killed a few clean ships that were assassination targets. As you are well aware, clean is a matter of perspective--what is clean in the Empire is not necessarily clean in Fed Space, etc. These few that I killed were clean in their respective systems but had rap sheets longer than my arm.

I have killed a number of bounty hunters that came after me as a result of those "clean" hits. Those ships were truly clean, but they fired first.

Don't get me started about the short time I did power play. Suffice to say it was rather violent.

All of this I blame on the game. I'll note that I've yet to kill anyone in American Truck Simulator, despite my best efforts, so it can be done.

I try to stick to the “lawful good” approach, at least with regards to the faction and superpower I’m loyal to. I won’t kill civilians or ships that aren’t wanted (though there have been lapses). I will kill any wanted NPCs that interdict me, regardless of how much my ship may outclass them (popping Harmless Eagles in my Battleconda, for example). If they cross me, they brought it on themselves, no second chances.

I’ve been known to donate to systems in distress, but these days I rarely check the mission board in the first place. I don’t deal in slaves of any sort, and I frown upon drug transport jobs (only doing them if in a pinch, like if I need EFC and there’s no other job offering them and it helps my faction immensely). I’d love to answer distress calls, but I rarely have the limpets necessary on hand, so I ignore them. I always try to protect all the miners in a given HazRES.

I also won’t attack players, no matter the reason. I’m not here to play competitively. I’ll help them out/wing up by request, unless it involves PvP. Otherwise I pretty much keep to myself.

Only thing I haven't done yet is killing civilians. Smuggling, sabotage, slave trade. It's all cash. And if it's not cash, it's fun.

Top Bottom