Ethics in a Literal Video Game

I try to role play the good guy in Elite and agree with your first two ideals. This is basically to try and escape, my sociolpathic serial killer, real life existence. That said; I do feed humans (escape pods and Imps) to the Thargoids; but that is just to keep them happy.
Arry! Noooooooooo! :eek:

I will only trade in things that are legal (somewhere in the galaxy).
I won't do massacre civilians missions, would need a compelling reason to massacre military (partly because massacre has a lot of bad connotations but also it might be dangerous).
I am not an assassin.
I don't carry slaves, or those in indentured servitude.
I don't carry passengers because they are so annoying I might end up breaking one of the three above.

Those are mostly guide lines than rules except for don't get caught.

Can anyone else see the weird stuff, between posts 13,14 and 15?

Yeah, that's Zalgofont. You can find a generator online at
I̹̻̩̺̦͞'͔̙͠m̡͍̻̭ ͈̟͖͕R̢̝̪̝É͈̞L̶͇̖͔S̯̭̞͎͕͟P̙Į̣̖͍̭̮̹̭!̨̻͉̱͔̩͖̤

I actually created background for my character when started playing the game.
He is an Imperial, although born to Imperial slaves - poor family that sold themselves into servitude.
Therefore he hates slavery and will be actively opposing it, trying to liberate any slaves he can, if possible.
(I do it by dropping slave cargo pods at some planetary outpost and paying fine for littering)

Other than that I'm reasonable. I will trade in anything other than slaves unless I'll feel that's seriously immoral.
Been smuggling marijuana into Sol at some point for quite a while.
I don't attack other pilots, unless attacked, or bounty hunting. Will not take mission to kill civilians, or something like that.
I can't convince myself to shoot Thargoids, because I'm not sure they're not just defending themselves.

Yay, I'm not the only one!

I really can't figure out if we are the aggressors or they are....I refuse to shoot at them until I can resolve this.
Have you ever played Frontier: First Encounters? You could talk to the Thargoids and get a Thargoid ship in that!
That's literally the only solid grounds I have for not shooting them.

I think the worst thing about Elite is that freeing slaves gives them even less hope than it would here. The galaxy is so vast that the chances of finding their way back to whatever they had before their internment is... worryingly low.
I do think the ability to turn over illegal commodities to the authorities should be implemented, though.
Is the acronym for Amnesty Interstellar AMNI, to avoid being called ED Amin?

.__.

A solution to the moral dilemma about attacking other ships is to always fit strong shields and be prepared to defend yourself when attacked.

The new size 1 slot is very helpful in this as you can fit a cargo rack with gold or meta alloy or whatever to ensure you get to defend yourself.

I did not, I totally missed it's existance even until I played this game. I played the original Elite, but there was a period in the 90's where I wasn't gaming at all, too busy with college and work (to pay for college).

I wasn't even alive in the 90s, but my unending flair for being a massive hipster nerd led me to play it.
It's really quite fun! It's also the game which introduced INRA, and Elite Dangerous canonically follows on from the path where you help INRA bio-bomb the Thargoids (obviously with several tweaks).

Top Bottom