Etiquette? What etiquette?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
- will have to take that out on the ship's cat instead of the initial reason for the post..

At least we agree on this point ;)

Hey leave the cat alone, unless it's got nine tails of course, then you can flog yourself silly as much as you want, I'm certainly not going to get between a man and his cat in those circumstances!

Hi Cmdr's
Just me, (except the last bit).
I've been lucky enough to have enjoyed DW's 1 and 2. At some point last year, before DW2 started, I, and a very Elite bunch of who I now consider friends here were out on the year long DECE expedition. I myself travelled around 600,000LY on or around the rim on that trip and on one of the fortnightly live talk shows I described myself as a space tourist, because, despite the distances I've travelled, places I have been, it's exactly what I am. I'm out there just to see the sights, sit there in awe at all the incredibly impressive sights out there, that's it. The DECE was a year long trip, and as I said on the show, I still would have done it if there was no rewards from it whatsoever, I went, as I also said on the show, simply because it was there.
(Last bit) There are tags of mine left all around the rim of the Galaxy, obviously I tagged anything of value, leaving a few WW's in some ELW systems, (which up to this point only 1 of which has been tagged), but as anyone who stumbles across those systems will find, 99% of them have bodies left for anyone who see's fit to tag also.
Despite what some people may say here, there did exist an explorers etiquette to be found in the earlier generations of explorers here, which seemed to especially apply when you were at some far flung places. Out on the rim on the DECE, it was always a joy to come across systems tagged by Cmdr's I've met here, with the bodies left for me to tag also, we even set up a few mass tag systems for us all on the trip to drop by and tag a body there, and even some that were not on the trip that asked if they could come and tag there, and were always welcome to do so.
Now the FSS has greatly changed the way we all go about things, and made it no real effort at all to tag the whole system, which sucks IMHO, if you wanted to tag that AW 345k LS out, cranking your ship around and getting your boot on the floor for 15 mins was more worthy of the tag.
Anyways, the OP's comment holds water here, despite anyone's opinions one way or the other, it did exist, and he just wonders what happened to it, the FSS basically, and the ever present obsessive, compulsive scanners, OCSers, (feel free with some colourful pronunciations there) :cool:, who I've no doubt will all enjoy the countless systems that I've left out there with only the Primary, or since the arrival of the FSS, all Stars, GG's and nearby bodies scanned, damn those space tourists.

Shades out o7.

Last edited:
Now the FSS has greatly changed the way we all go about things, and made it no real effort at all to tag the whole system, which sucks IMHO, if you wanted to tag that AW 345k LS out, cranking your ship around and getting your boot on the floor for 15 mins was more worthy of the tag.
The stupid thing is that the game does not differentiate pre FSS tags & FSS tags.
Now in the FSS era, mapped is tagged.

The stupid thing is that the game does not differentiate pre FSS tags & FSS tags.
Now in the FSS era, mapped is tagged.

For the record, except for one system where I tested the FSS, if I've tagged it, I was there. Actually even more so now, since I'm tagging things at 25Ls, rather than the hundreds/thousands that my long range DSS used to give me.

I rarely map anything, unless I'm looking for biologicals, but mostly I can't even be bothered to do that.

Now I'm off to fly 300,000 Ls to fully scan HD 308something-or-other :D

I rarely map anything, unless I'm looking for biologicals, but mostly I can't even be bothered to do that.

Added emphasis to that last part. You and me both. It makes me sad, but I hardly ever look at the surface signals in the FSS, since they take forever to resolve, and it's not worth letting the scan complete in the background, since there's no easy in-game way to keep track of which bodies had surface POIs.

Now, NSPs are another matter. I'm always on the lookout for their signals in the FSS graph. Although I never see any, anymore.

Guess I'm one of those "scan everything." Course, I have been doing that since I started in Exploration. But with the new FSS, its just that much easier to "Scan Everything" without having to travel the long distances to them. If I want to leave my mark in a system, there is always the first mapped tag now.

I have my own etiquette rules now, if a system is tagged already, and I want to leave a calling card, if there is an open unmapped planet, then I will map just one planet and leave all the rest. Rule of thumb is I will go for the high paying ones first if they are available, terra HMC, water worlds and the like, otherwise will pick the closest unmapped object and map it, then move on. But if its a 'Virgin' system, then I will pick and choose which ones I want to map or map the entire system if I am shooting to get the highest payout up, currently my highest is just over 16 mil. But mostly will just map the high paying terra worlds

Funny to come across this thread as I been finding quite a few systems that look like this on the way back home........ o_O

Wow, blast from the past.. 27 Dec 2015 according to my records.. Glad someone has come across something I scanned but this ain't no edge of the rim system.

Wow, blast from the past.. 27 Dec 2015 according to my records.. Glad someone has come across something I scanned but this ain't no edge of the rim system.

Well, it is on the way back from the rim out there. I went by on the way back from Beagle and Semotus Beacon after DW2. Though I concur with you on finding "Alitnil was here" signs all over the outter rim extreme systems! :censored: :(

Have the discovery names decay after 24 months and finally disappear.
That way other people can have the honor long after the original players have quit.

Have the discovery names decay after 24 months and finally disappear.
That way other people can have the honor long after the original players have quit.

If I didn't know you were trolling, I'd say that's the most idiotic idea I've ever read on these forums, but.......yeah, you're trolling! :whistle::LOL:

If I didn't know you were trolling, I'd say that's the most idiotic idea I've ever read on these forums, but.......yeah, you're trolling! :whistle::LOL:
I don't troll.
I do toss around ideas, sometimes silly ideas, as variations have a tendency to produce good ideas.

For example, what if 12 months after the last time a commander logged into the game anything with his name on it would be reset?
It wouldn't matter for someone who is no longer playing the game and this would open up opportunities for new players.

I think for a lot of players, part of the incentive to explore over long distances in the first place is the fact that your name can be permanently attached to the things you find. That's part of the appeal. Take that away, and I think there would be a lot fewer explorers.

I think for a lot of players, part of the incentive to explore over long distances in the first place is the fact that your name can be permanently attached to the things you find. That's part of the appeal. Take that away, and I think there would be a lot fewer explorers.
I'm sure that is true.... but important a year after they left the game?

Why stop there? Delete their account if they don't log in for a year. That'll teach them.
It seems odd to me to cast this as a punitive action.

The idea I've presented directly addresses the concerns expressed in this thread.
Some of these games go on for decades and I don't see why someone who quit playing 10 years ago should care about his name on a ball of ice in a universe he has long since forgotten about. I've played, and subsequently quit, dozens of games over the years and about 10 minutes after I leave I don't care if the title shuts down - much less whether or not my name remains on an asset. A year, two years - whatever, that is plenty of time to decide to return to the game and reset the timer.

People who leave the game aren't going to care.
People who stay with the game will care, but aren't threatened by the policy.
People new to the game will care.

^--- Looks like we're checking all the right boxes there.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom