Etiquette? What etiquette?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
What if those commanders that left the game for whatever reason, come back only to find their discoveries gone? Have you ever left a game, and then come back years later? I know it happened to me in WoW where I played through the first 3 expansions, left for 3 years, then came back. If they had deleted my main, and all the achievements, including server first kills I'd never even considered going back. That whole argument you make about "meeting them in game" is bogus. First to discover is first. Whether you can or not meet them in game is 100% irrelevant to that fact.
It took me months to find housing spot in UO.
If I left for more than 10 days it would disappear and someone else would claim it.
Games have a largely transient player base and making room for new players makes sense to me.

That said, I think it would be weird to leave a game for a couple of years and then come back expecting that one's fame and fortune had remained the same.

I for one would be very turned off about exploration if your proposed changed ever actually happen. I'd probably just stick to blowing stuff up in the bubble. If I had already left the game, and all my discoveries were erased that's a sure way to never get me to come back.
So you imagine yourself coming back and staying because your name is on an icy body 20kly from Sol but if that name wasn't on that icy body 20kly from Sol you'd not even bother?
Nothing wrong with that at all, just curious to me is all.

So you imagine yourself coming back and staying because your name is on an icy body 20kly from Sol but if that name wasn't on that icy body 20kly from Sol you'd not even bother?

If it was just 1 icy body 20k from sol, I probably wouldn't care, but I have quite a lot more than that, and I am not anywhere near the level of our top explorers in the game. Quite a lot of work and effort has been made by a lot of commanders to get their names all over the galaxy on all those interesting systems. As much as I sometimes curse some of them (I'm looking at you Alitnil lol), the reality is...they got there first and deserve to have their tag there.

It may not be a good analogy, but compare it to deleting assets in any MMO. There's certainly less incentive to return if you know you will have lost something that you earned previously.

I get the UO housing example. I remember that. But that was also a highly limited resource (map space) compared to the number of players wanting to use it, versus ED's galaxy which is virtually inexhaustible compared to what the players will ever be able to do, with the only exceptions being the highly popular destinations. Those are certainly limited. But this is also just placing a name tag on it, rather than restricting use of something. Everyone else is still free to visit and use whatever game capabilities are present there.

There are 400 billion stars in this game. Surely people can find something to tag among them. It's not a kindergarten; we don't all have to wait our turn to tag Sag A* so we all can get our name on it. Yes, a lot of the easy pickings from the star catalogues have been tagged, but I'm sure with a little effort everybody can find something to get their name on.

Some sort of despawn mechanics will be wildly out of place, as the tagging is actually part of the history of galactic exploration in the game. One day we might even be able to see who tagged what and when! We already have "Discovered by" and "Mapped by" tags. Next up could be "First sampled by" or "First Surveyed by" tags, or similar.

Despawn mechanics could work for property, if we were able to peg survey lots and build bases: We could purchase a lease for a set time (3 months, a year) and gain exclusive rights to exploit that lease. If left unattended for half that time, the lease could expire early. Otherwise we might be able to renew it at the end. For survey leases, maybe we should hand back half the lease when renewing it.

But do not let exploration tags expire. Never!

:D S

To what end? I mean, if those new tags aren't permanent either, what's the incentive?
They'd have the same value as current players of the games get from the systems they've tagged.
I'm working off the theory that permanence in the game really only has value for those that are playing.
The 1-2 year lag is to allow for medical emergencies, or for the player to return after a hiatus.

The disconnect for me is why anyone would care two years after they've quit the game and not returned.
I see no value proposition in that.

Your theory is that entire communities of explorers would leave because after they leave the game for a year (or more) their discoveries would reset?
You know that sounds a bit silly.
Ah, trying to build a straw man I see, instead of replying to the rest of my post. I said "the certainty of losing players and/or communities", so no need to exaggerate. You'd certainly lose players, and for what? Vague and uncertain "community benefits". The feeling that if you see a Commander's tag somewhere, that Commander has last logged in sometime in the last 1-2 years.
...Yay?

If you want to build community engagement around exploration, there are much better ways to do that.

Last edited:
They'd have the same value as current players of the games get from the systems they've tagged.
I'm working off the theory that permanence in the game really only has value for those that are playing.
The 1-2 year lag is to allow for medical emergencies, or for the player to return after a hiatus.

The disconnect for me is why anyone would care two years after they've quit the game and not returned.

But there would be no permanency then, not even for new players. The game history would fade as tags expire. People joining the game would think nobody had done anything prior to 1 - 2 years ago. And those new players would have little incentive to do the hard yards, as their tags would disappear too.

We'd have to burn every baseball card ever made.

But there would be no permanency then, not even for new players. The game history would fade as tags expire. People joining the game would think nobody had done anything prior to 1 - 2 years ago. And those new players would have little incentive to do the hard yards, as their tags would disappear too.

People keep making this appeal (to permanency) but I'm not sold on the idea that once a person quits he or she cares about permanency anymore.
It is a weird sell to say, "Well, we'd like to be polite and keep the game interesting for those that have quit." <--- LOL

I think it would be far more interesting to see things like this in the forums:

"Hey, guess what? It has now been 24 months since Commander X has quit the game and tons of systems have opened up for discovery tagging!"

There could be a rush for newly available real estate.
It is okay if ya'll don't like that.

People keep making this appeal (to permanency) but I'm not sold on the idea that once a person quits he or she cares about permanency anymore.
It is a weird sell to say, "Well, we'd like to be polite and keep the game interesting for those that have quit." <--- LOL

"Hey, guess what? It has now been 24 months since Commander X has quit the game and tons of systems have opened up for discovery tagging!"

"Available real estate" Do you know how much available real estate there is? Even after 5 years of explorers going at it, we still haven't tagged not even 1% of the Galaxy? What purpose would it serve to remove tags? If I was a new player, I'd rather see continuity anyway.

So in effect, what you're saying is that because you don't personally see the value, that the feature should be changed into something other than what its design intent is. The whole point is "who found this first", not "who found this next after the last guy who quit/died/left/vanished/whatever". Taking that away not only damages the gameplay for the people placing those tags, but for everyone else too, since it would no longer be about first discovery recognition at all. At that point it would be better to have a visitors list instead. And if that's what you're advocating for, fine then. But at least admit that it's all you want. It's a contradiction to say that you want first discoverers to be forgotten in favor of later visitors, when the whole point is that they're first discovery tags.

And for the record, many people do care about the tags after they leave. Because they might very well come back again years later, or at least would like to know that they've left their mark. And besides, the feature has always been advertised as functioning that way. It's a little late to change it now.

But it is nobody's real estate. And remember this is a simulation of the future, not an MMO amusement park. A better analog might be "look, Christopher Columbus has been dead for 500 years, someone quickly go tag the Americas!".

Won't work.

Why would anyone announce that instead of just taking said systems for themselves?
But anyway, with that, we're back to the selfish reasoning of "I want others' tags for myself".
In other words, "I would like to have my tags on (somewhat) famous systems without having to explore and find new systems myself".

Re-examining things though, I think we've hijacked the thread with discussing Wargfoot's suggestion. Apologies for my part in that. Perhaps you'd like to post it in the Suggestions section? After all, that's the place for them, and there is a wider audience there. In here, you'll mostly find explorers.

"Available real estate" Do you know how much available real estate there is? Even after 5 years of explorers going at it, we still haven't tagged not even 1% of the Galaxy? What purpose would it serve to remove tags? If I was a new player, I'd rather see continuity anyway.

2.8%. But who's counting? :)

For real? Pardon my ignorance. I didn't know we were so far advanced. Where do I look up those figures? EDSM?

2.8% is a running meme, unfortunately new people to the forums sometimes don't get the jokes used here.

CMDR Thrust from Bradford is not surprised.

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom