Etiquette? What etiquette?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
This is all very confusing. I think we need some clarity here CMDRs! Is there etiquette or not? If there is etiquette then is it unwritten or written? If its unwritten then someone needs to write it down! Please. I mean to say rules is rules and now I've probably been doing this exploration all wrong! O7?

"...unwritten rule....etiquette...."

RjB2m9O.gif

I mean, that's tantamount to telling people how you want them to play their game, isn't it?

400 billion star systems in the ED galaxy, and there's moaning about a tiny fraction of it being scanned/mapped before you got to them.

Still, that darned Allitnil :p

This "explorer's etiquette" is a joke. I think that the new system encourages people to be scanning entire systems. I am on my second trip to Sag A and first trip to Beagle, and I have fully scanned every system I jumped into. There is no need to leave things untagged in an assumption that another explorer will come after and tag it. We are out there to catalog the stars and to find things.

If you are in an area that is already tagged, its not really exploration, you're a tourist. If you want to put your name on something, then go somewhere that most people wouldnt. This is why I am taking a weird/ slightly meandering route on my trip.

Heh, whenever I see "unwritten" and "etiquette" together, I tend to think that it's just whatever impression each individual person has arrived at, based on what they've seen. Which means that while many will be on the same page, there will be many others with different experiences, and thus different opinions on the matter.

Best to just do what works best for you. ;)

Heh, whenever I see "unwritten" and "etiquette" together, I tend to think that it's just whatever impression each individual person has arrived at, based on what they've seen. Which means that while many will be on the same page, there will be many others with different experiences, and thus different opinions on the matter.

Best to just do what works best for you. ;)

Surely the expression "unwritten etiquette" is just a polite way of telling other people you don't like they are doing things and they should stop doing it that way.

We have a way of responding to such things in Australia that wouldn't get past the forum censors! :eek:

This "explorer's etiquette" is a joke. I think that the new system encourages people to be scanning entire systems. I am on my second trip to Sag A and first trip to Beagle, and I have fully scanned every system I jumped into. There is no need to leave things untagged in an assumption that another explorer will come after and tag it. We are out there to catalog the stars and to find things.

If you are in an area that is already tagged, its not really exploration, you're a tourist. If you want to put your name on something, then go somewhere that most people wouldnt. This is why I am taking a weird/ slightly meandering route on my trip.

I fully agree about the new system, as i already mentioned earlier in the thread. In that regards, let me quote the OP:

Thank you, FD! 😡

All my comments below are related to the state of affairs before this new system was implemented.

So...
A random system out there with random ordinary objects there - who cares? It doesnt matter if you tag everything or nothing, nobody will pay attention. But imagine you spot something shiny on the starmap. A very rare type of star or nice planetary nebula. Anything which is rare and thus valuable. You set sail, travel many ly and when get there...it is tagged. For most explorers it is a disappointment. As you mentioned, we are not tourists, visiting whatever somebody else has discovered long time ago. We want to be the ones who make the great discovery. And here comes the etiquette part. Most explorers i know tag the main star and the most interesting objects. But leave the rest for those who come after them. It is a gesture of politeness and explorers solidarity. Cmdrs have traveled thousands of ly (sometimes) to get there. Dont leave them with empty hands, let them have one of those insignificant moons. You wouldnt profit too much by scanning icy moons anyway, would you?
Thats why all over the galaxy in many of the most interesting systems you can find the tags of several cmdrs.

Yes, it is an unwritten rule. It is up to you to decide whether you want to make a gesture of politeness and good will to those who come after you or not.

To avoid any misunderstanding, once again: the new system makes all this irrelevant in many cases.

Strange.
Leaving some boring, worthless ice balls for others after scanning the shinies doesn't sound polite or solidary to me, but rude :D

LOL, this puts some interesting images into my head...

"Oh, you're starving to death? Here kid, have a grape." :D

I take different approaches depending on what I find, where I am, etc. Sometimes I just aim to add my name to a few bodies and move on. Other times, if I've worked hard to find something, you can bet that I'll plaster my name all over it. ;)

Oh, boy, am I glad I'm drinking tea this evening and not gin :)

@varonica Lol, it's just me being cautious with a method to give me time to use the FSS. I do enter fuel scooping quite high and then throttle down. Sometimes it's has a quick rate, sometimes not, I'm not super accurate in my positioning. Bearing in mind I'm in an un-engineered Asp-Explorer that I built from a cannibalised T7 I took to Colonia, I'm also enjoying a 30 Ly jump range.

This sounds just like my old Black Bess. 30 Lys seemed like so much when I first took her out of the bubble.

Fair enough, we all do it our own way, in my Krait I just dive in until I am scooping at 878 cm/ps

:oops: I think the word I am looking for is "Yowzer!"

C

I fully agree about the new system, as i already mentioned earlier in the thread. In that regards, let me quote the OP:

Thank you, FD! 😡

All my comments below are related to the state of affairs before this new system was implemented.

So...
A random system out there with random ordinary objects there - who cares? It doesnt matter if you tag everything or nothing, nobody will pay attention. But imagine you spot something shiny on the starmap. A very rare type of star or nice planetary nebula. Anything which is rare and thus valuable. You set sail, travel many ly and when get there...it is tagged. For most explorers it is a disappointment. As you mentioned, we are not tourists, visiting whatever somebody else has discovered long time ago. We want to be the ones who make the great discovery. And here comes the etiquette part. Most explorers i know tag the main star and the most interesting objects. But leave the rest for those who come after them. It is a gesture of politeness and explorers solidarity. Cmdrs have traveled thousands of ly (sometimes) to get there. Dont leave them with empty hands, let them have one of those insignificant moons. You wouldnt profit too much by scanning icy moons anyway, would you?
Thats why all over the galaxy in many of the most interesting systems you can find the tags of several cmdrs.

Yes, it is an unwritten rule. It is up to you to decide whether you want to make a gesture of politeness and good will to those who come after you or not.

To avoid any misunderstanding, once again: the new system makes all this irrelevant in many cases.

If I arrive in a system that somebody has tagged almost all the bodies in it, I just assume they're lazy.

Also, how many people do I have to make this 'gesture of politeness and good will' to? One, five, fifty? I mean, if it's a special, shiny star system then I really should leave it for EVERYBODY to enjoy the experience of visiting, therefore 'etiquette' suggest that I don't tag ANYTHING at all.

So yeah, I'm gonna tag what I want, because doing anything else is meaningless.

Surely the expression "unwritten etiquette" is just a polite way of telling other people you don't like they are doing things and they should stop doing it that way.

See above, error of ways identified, currently engaged contrition mode

We have a way of responding to such things in Australia that wouldn't get past the forum censors! :eek:
Phew, for a minute I was worried you were going to launch EGGS!!

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom