Euro Truck Simulator is awesome!

• Thread starter Deleted member 110222
  • Start date
@Mad Mike the simulation of hired drivers is pretty simplistic as far as I can tell. Some of them have a bit of experience, but all charge roughly the same. I typically hire ones with a bit more skill at first and micromanage the first five garages, then after that I just set them to balanced and forget about them. I tend to place garages at the extreme edges of the world (I have all the dlc so it's a rather large map) and work my way in from there. Cheap starter trucks until im earning millions, then trailers and mid range trucks from that point on

@Mad Mike the simulation of hired drivers is pretty simplistic as far as I can tell. Some of them have a bit of experience, but all charge roughly the same. I typically hire ones with a bit more skill at first and micromanage the first five garages, then after that I just set them to balanced and forget about them. I tend to place garages at the extreme edges of the world (I have all the dlc so it's a rather large map) and work my way in from there. Cheap starter trucks until im earning millions, then trailers and mid range trucks from that point on
Sounds like you are a lot further in than I am. I would have done better but i lost my 1st .... 2 i think it was but definitely 1 major start in the game.

my current save is at about 16 hrs, however due initially to me deciding not to get a loan, my initial progress was slow. things sped up a lot once i got my own lorry, and even more once i decided to screw it and get a loan.

the xmas event pays so well, i suspect it will hit hard once that ends - pay difference seems to be up to 10k for non xmas deliveries and up to 25k for xmas ones!!!!.

I hate that the lorry is speed limited to 56 however when on the world of trucks missions...... I also wish my speed trap scanner also worked on police cars. I dont really want to turn them off as i like the spice of having them but i do like having a scanner to know when a trap is coming up. My rift CV1 is a bit low res even with super sampling on so it is sometimes hard to spot the coppers until it is too late.

Wrapped up for the night. Got £218k in the bank so making my way to Munich. Hoping once I get there I can afford a garage and some trucks. If not I will explore that region whilst making money. Can't find any jobs to Munich tho which is a pain. I am getting the old iveco lorry next for sure but am scrapping my plan to try the base model. My MAN euro 6 with 360bhp is starting to grate. No way I am doing 310 bhp. There is a 420bhp unit I will stick on I think. I will then pass on to my employees once am done with it.

My loan payment is £5200 a day which is peanuts. 3 more guys working for me and my loan will be paid off without me making any money going on what my current 2 pull in. Even if not it is peanuts.

Utah in ATS sure can be pretty. Just look at that sky!

FuHUWms.png

I have ATS but i got it before any dlc. Have never played it.... For now I have decided to focus on 1 game. It's a bit worrying. On Xbox I was addicted to achievements so much so I ruined games getting them. I escaped this when moving away from Xbox over 6 years ago but.......More and more I find myself looking at them again and ETS is no different. Luckily they are not game spoiling ones..... However the 100% roads travelled looks a bit of a pig. IF I want to get it I can't go near promods as that will over double the roads. This achievement wod have been far easier pre DLC.

I have ATS but i got it before any dlc. Have never played it.... For now I have decided to focus on 1 game. It's a bit worrying. On Xbox I was addicted to achievements so much so I ruined games getting them. I escaped this when moving away from Xbox over 6 years ago but.......More and more I find myself looking at them again and ETS is no different. Luckily they are not game spoiling ones..... However the 100% roads travelled looks a bit of a pig. IF I want to get it I can't go near promods as that will over double the roads. This achievement wod have been far easier pre DLC.
Sounds like you're having a lot of fun. I am too, though I can hardly explain the attraction. I will tell you that I've been eye balling trucks around town a lot more and looking up the regulations for getting a CDL....

So my wife's cousin has a HGV class 1 licence basically he drives the lorries in ETS2 - less so now than he used to as he is a manger). My job was looking very dicey a few years back and i was thinking of going that route myself.
Things for it... Pays well and Lots of work IF you have experience. Things against it.... You have to pay a lot to get the licence (iirc about £4.5k) , without experience it is really hard to get work (bit of a chicken and egg thing), it's not a great job for a family man esp at the start where you have to take what you can get,. The pay is awful without experience and you end up having to push the limits. And the big one... Driving on many roads nowadays is pretty bad.
It's also possibly a short term career now what with driverless vehicles or at least convoys with 1 driver and a few ai behind in development.

Ultimately I didn't lose my job but I think I decided ETS2 was a better fit. 20 years ago however I would have been more tempted to just do it.

Back to ETS2 I am playing it a bit like ED in a way and slowly going up the ranges of lorries (I got rid of my Volvo as it seemed a bit too good at the start) . I needed to get to get to an iveco main dealer as that will be my next truck but there were no external contracts there... So I took a quick job to le man's where there is a dealer. It was Inna Scania. My god.. compared to my 360bhp MAN it was night and day. That thing flies. Helped also as there was no speed limiter as it was not an eternal contract . Don't wanna get used to that yet. My new rig is the old style 420bhp Iveco (not drove it yet). I could have got a 450bhp engine but again I don't want to get to the strong engines too fast. Still 420 is a nice jump over my 360bhp MAN

Last edited:
Playing both and can't decide which one I like more. One of the best trips I've did in my real life so far was renting out a corvette in Las Vegas, NV, and driving around all CA, LA->RT1-Sacramento, SF, Yosemite, Death Valley, ETC. ATS somehow captures the true essence of that trip. On the other hand you can't argue ETS2 is more complete game by any means. The only thing I don't like is jaggies on a distance + that you can't see most of the signs sharply, they pass too fast.

Playing with KB. Thinking of how to steer with more precision, don't want to get the wheel - I simply have to space to have another device. Mouse steering feels very unnatural to me, I have a bunch of joysticks for ED and such but can't imagine how to steer with joystick... ?

Keyboard steering with this minimal chunky turns is bad. Ideally I would want some kind of wheel for steering, but very small, like hand size. Does something like that exists?

Keyboard steering with this minimal chunky turns is bad. Ideally I would want some kind of wheel for steering, but very small, like hand size. Does something like that exists?
I have not tried it but maybe a Wii mote would do what you want? Failing that a control pad has gotta be better than KB/M?

I've played both ATS & ETS2 for about the same amount of time now...and I still can't decide which one is "better." Each one has strengths and weaknesses which the other one compensates for or falters at. ETS2 feels much more complete, is highway system is waaaaaaay bigger and it has more customization options for trucks and trailers (like 10x as many. It's not even comparable, really).

ATS far surpasses it in terms of making you feel like you're really driving a truck, though, and not a car. This is due to a combination of factors, but mostly down to sound, trailer length and load "heft." By comparison ETS2's loads are very short to accommodate narrow, twisty secondary roads, and they feel far lighter due to the physics engine in the game. ATS hands down wins in the trucking category, and IMO the scenery is more visually varied and beautiful. But with all that said it feels very Spartan compared to it's older sister, so it's a toss-up as far as I'm concerned. 10/10 for both games, for slightly different reasons.

This why I prefer ATS. Both are great sims, but ATS "feels" better to me for that reason.
I tend to like ATS just letting you drive, too, over all the roundabouts, toll roads and speed zones that can literally change (and often do) three times in less than 10 seconds that characterize ETS2's maps. ATS's design philosophy coupled with the nature of American freeways lends itself to a smoother experience.

Was driving yesterday in Germany on some highway near ... don't remember, somewhere south of Germany. And right in a middle of highway - bam! Fence. Hit it at almost full speed. Of course, loaded up autosave and was able to squeeze on the right. AI cars seem like pass this with no prob.

What's this, glitch?

Attachments

• ets2_20200110_153555_00.jpg
    ets2_20200110_153555_00.jpg
    510.7 KB · Views: 217
Was driving yesterday in Germany on some highway near ... don't remember, somewhere south of Germany. And right in a middle of highway - bam! Fence. Hit it at almost full speed. Of course, loaded up autosave and was able to squeeze on the right. AI cars seem like pass this with no prob.

What's this, glitch?

That makes no sense whatsoever indeed. Are you using mods?

What's this, glitch?
Maybe it's a sheep crossing.

After 120 hours of trucking in ETS2 I finally made a delivery in the UK. Driving through such exotic locales as Poland, Lithuania, Germany and France I was actually quite surprised and a little thrilled to discover that it wasn't just a silly urban legend told to foolish and impressionable Americans: they really do drive on the left side of the road!!!

Top Bottom