Eurogamer Article - Just to clear up a couple of things......

Hi All.

I feel compelled to post a response to the Eurogamer article. I am not exactly over the moon with how my opinions have been portrayed and have communicated with the journalist in question about it.

I'm going to keep this brief and not go over every point but there's two things I want to make clear.

1. I do not consider myself the most famous ED player, Mobious or ObsidianAnt would get my vote for starters. I have challenged this remark the response being "My line about you being the game's most famous player is coming from my opinion. I appreciate that may not be accurate and makes you uncomfortable. I can certainly edit that to "one of Elite Dangerous' most famous players". I stand by the "his opinion counts" line though. I think you're being modest there - it certainly does!"

I hope this clears that up as I am very uncomfortable with how that came across.

2. In my interview (which lasted over half an hour) I went to great lengths to put across my backing for the Devs and my appreciation of how hard they work to make things good for all of us. Sadly none of this made it to the article. Nothing is perfect but I feel like I was presented as being on the wrong side of that debate. The "Salt" comment is something I find very funny because I think it's in at least a good part justified even if it wasn't tongue in cheek.

There are other points I could cover off but I'm not inclined to make this into a wall of text. Eurogamer have a job to do and I'm told the article was aimed at non Elite players. So this isn't a Eurogamer bash either. I just wanted to make some things clear.

Thank you for your time, and my love and thanks to all Canonn.
"Dr.A."
(Oh and if you are not doing our CG right now get in there and haul some stuff it's for a good cause :p )

Nice post and clarification; thank you. Although I hadn't heard of you prior to reading the article (sorry...), I thought your views were reasonable and measured.

PS: Will check out your CG.

Last edited:
Not all that surprising, if you look at the kind of posts that generate huge responses on here it's generally not the positive ones. If Eurogamer rely on clicks for revenue then picking certain well known commanders (not yourself) for their input and being selective with what other key players have said is pretty much par for the course. Contentious == clicks.

I do believe FD could do with pushing out an update that does more than just adds to potential PvP situations though, I also wonder how viable the long term aim of maintaining interest from all players over a 10 year period is but, personally, I still find Elite engaging even if I have to take a break every so often.

I already suspected much of it was taken out of context. The article sounded like it was looking for a negative slant rather than a balanced viewpoint anyway.

Whilst there is a lot of negativity on the forum, most of it seems to be people wanting something from the game that a lot of other people don't. The problem is there are many conflicting views on how Frontier should proceed, and what should be next.

That's the problem with modern "journalism" these days. Everything has a "spin" to be an attention-hook. It's depressingly easy to read between the lines just about anywhere in the journalism world these days; honest, simple, stick-to-the-facts objectivity is a rare and valuable thing in our modern world.

Many journalists (and I used to be one) write their articles before doing the interviews. Its a lot easier to meet your deadlines when you can just write a piece of creative writing instead of research a topic. I'm not saying that this is what happened in the Eurogamer article but it does happen. People often begin with their conclusion and then work their way back from using only the statements that backup the conclusion.

Don't worry too much about the "Famous" part, pretty sure nobody means to be disrespectful to you when they say they haven't heard of you before, thats more a bit of a jab against Eurogamers sensationalsm. (I mean I have now for the first time seen a post from you, but as someone who is not much into canonn stuff myself its just normal that we not hang around the same places.)

But I'm not doing the CG! :mad: (maybe because I'm out exploring, but you will never know If I would If I weren't :p )

Many journalists (and I used to be one) write their articles before doing the interviews. Its a lot easier to meet your deadlines when you can just write a piece of creative writing instead of research a topic. I'm not saying that this is what happened in the Eurogamer article but it does happen. People often begin with their conclusion and then work their way back from using only the statements that backup the conclusion.

This isn't a jab at you, but it really bugs me that journalists aren't being held to a high standard of professionalism, integrity, and trustworthiness. You would think, that of all the professions to be concerned about those things, it would be dissemination of information en masse to the public at large....

Typical media i'm afraid Dr. A. I was recently interviewed for a local paper and i had to correct them on one point which they got totally backwards. Fortunately I got to see the article before it was published.

Congrats on getting the megaship as well (or soon... possibly.... no promises, no eta :p).

Thank you for clarifying your position.

I'll certainly be helping out with the CG effort, assuming there is anything left to do by the time I get there! :)

Sounds like you were the victim of someone else's agenda.

Eurogamer say to journalist "write an article about how players are unhappy with Elite"

Journalist interviews you and hears "Actually I'm fairly happy with the game despite the flaws"

Journalist writes "Prominent player not entirely happy with game, cites flaws!"

This isn't a jab at you, but it really bugs me that journalists aren't being held to a high standard of professionalism, integrity, and trustworthiness. You would think, that of all the professions to be concerned about those things, it would be dissemination of information en masse to the public at large....

No worries. I was a military journalist so my job was to tell the military's story the way they wanted it told ... which was always (to my knowledge) truthful ... just slanted.

Hi All.

I feel compelled to post a response to the Eurogamer article. I am not exactly over the moon with how my opinions have been portrayed and have communicated with the journalist in question about it.

I'm going to keep this brief and not go over every point but there's two things I want to make clear.

1. I do not consider myself the most famous ED player, Mobious or ObsidianAnt would get my vote for starters. I have challenged this remark the response being "My line about you being the game's most famous player is coming from my opinion. I appreciate that may not be accurate and makes you uncomfortable. I can certainly edit that to "one of Elite Dangerous' most famous players". I stand by the "his opinion counts" line though. I think you're being modest there - it certainly does!"

I hope this clears that up as I am very uncomfortable with how that came across.

No worries, some journalist used your name to sell his clicks. I'd be about that, too.

I've been quoted in the press twice and both times they just made up what I said.

Typical media i'm afraid Dr. A. I was recently interviewed for a local paper and i had to correct them on one point which they got totally backwards. Fortunately I got to see the article before it was published.

I used to make up lots of quotes ... but I always let my "interviewee" read the article first, and have editorial say, before publishing. Most of the folks I "interviewed" preferred letting me write their quotes for them anyway.

Last edited:
Sadly a "journalist's" job nowadays is to create as many clicks a possible. Instead of articles we have clickbait and forced drama.

... and that was the last time anyone heard from the mysterious Dr Arcanonn again.

It's a little unfortunate you agreed to be interviewed by anyone linked to Eurogamer, they don't have a great track record for.. unbiased reporting. Anyone who knows you knows that wasn't the real you. Or, at least as much of the real you that we know of. Which isn't much. Your voice is incredibly gravely... have you considered Strepsils? :D

That article did more harm than good, IMO, as it painted Elite as more a Pewpew fest than an all-encompassing space game, which is again very unfortunate.

I implore Frontier to run an article of their own, somewhere, to address the concerns mentioned in this forum, but also to combat the misconceptions this, and other articles around the net which have recently sprung up, are spreading.

Top Bottom