Europe pack: megathread

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Feels somewhat wrong to already discuss Europe DLC before the NA DLC is released ( not "attacking" anyone :D :D )
But also gives an good indication on how many people want one.

But to join in:

1. European Badger, imo out of all badger species this one stands out more, the colouration and "cute" appearance looks like a solid pick)
2. Red Deer, imo a bit more majestic and I slightly prefer this one over the Fallow deer but that one has a very distinct coat.
3. Iberian/Eurasian Lynx, very popular choice - so let's go with this one.
4. Alpine Ibex, maybe a bit of nostalgia but I think it would make a great addition to game. I do hope a elevation requirement (rocks or terrain) will be added if this should happen.

Animal pack:
5. Red Fox, popular pick
6. Wolverine, popular pick
7. Common Pheasant, could use more ground birds, has striking colours and even useable for other continents as well.

If they are going with a domesticated choice (similar like the Llama) the Highland Cattle is a solid choice imo. A lot of nature/recreational parks let them roam freely to do their nature maintentance.

The second article I linked to states their numbers to be over 1,100. Their last status update was in 2014, so the boom in Iberian lynxes hasn't been documented by the IUCN yet.

It's still endangered, and 156 individuals is still an incredibly low population (increasing or not.) Imo that still makes it a perfect choice for a game based around conservation.
We have already more than 1000 Iberian lynx! It is still a very small number, but bearing in mind that there were less than 100 lynx 20 years ago, the conservation program is a big success

Personally, what I'd love to see from a Europe pack at this point would be a "response" to the NA pack, so to speak. A completion of the handshake. An obvious focus on explicitly European species, but still enough transatlantic representation that NA gets a minor boost as well. I think I'd like to see:
  • Alpine ibex
  • Eurasian or Iberian lynx
  • Red deer
  • Red fox
  • ?
  • ?
  • ?
There's a lot of wildcards, but those are the ones I'm set on. I would love to see the crested porcupine, but I'm not sure if it's European "enough" to be on Frontier's radar for this one. I'd also really like to see at least one of the wolverine or wild boar to further boost the NA lineup (I know the wild boar is invasive here but it still wouldn't feel out of place in local species focused NA zoos). The chamois is really cute, but maybe not the most distinct beside the ibex. Alpine marmot seems like a solid, safe pick. Personally not big on the badger but it's obviously hugely representative of Europe as a whole so it would definitely work well. Similarly most of the other ungulates (wisent, mouflon, musk ox, non-red deer) would be low priority personally but I wouldn't be upset to see them. And as always, any birds are more than welcome.

And for the exhibit, the fire salamander is really cool and beyond obvious so I 100% expect for Frontier to keep their trend of underwhelming exhibit animals going and give us the common housefly.

Still an excellent conservation narrative showing the importance of captive breeding and zoos as homes for ambassador animals and raising awareness and education.

(But I’d still prefer the Eurasian lynx. Or ideally both).
There's no way we're getting both... and the fact that all the NA Pack's animals are ranked Least Concern says conservation isn't as important as popular choice...

I like how everyone just jumps onto the idea of a Europe Pack the second North America is released.
Well, it is the only continent yet to recieve a dedicated DLC pack (ignoring Antarctica, because there aren't a lot of options).

We have two giant tortoises, two brown bears, two tigers, two wolves which are actually one wolf depending on who you speak to… So I wouldn’t say there is no way by any means.
None of those are paid DLC, from packs limited to 4 or 7 animals (depending on the type of pack), which if we're lucky we may get a whole five more (assuming support lasts through 2022)... they're definitely not gonna add both to one pack... and considering the fact they're is likely very little DLC remaining, the fact that there are bigger, more interesting alternatives, and that the most noticeable difference between the Eurasian Lynx and the Spanish Lynx is the shape of their chin fur, I have a very hard time believing they'll add both... furthermore, I have a very hard time believing very many people would want both...

Last edited:
I really take issue with use of words like “definitely” and “no way”. If I have learnt anything about Frontier’s animal choices it’s that they rarely do what we might expect.

I don’t expect to see two lynxes in one pack but there are multiple possibilities of how we might eventually get both. I’m not making predictions or assumptions but I won’t rule anything out.

I like how everyone just jumps onto the idea of a Europe Pack the second North America is released.
This has been the case since launch, though (winter DLC notwithstanding). After the game launched, everyone honed in on South America and Australia. After South America released, all sights were set on Australia. After the sun bear leak, everyone knew Asia was right around the corner. Then, after Asia got added focus (and ironically because of the animal pack, which didn't come to pass) Africa was the obvious next choice. Once that all passed by, the community settled on North America. So obviously Europe's next, whether it's the next DLC or two DLC from now because of a curveball winter DLC (I would suggest aviaries but I have 0 hopes or expectations at this point).

I really take issue with use of words like “definitely” and “no way”. If I have learnt anything about Frontier’s animal choices it’s that they rarely do what we might expect.

I don’t expect to see two lynxes in one pack but there are multiple possibilities of how we might eventually get both. I’m not making predictions or assumptions but I won’t rule anything out.
No one's saying you can't be you... but if they actually committed to adding two barely different European lynxes instead of two relatively distinct animals (heck, even a Bobcat would be more unique)... well, that would be both a massive letdown and a massive waste. It'd be the Arctic Wolf all over again... no wait, it'd be worse, since both animals in this scenario would be paid DLC...

Last edited:
No one's saying you can't be you... but if they actually committed to adding two barely different European lynxes instead of two relatively distinct animals (heck, even a Bobcat would be more unique)... well, that would be both a massive letdown and a massive waste. It'd be the Arctic Wolf all over again... no wait, it'd be worse, since both animals in this scenario would be paid DLC...
What if it's a standard pack with lots of building pieces and 5 habitat animals instead of 4? It would be like getting a free extra animal which is practically a full reskin. It's not very realistic and not likely at all, but nothing is impossible.

What if it's a standard pack with lots of building pieces and 5 habitat animals instead of 4? It would be like getting a free extra animal which is practically a full reskin. It's not very realistic and not likely at all, but nothing is impossible.
I dunno... even for a "free extra animal which is practically a full reskin" there are plenty of options beyond a barely unique, paid DLC European lynx number 2...

This has been the case since launch, though (winter DLC notwithstanding). After the game launched, everyone honed in on South America and Australia. After South America released, all sights were set on Australia. After the sun bear leak, everyone knew Asia was right around the corner. Then, after Asia got added focus (and ironically because of the animal pack, which didn't come to pass) Africa was the obvious next choice. Once that all passed by, the community settled on North America. So obviously Europe's next, whether it's the next DLC or two DLC from now because of a curveball winter DLC (I would suggest aviaries but I have 0 hopes or expectations at this point).
I know that, but it’s like we can’t even be surprised anymore. I guess after Aviary and maybe Europe, we won’t really know the direction. I really can’t see them doing a December Europe Pack; an Aviary Pack would sell much better and during the holiday season, yeah a Europe Pack wouldn’t do too well. I know people are gonna come after me and defend the European animals, but European animals are kinda lame. I think they are going to touch Europe within each DLC, if that makes sense. They already did it with the Gray Seal, Reindeer, and Polar Bear and now with the Moose and Arctic Fox. And I think they’ll continue to do this. I just can’t see a Europe scenery pack definitely, and a Europe Animal Pack. Just seems weak to me. I’d rather have a Eurasia Pack with animals that sneak in there like Red Deer. I do really want the Red Deer and the Wolverine though!

I'd be interested in seeing a Europe pack, although I'm not convinced that we won't get biome-based DLC instead. The lack of desert animals in the North America pack is suspicious. That being said, these are the animals that I would like to see from a European scenery pack:
  • Alpine Ibex - If you don't count animals with extremely similar counterparts, the ibex, black rhino, and dromedary camel are the last base game Zoo Tycoon 2 animals that we're missing. Ibexes also popular on their own merits, and we need another caprid after the dall sheep.
  • Iberian Lynx - The Eurasian lynx is more requested, but these are both critically endangered and would represent the Mediterranean region well. They would fill the charismatic predator niche for the pack.
  • Red Deer - We still need a traditional deer, and although the fallow deer and roe deer are possible options, I would prefer the red deer. This is because they already have scenery items in the base game, and would make up for not having North American elk.
  • Red Fox - Another canid would be controversial. However, it's popular on the meta wishlist and would round out our fox representation. We'd have one species each for hot, cold, and temperate climates. Plus I'm biased if you can't tell. :p
  • Fire Salamander - Hard for me to think of better exhibit options.
And if it's an animal pack, add these three:
  • Eurasian River Otter - A giant otter clone feels like a no brainer for down the line, so why not put it here? Their cuteness would help sell the pack to casual players.
  • Saiga Antelope - A critically endangered species that deserves more attention, both in zoo games and real zoos. Helping their population recover could be a focus of the pack's timed scenario.
  • Wolverine - Probably the most popular North American animal left out of the upcoming pack, to the point that I have to wonder if they're saving it for down the line.
The Mediterranean monk seal is an honorable mention for me, if only because I'd like a grey seal clone. Plus it would hold notable conservation value.

Well I think any European Testudo (Hermann's or Greek tortoise) would be just as good as a salamader as an exhibit animal. In fact, both are needed to fill "empty niches" in exhibits.

Another good point in favour of the Iberian lynx is that we don't have any small cat in the game, and the Eurasian lynx is as big as the clouded leopard we already have. But both are beautiful animals, I wouldn't complain too much if it is Eurasian instead of Iberian, as long as Mediterranean Europe is represented with other 1-2 animals.

And Mediterrranean monk seals have never been held in captivity AFAIK... In Greek zoos they sometimes take care of weak stranded seals they found, but just until they are recovered and released again :)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom