General / Off-Topic Eurovision 2019. An unexpected entry?

Oh year, neighboars voting for each other - so that's why they added Jury?
How much does UK pays for Eurovision?
No, it's why they split the Jury and Public results. They used to go through each country's results, with them announcing the 8, 10 and 12 points. The Jury vote and Public vote used to be combined, but when the results were over and the public votes declared, people were getting more and more annoyed that the points given did not represent the public's voting because one person, the "Jury" vote skewed the results. One person on the Jury was given as much weight as everyone who voted in that country.

So they split the results and had the countries only announce their 12 points choice from the Jury vote and then announce the public results after. It is supposed to try to stop political voting, but as you saw last night, it still happens with Greece & Cyprus, and the Scandanavian countries. It doesn't happen so much now with the Eastern Bloc countries, thankfully.

I think the better way to do the results is to still have the Jury and Public results split, but announce all the jury votes first, like they do for the Public votes, going from whichever countries got the least points, to the countries who got the most. THEN go to each country to announce the 12 points results for the Public votes. It would be so much better, and the tension would be better and they wouldn't have to stall as much.

I don't think it's declared how much the UK (cough*The BBC*cough*Licence Fee Payers*cough) pay to be in Eurovision, but if we didn't pay, we'd have to qualify, and if that was the case, we'd have never been in it since 1997.

Last edited:
Madonna performance was awesome imo.

??? :oops:

You must have been tired.

She sang wrong throughout her performance.

I immediately noticed the false notes and all the press too, this morning.

A scandal and unworthy of Madonna.

However some say she had problems to hear herself sing (noise or technical problems ? Others say she sang too late in the evening)

:)

??? :oops:

You must have been tired.

She sang wrong throughout her performance.

I immediately noticed the false notes and all the press too, this morning.

A scandal and unworthy of Madonna.

However some say she had problems to hear herself sing (noise or technical problems ? Others say she sang too late in the evening)

NO. Madonna does NOT get a free pass. She was awful. She could have mimed it. She should have mimed it. I was expecting her to mime it (so imagine how surprised I was when she sang off-key!). The bit between songs was terrible, "Oh and then 6 male dancers come out in white dresses with faux gas masks on while a crap version of Swan Lake plays and I talk rubbish over the top of it. OH and NO-ONE is to be behind me as I walk down the stairs" It was cringey to watch. Then the new song was crap. And she ended with a political statement, despite Eurovision having a very strict no-politics rule (I say rules, they're treated more like guidelines really).

NO. Madonna does NOT get a free pass. She was awful. She could have mimed it. She should have mimed it. I was expecting her to mime it (so imagine how surprised I was when she sang off-key!). The bit between songs was terrible, "Oh and then 6 male dancers come out in white dresses with faux gas masks on while a crap version of Swan Lake plays and I talk rubbish over the top of it. OH and NO-ONE is to be behind me as I walk down the stairs" It was cringey to watch. Then the new song was crap. And she ended with a political statement, despite Eurovision having a very strict no-politics rule (I say rules, they're treated more like guidelines really).
In any case, one thing is certain is that she sang wrong.

Really amazing

Got to agree, the various contestants you may argue if you liked their songs or not, but at least they were competent in what they were doing...but Madonna, Jesus...
(yes, I've always dreamed of making such a pun)

You know what? Different strokes for different folks and all that...I'm not disappointed with what end up winning, all the most voted ones I found at least deserving of that, Netherland, Italy, Sweden, I'm one for music and vocal performance above cheesy and over the top presentation (they just are good singer overall, I'm from Italy and it's a shame that here Mahmood makes the headlines more 'cause "hurr durr, arabic name, hurr durr Islam oh my gosh"...for frak sake, he's just good at singing, isn't that enough for a singer?)...but if I have to pick one I'll hear even after the Eurovision, that'll be the one from Slovenja. I dig that sound. Sounded totally out of place for a similar contest, and more or less it showed in votes.

I just realised something about Eurovision on Saturday .... here is what I said (if you scroll up in this thread you'll see it, and that I've not changed what I said)
"Now I've seen all the acts, I think it's between Norway, Switzerland and Australia with Denmark and The Netherlands strong contenders. Outside Chance is Iceland .... UK will come last."

Norway had the most public votes with 291 points, Switzerland came 5th with 212 points, Australia came 7th with 131 points, Denmark came 15th with 51 points, the Netherlands came 2nd with 261 points and Iceland came 6th with 186 points .... as we know, UK came last, which I predicted

So based on the public votes, my predictions were not bad.

Incidentally, I predicted Portugal's win in 2017 while he was singing it in the final by jokingly saying "This is the best song in the competition" (this was in a chat either on Discord or Teamspeak, I forget).

On the BBC news website there is an article (video) about Madonna's yootoob channel cleaning up the off-key bits:

P.S. It was dire anyway.

P.P.S. Norway got robbed. ;)
Madonna .... that makes me laugh, but not in a good way. What is she thinking? First she could have mimed it live. It would have sounded perfect, no-one would be able to tell she was lip-syncing, and if they did it would only be the usual accusations getting thrown at her. Instead she chose to actually sing live, at an event with a rep for bad singing, that should have been her first warning, not to look worse than anyone at Eurovision. She must have known there would be 200 million watching, why else would she do it? Second red flag right there, don't screw up with 200 million watching.

Then when the singing was off-key, she should have done what the Americans called "Own It" and accepted that yeah, she sang off key. She could have released a statement along the lines of "This stuff is hard and I'm not getting any younger, I'm sorry" and everyone would have forgiven her. What she actually did though was change the audio, and now she'll always be remembered as a fraud who tried to treat everyone as if they were idiots with no memory. There's no coming back from this, it'll be brought up every time Madonna's name is mentioned.

And yes, Norway got robbed, easily the best song of the night .... but that's Eurovision !

On the BBC news website there is an article (video) about Madonna's yootoob channel cleaning up the off-key bits:

P.S. It was dire anyway.

P.P.S. Norway got robbed. ;)
I trust more what I saw on television than Madonna's private channel.

She was bad.

Just when you thought Eurovision couldn't get more outlandish...

I don't think it is justified to belittle a group's observance of the 3rd (4th) commandment - their protest was about people being forced to work on their sabbath (Shabbat) to produce the show, not an objection to the show per se.

Where my family are from the Sabbath is still observed to a degree, albeit on a different day from Judaism.

Top Bottom