Evacuation Proclamation!

Its is very interesting that the new plot distance just so happens to be the same as the distance to Colonia plus uses the N-Highway. A very important tool it you need the majority of your player base to be able to get there more easily for new content.

whats your route ? more interested in the neutron connection close to Sol

thanks

Sol - Galileo
Col 285 Sector RB-Y B29-7
PSR J1752-2806
Scutum Dark Region AF-Z B1
Nova Aquila No 3
Col 359 Sector NN-T e3-3
Col 359 Sector HN-J d9-50

Were the first few jumps. Used a double boost to get myself at Sol with 200ly+ on the first jump out.

You do realize they'll be hitting Colonia first, right?

Personally, I'll be camping out right under their noses - if they have noses... on HR 1185 A 4
Let's see how they like the gravity there.

Last edited:
OK, one can now plot 20,000 rather than 1,000. But Colonia is 22,000, how does that work out.
And if one just can't seem to get the hang of the nutron stars without doing a few rebuys in route. Why, when there has been sooooooo many trips there, there doesn't seem to be a map of any kind with a route on it. Everyone just says go you own way. Well, knowing the starting point and the ending point is easy part. But trying to plot even a 1,000 is complicated if one doesn't know how to actually plot. I mean, the majority of player who cut their teeth in the bubble have never ever actually plotted a route, the AI does it for me. I put point a and then point b hit enter and boom, it's a done deal.
So for myself and other in my boat (no pun intended) how does one get to Colonia even if one can plot using the new 20,000 vs the 1,000 when it 22,000 away.
I plan to do the journey and move everything there as soon as I'm aquire enough empire rank for the cutter. That's the only thing holding me back. In the mean time, my second quest is, how to hell, do I get there. One doesn't or mandated to have the best range, it will just take a few extra hundred jumps (LOL). But one can still get there. It's the route, I don't care if it's the economy route or not. But the nutron highway and I, are at odds with one another, and it's expensive if you don't do it correctly.

OK, one can now plot 20,000 rather than 1,000. But Colonia is 22,000, how does that work out.
And if one just can't seem to get the hang of the nutron stars without doing a few rebuys in route. Why, when there has been sooooooo many trips there, there doesn't seem to be a map of any kind with a route on it. Everyone just says go you own way. Well, knowing the starting point and the ending point is easy part. But trying to plot even a 1,000 is complicated if one doesn't know how to actually plot. I mean, the majority of player who cut their teeth in the bubble have never ever actually plotted a route, the AI does it for me. I put point a and then point b hit enter and boom, it's a done deal.
So for myself and other in my boat (no pun intended) how does one get to Colonia even if one can plot using the new 20,000 vs the 1,000 when it 22,000 away.
I plan to do the journey and move everything there as soon as I'm aquire enough empire rank for the cutter. That's the only thing holding me back. In the mean time, my second quest is, how to hell, do I get there. One doesn't or mandated to have the best range, it will just take a few extra hundred jumps (LOL). But one can still get there. It's the route, I don't care if it's the economy route or not. But the nutron highway and I, are at odds with one another, and it's expensive if you don't do it correctly.

So in the olden days before engineers or neutron star boosts the way to get anywhere further than 1000ly is to line up the map with you at the bottom, your target at the top and then move in a straight line roughly that direction. Travel that 1000Ly then plot the next 1000ly.
If they were OCD then some people would use the galaxy map co-ordinate system to work out the best way to go (e.g. to get from 0/0/0 to co-ordinates 40,000/0/1,000 you need to go +40,000/0/+1,000 then work out how much you'd need to go in X and Y and Z per 1000ly)

When engineers got added it just made it faster but as you note neutron stars were a gamechanger. Spansh is by far the best thing to use https://www.spansh.co.uk/plotter
It's built from the Elite Dangerous Starmap (EDSM) so doesn't know about all the neutron stars, it works for the average persons requirements though it's not good enough for most racing times.

Downsides:
Doesn't account for fuel stops
Isn't perfect as it doesn't know all the stars and doesn't account for a less than 100% full fuel tank
You have to plot individual jumps one after the other with copy + paste

Upsides:
Much faster than standard travel
Better than the in game FSD boost route plotting option

To get a race time as I did you would need to plot a custom route, I did this by flying the route beforehand and manually writing system names into a spreadsheet which I then used as my own personal version of Spansh just for that trip to copy/paste in.
Therefore I eliminated the first 2 downsides in the list above. Obviously adding the downside that any change at all to my ship configuration means my custom perfected route is entirely useless as the jump ranges or fuel amounts no longer work.

Anyway neutron stars are a very interesting thing, if you are not used to them they can eat you up and spit out certain death. Exiting supercruise within the "arms" is the worst thing possible, they are fairly easy to make a mistake with and emergency stop into the star and they are fairly hot.
I too had several mistakes with neutrons early in my experience with them, this is a bug where I respawned inside the arm and couldn't escape: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjLQ211F4Vg

The only answer I can really give here is practice and experience, I probably did about 50-100 neutron star boosts before I was comfortable, this run was after my Sol->Beagle Point run where I did 230 odd neutron jumps and emergency stopped twice. If you take a look at the video in the OP the best method I found was to do a small sort of dip towards one arm then sharply pull up and cruise along the length of the arm slowly flying into it, throttle control is key to do this efficiently and not have to spin around to re-enter the arm.

And yes, there's a few places between the spiral arms where the star density gets lower but any ship with say 20ly will be able to cross provided they don't stray too far from the 0 height line and thats without neutron stars at all. There's been several crazy totally bonkers people that have gone to the other side of the galaxy in sidewinders with 18/19ly range such as the now famous Distant Worlds effort to get one to Beagle Point. So it's all possible just needs to be broken into "Plot route, fly 1000ly, plot another route" type deal.
I'd recommend aiming to have a 30ly or above range, you can get away with less but the more the quicker it is. An AFMU or two is required if doing neutron jumps too as they slowly damage your frame shift drive whenever you are inside the arm.

Last edited:

Deleted member 115407

D
Wow, Alex! You did Colonia in just under two hours using Neutrons?

I think I'm going to have to get some advice from you on how to do that :)

Wow, Alex! You did Colonia in just under two hours using Neutrons?

I think I'm going to have to get some advice from you on how to do that :)

Heh yeah, I also did Sol->Beagle in 6hrs 35min and Sol-Sag A* in 2hrs 19min.
Although the Sol-Sag A* isn't a record, Allitnil and Alot both have better times of 2hrs 57sec and 2hrs 12min respectively.

I got most of my advice and hints+tips from the Buckyball racing club over on this thread, spent more time preparing for the race run than I did running it :p

Top Bottom