Examples of PVP builds

I'm interested in seeing some PVP builds, possibly experimenting with them. I've only encountered non-bank PVP once and I enjoyed it. Can I see some of the community PVP layouts or have some advice for me, that would help.

Thanks, o7

I'm interested in seeing some PVP builds, possibly experimenting with them. I've only encountered non-bank PVP once and I enjoyed it. Can I see some of the community PVP layouts or have some advice for me, that would help.

Thanks, o7

The Elite Dangerous Community discord has some helpful people for getting you started with combat:

Stuff like this: https://docs.google.com/document/d/108hNUfUZJuAgCNQrjmpX14j7qv4k3TloETnwhzIMwLk/edit

@Icybow73 Do you have a squadron yet? PvP and pvp theorycrafting is our squadron's main pastime. We're lawful (we oppose griefers and gankers at hotspots) and can take your pvp game to the very top if that's something that interests you.

I usually recommend the chieftain to those starting in pvp. It's very easy to fly, middle of the road offense and defense. It allows people to develop a style (cos it caters to all styles), and then choose a more focused ship or loadout from there. Here's a base chieftain build. The weapons are missing because what works for me might not work for you. To start with in pvp you should use whatever weapons you feel comfortable with, theres nothing wrong with gimballed multicannons to start with, as long as you focus on keeping them firing as much as possible.

Good luck! Hope it helps!

Last edited:
If you wanted the "META" you'd be looking at something like this https://s.orbis.zone/42ry or close to it.

But really, PvP is more about getting the basics, kitting any ship you like flying, and getting out there. You'll learn lessons as you go.

A good bit of advice is to make sure you're paying attention to your resistances. Make sure you're shield has at least 40-50% on kinetic, thermal and explosive. Weapons are kinda bleak, it'll be Plasmas, rails and seekers if you want to use whats strong.

If you wanted the "META" you'd be looking at something like this https://s.orbis.zone/42ry or close to it.

But really, PvP is more about getting the basics, kitting any ship you like flying, and getting out there. You'll learn lessons as you go.

A good bit of advice is to make sure you're paying attention to your resistances. Make sure you're shield has at least 40-50% on kinetic, thermal and explosive. Weapons are kinda bleak, it'll be Plasmas, rails and seekers if you want to use whats strong.
That fer de lance will be torn apart like paper once its sheilds are down.

When making my combat builds on coriolis, I try to balance the resistances while still having strong sheilds/hull.

I mainly thought pvp was for people that are very experienced in combat. I will keep shooting down pirates until then

When making my combat builds on coriolis, I try to balance the resistances while still having strong sheilds/hull.

I mainly thought pvp was for people that are very experienced in combat. I will keep shooting down pirates until then
Or if he runs into a phasing build. Shhh, don't tell him, as I use them mostly :sneaky:

Before you build a PvP ship you will have to think about it. What I want and against what I want it. You can try with Vulture, it's the cheapest PvP ship but requires a lot of skill. FDL would be a typical shield tank, while FAS could be used as hull tank, although these are a little out of meta, as are prone to targetting their systems. People also use big ships like Corvette or Cutter. As for weapons if you aim for smaller ships you would use gimballed burst lasers and multicannons. Against bigger ships plasmas, rails and frags are used. Of course engineering is a must, don't even try PvP without it. Your ship has to be maxed for combat it's not really a place for SRVs and other stuff. Your weapons have to be energy cheap as you need maximum free pips for shields and engines, so you should engineer them this way (for example efficient plasmas). Shield tanks and big ships require prismatic shields, while hull tanks take bi-waves. Of course you need shield boosters and hull reinforcements on hull tanks. On shield tanks you might consider sacrificing survivality for speed, some people build them to hit and run. It all depends on your playstyle and it's hard to give you a simple build. You should experiment a bit. It is also good to train FA-off technique as it gives an edge in PvP.

Before you build a PvP ship you will have to think about it. What I want and against what I want it. You can try with Vulture, it's the cheapest PvP ship but requires a lot of skill. FDL would be a typical shield tank, while FAS could be used as hull tank, although these are a little out of meta, as are prone to targetting their systems. People also use big ships like Corvette or Cutter. As for weapons if you aim for smaller ships you would use gimballed burst lasers and multicannons. Against bigger ships plasmas, rails and frags are used. Of course engineering is a must, don't even try PvP without it. Your ship has to be maxed for combat it's not really a place for SRVs and other stuff. Your weapons have to be energy cheap as you need maximum free pips for shields and engines, so you should engineer them this way (for example efficient plasmas). Shield tanks and big ships require prismatic shields, while hull tanks take bi-waves. Of course you need shield boosters and hull reinforcements on hull tanks. On shield tanks you might consider sacrificing survivality for speed, some people build them to hit and run. It all depends on your playstyle and it's hard to give you a simple build. You should experiment a bit. It is also good to train FA-off technique as it gives an edge in PvP.
Thanks for explaining this to me. I guess you could say my current combat Aliance Chieftain is hull tank, but I try to balance hull with sheild, so I guess I should stop doing that

Yes you are right. 100% But the shields wont be torn down, because shields are OP and broken with booster stacking and shield banks. I run phasing for this very reason. However, it's still the META. And if you're not running phasing (which A LOT of people don't) then the shields combined with the FDL speed makes it a tough ship to fight. You don't need to take my word for it, look up the PvP tournaments the community put together. It's 99% 4 FDLs vs 4 FDLs.

Or if he runs into a phasing build. Shhh, don't tell him, as I use them mostly :sneaky:

I wouldn't fight you in my FDL, and if I did, it'd be this which is my variant on the build. :p

Last edited:
Thanks for explaining this to me. I guess you could say my current combat Aliance Chieftain is hull tank, but I try to balance hull with sheild, so I guess I should stop doing that

I never played Chieftain but I think it should be made as hull tank. So fill it up with 4x hull reinforcements, add 2x module reinforcements (engineered for heavy duty or maybe thermal resistant), bi-wave shields (with fast recharge), 2 shield boosters, heat sinks or maybe a single chaff, reactive armour, armoured power plant. As for weapons I would put plasmas in all slots (efficient). People usually use dispersal field and target lock breaker on them. If you want you might pick something kinetic for the small slots, prefferably multi-cannons or rails (long range for sniping when enemy is far away). You might also consider changing effective plasmas into focused, as with higher projectile speed it's easier to hit, but you will have severe temperature problems, so it's a matter of experimenting. That is basically it. Even though it's a hull tank you should have pretty good boost speeds (with dirty drives), so you can try to hit and go with your plasmas, and recharge shields away from enemy, when they are down. It's a solid build for 1v1 encounters.

Balancing it with shields doesn't make much sense. To use shields effectively you would need a lot of boosters and a strong shield cell bank. Not really worth it. It's better to have soft shields, which can recharge quickly while you are away and have them ready for the next pass. You also have to know, that when you are fighting a shield tank you shouldn't give up too early. They will use their cell banks to rebuild the shields, while you will lose your armour. You just have to keep on fighting. It might turn out that when you are 20% hull left, he will finally run out of cells, his shields go down, and without them he is practically dead. You can also try to ram them. It's a good strategy with hull tanks. So generally during most of the fight you might be thinking that you are losing, because you are 50% hull and he is still 100% hull with full shields, but that might not be the case at all. Also remember that any time you are taking fire you should have 4 pips in the shields (if they are up). So generally I would charge my weapons when away from the enemy, change to systems when closing in, and immediately change to engines after the pass, so I can turn quickly, and put it back to weapons again. Pips management is really crucial in PvP.

Last edited:

You're missing that extra 1k MJ on there buddy.. Also you could get much better hull numbers undernearth even with banks.

You're missing that extra 1k MJ on there buddy.. Also you could get much better hull numbers undernearth even with banks.

It was just to demonstrate the Meta attitude at the moment. I'd prersonally fly that around in open rather than reinforced. I prefer resistances over absolute in those circumstances. If you knew you were in a PvP tournament against other copy paste FDLs then I would consider the extra 1k then.

Last edited:
Top Bottom