Exclusion Zone not showing for White Dwarves & Neutron Stars

Has anyone else noticed that the exclusion zone doesn't appear around White Dwarf and Neutron Stars any more?

I haven't tested this in Horizons, so this may be just Odyssey-specific.

This has become particularly frustrating because I just got destroyed by a white dwarf because I couldn't see where the exclusion zone, so had no idea where I could safely enter it's jets.

The exclusion zone shows correctly for all other star types, and used to show correctly for White Dwarves and Neutron Stars prior to Odyssey.

Can anyone confirm if this is a bug?

EDIT: There is an existing issue on the issue tracker for this bug: https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/41502. Please go and contribute to get it confirmed and fixed.

Last edited:
I've heard it is, and I haven't seen the exclusion zone since Odyssey.

It would be easier to confirm if they hadn't made it so these zones only show when you are at certain speeds.

I'd like to just turn them on permanently myself.

I tend to move slowly when navigating around a white dwarf/neutron so even when it isn't bugged it's a problem.

They are tiny objects so they only show up when getting really close. Park your carrier around one, and see how close you can get... you'll be surprised.

Has anyone else noticed that the exclusion zone doesn't appear around White Dwarf and Neutron Stars any more?

I haven't tested this in Horizons, so this may be just Odyssey-specific.

This has become particularly frustrating because I just got destroyed by a white dwarf because I couldn't see where the exclusion zone, so had no idea where I could safely enter it's jets.

The exclusion zone shows correctly for all other star types, and used to show correctly for White Dwarves and Neutron Stars prior to Odyssey.

Can anyone confirm if this is a bug?
I've noticed this, in Horizons. I've done a lot of neutron jumps in the last week and I don't think I've ever seen the exclusion zone. Other orbit lines are all on, and exclusion zones around ordinary stars.

They are tiny objects so they only show up when getting really close. Park your carrier around one, and see how close you can get... you'll be surprised.
I don’t think that’s true. I used to see exclusion zones around them all the time while exploring, and now I don’t see them at all. White dwarves especially have huge exclusion zones, which is what makes them so dangerous.

Have you tried it yourself?

also, I don’t own a carrier.

Yeah, Odyssey has never shown the exclusion zones of WD's and it's really annoying not to mention bloomin' dangerous as some WD's have exclusion zones that cover 2/3rds of their cones while on others only the very outermost fringes of the cone are safe.

If I remember I'll see if I can track down an issue report for this tomorrow so we can all go and vote on it. Surely this bug is more important than some of the crud in the top 20?

Yeah, Odyssey has never shown the exclusion zones of WD's and it's really annoying not to mention bloomin' dangerous as some WD's have exclusion zones that cover 2/3rds of their cones while on others only the very outermost fringes of the cone are safe.

If I remember I'll see if I can track down an issue report for this tomorrow so we can all go and vote on it. Surely this bug is more important than some of the crud in the top 20?
Thanks Alec. I had a look and found this one:

It's the only one that works, is still open, and has more than 1 vote. Is this the one you are referring to? If so, I'll edit my original post to include a link to it.

I have.

Did you try it yourself before posting that?
Yes, it works.
Screenshot_20210824-212453_Instagram.jpg

Thanks Alec. I had a look and found this one:

It's the only one that works, is still open, and has more than 1 vote. Is this the one you are referring to? If so, I'll edit my original post to include a link to it.
I didn't have a specific issue in mind but that'll do, I'll sign in and contribute to that later.

And just to reiterate, this is about the yellow circle around neutron and white dwarf stars that indicates the exclusion zone not appearing in Odyssey where it always used to (however briefly) in horizons. I always route via these stars, always have, and haven't seen a single yellow circle appear around these stars in Odyssey since the alpha. And yes, I always have orbit lines turned on. It's undoubtedly a bug.

I didn't have a specific issue in mind but that'll do, I'll sign in and contribute to that later.

And just to reiterate, this is about the yellow circle around neutron and white dwarf stars that indicates the exclusion zone not appearing in Odyssey where it always used to (however briefly) in horizons. I always route via these stars, always have, and haven't seen a single yellow circle appear around these stars in Odyssey since the alpha. And yes, I always have orbit lines turned on. It's undoubtedly a bug.
Sweet. Thanks Alec. I've also updated my original post with a link to the issue.

I believe I saw @Brrokk say that this issue also occurs in Horizons too at the moment.

Having just lost 4 weeks worth of exploration data to a White Dwarf due to this bug, I am not going to risk it again until it's fixed.

That's fair given what happened (better safe than sorry) and that's indeed a little as well as annoying bug apparently. Still, regardless of being able to see the exclusion limit or not, if at a WD always go for the outermost faintest edges of the cones possible. You might spend a little more time flying in a wide arc away from the star and to cone edges, but it's 100% success rate. Better safe than sorry!

Top Bottom