Exiting supercruise too close to large stations

I remember the old elite games, and part of the rush playing was the need to get close to stations for protection.

You would rush to get inside the no fire zone of the station

We seem to exist supercruise virtually right next to station, this means there is no dangerous zone while you fly towards it.

Can this be tweaked to randomly drop you out 10 to 20k out from station. I'm not saying always just add a bit of chance of it happening.

NPC pirates could patrol this area making it fun in low security systems

Last edited:
I remember the old elite games, and part of the rush playing was the need to get close to stations for protection.

You would rush to get inside the no fire zone of the station

We seem to exist supercruise virtually right next to station, this means there is no dangerous zone while you fly towards it.

Can this be tweaked to randomly drop you out 10 to 20k out from station. I'm not saying always just add a bit of chance of it happening.

NPC pirates could patrol this area making it fun in low security systems

If your a trader or passenger ship you usually get interdicted pretty often by pirates. Pirates arent stupid enough to attack there hunter most of the time lol. Also if you have a bounty yourself over 100k and illegal cargo its non-stop interdictions.(In game already)

Last edited:
I am annoyed if I get interdicted seconds before reaching the station, because of the slow down by the planet's gravity. I would say there are enough opportunities for criminal NPCs to interdict players near stations.
There are still those determined NPCs following you near a station, sometimes even appearing in front of you on approach but then silently rushing away like nothing happened. I know that was different some time ago as well.
A few times I almost collided with Orbis or Ocellus stations, when I happened to approach them from the opposite direction of the access corridor.
(These extension modules seem to not affect mass lock either.)

But it is strange that, if there is a connection error near a station, one gets put back to a safe position further away. This only takes a little extra time to reach the station again, but it adds up over time.

The FSD is more accurate in space than it is over a planet due to quantum friction between it and the displacement of space by an astronomical body.
This is why masslocking is a thing and why the FSD has to spool down over a longer period of time over a planet and not while droping out at an orbital station.

Its also why it's a ability to accelerate or decelerate is greater in deep space than it is near an astronomical body.

Safe disengage is exactly what it says.
It automatically handles dropping out for you when
A distance and speed threshold is met because the FSD's accuracy is the best at that point for the Ship's AI to take over temporarily.
This is also why stations that orbit bodies further away have larger drop out thresholds because the ammount of quantum friction being exerted on the FSD is lower than it would be at stations orbiting closer to the planet.

Last edited:
The FSD is more accurate in space than it is over a planet die to quantum friction between it and the displacement of space by an astronomical body.
This is why masslocking is a thing and why the FSD has to spool down over a longer period of time over a planet and not while droping out at an orbital station.

Its also why it's a ability to accelerate or decelerate is greater in deep space than it is near an astronomical body.

Safe disengage is exactly what it says.
It automatically handles dropping out for you when
A distance and speed threshold is met because the FSD's accuracy is the best at that point for the Ship's AI to take over temporarily.
This is also why stations that orbit bodies further away have larger drop out thresholds because the ammount of quantum friction being exerted on the FSD is lower than it would be at stations orbiting closer to the planet.

Very informative man kudos. I always wondered why the stations not orbiting anything let us drop out at 4-10mm or so and figured it had to do with gravitational influences being less but wasn't sure.

I'm not sure about the idea of having to face enemies close to the station as the op is suggesting. I can imagine bug hunters or somebody else that's blown their canopy and rushing to get to a station wouldn't be happy about a change like this.

Last edited:
Very informative man kudos. I always wondered why the stations not orbiting anything let us drop out at 4-10mm or so and figured it had to do with gravitational influences being less but wasn't sure.

I'm not sure about the idea of having to face enemies close to the station as the op is suggesting. I can imagine bug hunters or somebody else that's blown their canopy and rushing to get to a station wouldn't be happy about a change like this.

Thanks, Also i didnt mention this part, but the quantum friction happens because the FSD is being forced to displace space that is already being displaced by something else, hence it having to work harder to accelerate/decelerate and therefore causing quantum friction between the ship and the body.
Its also why you get slow down messages near bodies because the ship is warning you that its ability to throttle the relative FSD speed is going to diminish near the body you are approaching.

Also, the tail effects you see coming off other ships in supercruise is the result of quantum turbulence generated by the FSD's wake. like a boat on water

Additional FSD fact: your ship doesnt drop out of FSD at faster than light speeds because the FSD shifts the quantum density of your ship because normal matter is incapable of traveling faster than light otherwise.
Because of this your ships actual kenetic momentum is only a few hundred meters per second at most while the FSD is allowing your ship to travel at speeds greater than light.
If your ship does an emergency drop the damage comes from the FSD not having time to shut down properly so the quantum density of your ship returns at an abnormal rate causing sections to compress against each other and contract away from each other to a degree which results in hull fractures and therefore damage.

Last edited:
We originally dropped out around 20km from the station but lots of people complained about the wasted time flying to the station, so they moved the drop closer. It would perhaps have been better to have filled that time with opportunities for events.

Thanks, Also i didnt mention this part, but the quantum friction happens because the FSD is being forced to displace space that is already being displaced by something else, hence it having to work harder to accelerate/decelerate and therefore causing quantum friction between the ship and the body.
Its also why you get slow down messages near bodies because the ship is warning you that its ability to throttle the relative FSD speed is going to diminish near the body you are approaching.

Also, the tail effects you see coming off other ships in supercruise is the result of quantum turbulence generated by the FSD's wake. like a boat on water

Additional FSD fact: your ship doesnt drop out of FSD at faster than light speeds because the FSD shifts the quantum density of your ship because normal matter is incapable of traveling faster than light otherwise.
Because of this your ships actual kenetic momentum is only a few hundred meters per second at most while the FSD is allowing your ship to travel at speeds greater than light.
If your ship does an emergency drop the damage comes from the FSD not having time to shut down properly so the quantum density of your ship returns at an abnormal rate causing sections to compress against each other and contract away from each other to a degree which results in hull fractures and therefore damage.

Very interesting stuff my knowledge of quantum physics is limited but it's a very exciting subject and I get the jist of what your saying. We aren't going to get anywhere without finding wormholes or figuring out a way move the fabric of spacetime like the fsd does. We can't reach the speed of light while traveling inside the fabric of space without turning into pure energy and blowing up but space itself can expand faster so hopefully we figure something out eventually that can lets us do so too.

Hopefully I'm still around when that day comes even if I'm just a Futurama style head in a jar.

We originally dropped out around 20km from the station but lots of people complained about the wasted time flying to the station, so they moved the drop closer. It would perhaps have been better to have filled that time with opportunities for events.

Yeh the 20km drop from station was an opportunity for some gameplay.
Of course if you did a really late drop you could drop straight into the station, lol.

Top Bottom