[Expedition/DSSA] Search for the Pequod

More NSP in Eta Carina Sector JH-V c2-9 - feels like I'm in the land of the giants, the asteroids give a better idea of the scale of these things (that's my DBX in the middle), and the reddish glow is Eta Carina in the background.

tQnudQf.png

Also found a (slight) Tritium overlap, time to try some mining tomorrow :)

Last edited:
More NSP in Eta Carina Sector JH-V c2-9 - feels like I'm in the land of the giants, the asteroids give a better idea of the scale of these things (that's my DBX in the middle), and the reddish glow is Eta Carina in the background.

tQnudQf.png

Also found a (slight) Tritium overlap, time to try some mining tomorrow :)

Yes I found a couple of sites also, the first you reported of course, that was one jump from the FC in the direction of the nebula so I expect everyone will get that one, and one other system. I am 1kly away a bit to scan a system for the HIP project but turning around now and heading back, it was only 1300ly away so worth a quick trip.

For those who haven't been keeping up with the on-goings on the Fleetcomm discord.

I made a simple spread sheet for folks who want to do an organized search. This search pattern is based on the ones that the crew of the DSSA Callisto have been using, which is to do vertical columns within a region of space.

Google Sheets - Search for the Pequod

Edit: And for those who still don't know what I mean by "vertical columns"

The idea is to split up a region of space, in this case a 200Ly cubiod around Eta Carina Nebula, and divide it up amongst participating CMDR's. It sadly doesn't increase the chances of finding stuff over a randomized search (throw a dart at the map and go there, for example), but this does help prevent folks from re-scouting the same area of space.

Vertical columns are chosen in this search pattern because you can look "Top Down" on the galmap and see a nice grid drawn for you to determine 2 of the coordinates. 10Ly are chosen because A. That's the smallest division for the galmap that's drawn on the map and B. Economy mode in the nav-plotter tends to only plot to systems around 10Ly or so, meaning you can stick a bookmark on a system that's roughly in the center of the top of the column, a bookmark at the center at the bottom of the colum, and have a high chance of hitting all the systems through the navplot in one go.

Last edited:
hi there! When is the estimated arrival of the Gam Nine at NGC 3199 and how long are you planning to stay around the nebula? :)
We will be arriving on Wednesday, and will be there for a week :)

Any chance you could open up your Tritium reserves? We don't really need much, but might as well fill up on the way past if that's ok (we will only have space for 5k even if we fill completely).

We will be arriving on Wednesday, and will be there for a week :)

Any chance you could open up your Tritium reserves? We don't really need much, but might as well fill up on the way past if that's ok (we will only have space for 5k even if we fill completely).
Of course, most of it anyhow is "yours" :D
Atm there are 9.5kt available...

But.... a week you say... with a weekend included... You see, I have some issues with two bugs which drives me nuts...
1. There's no pulse wave analysers, although there should be 50 in stock... Support is at it, but well... It's Frontier support ;) and when there is no PWAs, all mining equip is dead weight...
2. My "official" market isn't updating through 3rd party sites whenever I activate secure market... So that is suspended and therefore also dead weight... (and who needs it anyway out here :D)

Now... Within a week, I could get back to the bubble, reequip and resupply and get back to NGC 3199...
Without any further Calc there should be around 5k Tritium for you after I'm back....
But I would need a reliable carrier at my dest in terms of the DSSA spirit....

You see where this leads to!? ;)

Just some thoughts at the end of my working day... Now back on road heading home :),

You don't need PWA's to do laser mining, which Tritium is available as laser, surface, and sub-surface. A solid Tri2 should average pretty well. Granted, if all the miners brought was SSDM's then of course that's a somewhat moot point.

I brought along some mining lasers, an abrasion blaster, and an SSDM that works fairly well. Nothing in the speed category of course but its not too slow either. I could use another class 1 SSDM, however.

Also, if working together as a wing then only one person needs a PWA as they can paint rocks with deposits with a prospector, then the miners without a PWA can put down their own prospector on the rock to get the laser bonus. I'm not sure if ships within the same wing can see deposits from other's prospectors.

You don't need PWA's to do laser mining, which Tritium is available as laser, surface, and sub-surface. A solid Tri2 should average pretty well. Granted, if all the miners brought was SSDM's then of course that's a somewhat moot point.

I brought along some mining lasers, an abrasion blaster, and an SSDM that works fairly well. Nothing in the speed category of course but its not too slow either. I could use another class 1 SSDM, however.

Also, if working together as a wing then only one person needs a PWA as they can paint rocks with deposits with a prospector, then the miners without a PWA can put down their own prospector on the rock to get the laser bonus. I'm not sure if ships within the same wing can see deposits from other's prospectors.
you are right, and that all I know :)

but its actually not about the mining per se - I brought completely equipped ships with me for my personal mining - but to provide a complete package to CMDRs who want to reequip their ships for some mining to change pace on their trip out in the black... (if this happens at all is another question, but I wanted to provide the option)
So I bought the "mining tools" and the "mining utilities" package as well as the necessary outfitting module for my FC, which all together weight, well, dont know exactly, but - a lot :D
And now the 50x Pulse Wave Analysers are missing cause of a bug which "cripples" the whole idea ;)

you are right, and that all I know :)

but its actually not about the mining per se - I brought completely equipped ships with me for my personal mining - but to provide a complete package to CMDRs who want to reequip their ships for some mining to change pace on their trip out in the black... (if this happens at all is another question, but I wanted to provide the option)
So I bought the "mining tools" and the "mining utilities" package as well as the necessary outfitting module for my FC, which all together weight, well, dont know exactly, but - a lot :D
And now the 50x Pulse Wave Analysers are missing cause of a bug which "cripples" the whole idea ;)

Ah, right, sorry. I was kinda knee-jerk responding to the "when there is no PWAs, all mining equip is dead weight" bit by responding with something that surmounts to "git gud." :)

Ah, right, sorry. I was kinda knee-jerk responding to the "when there is no PWAs, all mining equip is dead weight" bit by responding with something that surmounts to "git gud." :)
No worries :)
Didn't explained it well enough in my first post.

Hopefully support can let them magically appear soon ;)

Now to get down to business. What all mining equipment are you stocking?

I'm considering making a run to the bubble to pick up an anaconda and fit it for mining science and then jumping back to continue with the expedition. I've already got a few bits of mining equipment on my AspX but its ill-suited to do hotspot surveying for things like hotspot radius function fitting and overlap verification. I'm considering bringing an 5H FSD booster to stow on the Gam Nine in case I end up needing it when we get to the sparse regions, but that would mean I would have to leave behind a collector or prospector module.

Righty-o, thank you. Mild change of plans with the Anaconda, since I haven't had time to do a proper mining run in a while I'll be just repurposing my T-9 to do the science stuff. I've got all the modules in the bubble right now, so hopefully I can just grab the mining tools from you once we reach NGC 3199 tomorrow

We are in place in NGC 3199 Sector DL-Y d12. Guardian Ruins and NSP in this system.

DSSA Kraut is in NGC 3199 Sector XJ-A d10 and there are more NSP over there - lots in this area (though a lot won't scan).

Known Guardian Location:
  • NGC 3199 SECTOR IM-V C2-5
  • NGC 3199 SECTOR MC-V C2-8
  • NGC 3199 SECTOR BV-Y C2
  • NGC 3199 SECTOR DL-Y D12
  • NGC 3199 Sector CQ-Y D6 (recently found)
  • NGC 3199 Sector XJ-A D10 (very recently found)
Gam Nine is buying Tritium, Kraut should have some if you want to trade, or be on the lookout for good mining locations (Kraut has outfitting with most mining gear). Another FC, the Ancillary Justice, will be jumping in later for a visit - more mining gear and cheaper Tritium. It will be heading back to the bubble at sometime during our visit if anyone needs a lift (though no shipyard). (that all happened)

Watch out on returning to the Gam Nine - we're parked with that Y-class between us and the system entry star, so it's easy to run into it :oops: (umm, ok last time I looked)

Fh9pfZB.png

Last edited:
Alright, after a nice buckyball style jog with the Golden Gekko, I've arrived and fitted up with mining gear from the Kraut (Thanks, Rudi!). I was actually trying to race it back onto the Gam Nine before she headed out to NGC 3199, but I was maybe half an hour too late. I told Factabulous to not worry about me as I wanted to see if I could catch up to the carrier in a sort of Fox and Hound game where I was the Hound (I lost).

I'm going to take a nap and then get to work on making sector signup maps for the search efforts. Just by going through three systems I can tell there is A. LOT. of interesting stuff here. Including some dangerous binary and trinary main star systems (stay alert, don't panic, throttle to blue, pop a heat sink).

Last edited:
Top Bottom