[Expedition] The Outer Rim Station Tour

LGy0zDp.png

July 1st - July 29th 3304
Meetups at 23:00 Galmap time for western hemisphere, 17:00 for eastern hemisphere

Welcome to the first exploration expedition focused on the far-flung inhabited stations, the Outer Rim Station tour!

This expedition is planned as a station and nebula tour, intended to introduce and make better known some of the furthest outposts of humanity. Commanders are invited to fly their smaller explorer ships (The stations could get their large pads clogged up, if everyone is in a conda) and to master their camera controls, since thanks to the nebulae there will be many photo opportunities!

The organizer Lance 'Spacecat' D. (Who will be hosting an expedition for his very first time, bear with him) will be flying his Type-6e to set the tone, and has prepared a tour document which you are invited to read here: https://tinyurl.com/y9kcmb5k

-The pace of the expedition will be moderately quick with 2-3 waypoints per week. But the distances are relatively short.
-For the social aspect, I invite folks to join the Fleetcomm private group and discord server. (We'll strive to meet around 23:00 GMT at each waypoint)
-Take the time to read the tour document, the waypoints through Barnard's loop are difficult due to permit-locked sectors.
-During the expedition, let's put our best pictures on the forums, the finest ones I will add to the tour document.

Tour document: https://tinyurl.com/y9kcmb5k
EDSM link: https://www.edsm.net/en_GB/expeditions/summary/id/47/name/The+Outer+Rim+Station+Tour
Fleetcomm: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/242496-Information-FleetComm

Waypoint list:
Start: 98 K tauri - Sunday July 1st 3304
Waypoint 1: HIP 23759 in Witch Head nebula - Monday July 2nd 3304
Waypoint 2: PMD2009 48 in Orion Nebula - Wednesday July 4th 3304
Waypoint 3: Thor's Helmet Sector FB-X C1-5 - Saturday July 7th 3304
Waypoint 4: Seagull Sector DL-Y D3 - Monday July 9th 3304
Waypoint 5: Rosette Sector CQ-Y D59 - Wednesday July 11th 3304
Waypoint 6: Crab Sector DL-Y D9 - Sunday July 15 3304
Waypoint 7: Jellyfish Sector Fb-X C1-5 - Wednesday July 18 3304
Waypoint 8: Flaming Star Sector LX-T B3-0 - Sunday July 22 3304
Waypoint 9: 2MASS J03291977+3124572 near NGC 1333 - Wednesday July 25 3304
Waypoint 10: California Sector BA-A E6 - Friday July 27 3304
Final waypoint: T Tauri in Hind Nebula - Sunday July 29 3304

Last edited:
Neat, I might consider this one. I was thinking about revisiting many of these locations at some point anyway.

Question for you guys: I'm thinking of making photography challenges a part of this expedition.

For instance, for the Witch head I'd challenge folks (in the tour document) to 'Show us a picture with barnacles'. For the Orion nebula, I'm thinking a photocontest with the theme of 'Fire in the sky' (lots of red nebulae around here, and orion is beautiful).

Do you guys think that's a good idea? Aye or nay?
And wasn't there a really good post somewhere how to improve screenshots/photos? Stuff like following the rule of three, I need to find that post again...

Looks like this is starting shortly after Small Worlds 3 finishes. I might just take off on this trip then right after that one.
As long as the Intrepid works out for me as a short range explorer.

Is there a map yet showing the route? Besides this one?

Update: Ooops. The next collision at Sword of Damocles is scheduled for July 11th, so I might be out in the Colonia area then.
But I'm not sure if I'll be there on my Alt or my Main. Either way, one of us may still be able to participate.

Last edited:
By the way, the Q2 update (Beyond Chapter 2) launches on the same day as the expedition.

At a minimum I'll probably want to fit the FSD Booster before going anywhere. The good news is that since the expedition circles around the bubble pretty closely, it shouldn't be too hard to detour back when needed. :) I also need to decide on which ship before then. Probably the T6 or the AspX.

Sorry for the lack of updates, and the lack of map. I'm in Small Worlds 3 myself (and trying to not steal their thunder on the forums) plus some stuff RL. So was planning to rework the document and maybe do a map this weekend or the next.

And -groan-, the Q2 update launches at the same time, just my luck...
Hrrrm, do you guys think I should delay the expedition a day or three?

Last edited:
But General Grievace is beyond the Outer Rim....

Sorry for the lack of updates, and the lack of map. I'm in Small Worlds 3 myself (and trying to not steal their thunder on the forums) plus some stuff RL. So was planning to rework the document and maybe do a map this weekend or the next.

And -groan-, the Q2 update launches at the same time, just my luck...
Hrrrm, do you guys think I should delay the expedition a day or three?

Why? There will be nothing for explorers as usual. Maybe 2 days so everyone can equip a FSD Booster?

Last edited:
I went to some of those systems years ago before they had stations. It's kind of weird when I open the systems up again and I can see the stations I know weren't there when I last went. Maia, Thor's Helmet and Witches Head nebula are the ones that come to mind. I was putting bookmarks on those systems a few months ago in case I ever went back to those nebulae and when I could open them up I realized I'd already been there.

Well acg515, that means you were rather well-travelled. :)

Now heads up for everyone, since we have a big update on the 28th I've decided to tighten a few dates at the start of the expedition and start a little later. That way any big downloads will be out of the way, we'll have time to grab those FSD boosters and the like.

NEW EXPEDITION START - 1ST OF JULY

edit: By request, I have now included a map of the waypoints within the tour document, and also took the time to write a diagram of the permit-locked sectors in the Barnard's Loop area, could come in handy!

Last edited:
Is there anything official to do to sign up besides apply for FleetCom (which I have to do for DW2 anyway)? I’ll be heading along in my Rat-equipped DBX, and might swap out the SRV for a repair controller if that might be helpful for the smaller travelers.

Top Bottom