Expedition VI: The Longest Journey

It is time to strike a line of hope through a galaxy bleak and cold, through the densest of star fields and the most terrifying of regions, devoid of light and joy, towards a commander driven by eagerness and wanderlust, deceived by the endless darkness of the deepest regions of space.

I promise that I will do my part in this rescue to the best of my abilities, and I think it is safe to assume that the others will do the same. We shall rescue you from the cold grasp of the void, so that it may not claim another victim for itself.

o7 Cmdr Deluvian, may we all return to Sol unharmed.

Is there a twitch stream planned, or similar? Would be great to see this unfold!

3 of us have considered streaming this rescue, me being one of them, though i will not be flying the entire distance. The rescue will be completed by Cmdr Highwaywarrior and Cmdr Veristhea, the former has expressed plans to also stream this rescue, but only he can actually confirm whether he will do it or not.

Wow.

The planning for this mission has been painstaking. It's taken over 3 days to work the numbers and the science to the point that we have a detailed plan. CrunchyBaton of the Fuel Rats is truly the brains behind this operation and without his expertise we'd probably not get it off the landing pad.

The preparation has been insane. I've had to return to the bubble from Colonia, get a Cutter and engineer the nuts off it. Given that the only engineer I had any rep with was Felicity Farseer I had my work cut out to gain rep with the others and also farm the materials I needed. On top of that I had to get The Guardian tech which would be essential for making this Cutter Tanker fly. I now have a Cutter Tanker with a 53ly jump range, capable of carrying 768T of fuel and 100 limpets.

And it isn't just me. 4 others have been doing similar work to engineer their ships in order to ensure we get to Cmdr Deluvian's system and then achieve the 600hrs in Supercruise necessary to reach him.

I remember the rescue of Cmdr Persera and the talk of "Operation Black Buck" which was a Falklands War mission to get the Vulcans down there from the UK. This rescue mission is closer to Black Buck than that rescue ever was.

So, 5 of us are en route to assist Cmdr Deluvian. In total we have the capacity to carry 2576t of fuel and 632 limpets. Out of the 5, only two of us will actually make it to him to deliver the fuel he needs. It is a team undertaking the likes of which I have never known before in the Fuel Rats. We have started as a team and we will finish as one - and we will get Cmdr Deluvian out of there.

Follow The Fuel Rats on Twitter where I'm sure further updates will be posted in due course.

For now, I've got some serious flying to do but I will keep you updated as much as I can along the way. I'm sure Cmdr Deluvian will also want to keep you updated on his situation as we make best speed to him.

It is a privilege to be a part of this fine team of Rats involved in this audacious rescue.

Cmdr Highwaywarrior

Wow.

The planning for this mission has been painstaking. It's taken over 3 days to work the numbers and the science to the point that we have a detailed plan. CrunchyBaton of the Fuel Rats is truly the brains behind this operation and without his expertise we'd probably not get it off the landing pad.

The preparation has been insane. I've had to return to the bubble from Colonia, get a Cutter and engineer the nuts off it. Given that the only engineer I had any rep with was Felicity Farseer I had my work cut out to gain rep with the others and also farm the materials I needed. On top of that I had to get The Guardian tech which would be essential for making this Cutter Tanker fly. I now have a Cutter Tanker with a 53ly jump range, capable of carrying 768T of fuel and 100 limpets.

And it isn't just me. 4 others have been doing similar work to engineer their ships in order to ensure we get to Cmdr Deluvian's system and then achieve the 600hrs in Supercruise necessary to reach him.

I remember the rescue of Cmdr Persera and the talk of "Operation Black Buck" which was a Falklands War mission to get the Vulcans down there from the UK. This rescue mission is closer to Black Buck than that rescue ever was.

So, 5 of us are en route to assist Cmdr Deluvian. In total we have the capacity to carry 2576t of fuel and 632 limpets. Out of the 5, only two of us will actually make it to him to deliver the fuel he needs. It is a team undertaking the likes of which I have never known before in the Fuel Rats. We have started as a team and we will finish as one - and we will get Cmdr Deluvian out of there.

Follow The Fuel Rats on Twitter where I'm sure further updates will be posted in due course.

For now, I've got some serious flying to do but I will keep you updated as much as I can along the way. I'm sure Cmdr Deluvian will also want to keep you updated on his situation as we make best speed to him.

It is a privilege to be a part of this fine team of Rats involved in this audacious rescue.

Cmdr Highwaywarrior

I am fully confident in your ability to pull this off. Fly safe and Godspeed.

o7 Rats!

All hail the Fuel Rats.

Godspeed. o7

@Highwaywarrior - You made it into Galnet news this week on Hutton Orbital Radio :)
Would you fancy joining us in the studio next Thursday to give us an update please?

Day 90 - A New Hope - 65,788.34Ly from Sol

My distress call got heard.. I still cannot believe it, but it was the only way.. The Magnificent Rats took like a day to debate on how to approach the problem.. and then, they said "we are on our way".. When I first saw Cmdr Highwaywarrior "reporting for duty".. and then right after Cmdr Idianeira "commencing preparations for departure" I was literally speechless.. I have to say: Thank you... a really big one to all the Rats, those who are currently involved and all of those who offered immediate support when I showed up on #Ratchat.. no wonder this is the most respected faction/community in the galaxy
Without disclosing a lot of details... 5 ships are headed my way and here is the "ratstat" of the current situation

jvqXgecuF6kVLYG7uasWY_cPNX2T5FqqdHMXX2TSOm0VyxXKMM-LfNR64i8StfTiI2vMXXthQpedzGNjBOXhN3Sq7reQBF6Fz-rUgstjM5STrexZqNdl1xSisNYUN8bd9gFmR8wZzlm2qiJUEbMNy2wrMQOzrDSWrkhJ-Vnn34cm5gDaSscwud1oblb-C-QhzOTTEhQrwlGf3prO79U5WQgOzSe3GX95qWn15O1MXxKih6Aol9gl_CuQ9JF5gQxG7WLBVHxVxsJvYFyBj-nGR9pFnsiJA588ghCIfPVGjlZpY249VvzS8uA7STRfom8Pa8aUM7Pay1G00_cCUwJBikST7zUXbYaA89CyYsJmCPQmVyMzVeaBg6BOO6EaEpPitKNyeeyqzHCetFkHXykAZz1F9ssgo1RaA2o7Qmtb8Tf5LBa2eM6lClyBiwvSHX15qMhh0P86W9htoFuG1opZg52JFmjlpCqpt50e-T2euVMpMLhnqPFCXEiGZ1K_TIBF8tpGwZKfg__CUTWXFxPLoqn7ufA_c3TRdR65ObejAVltOCH4tDfToidTKYMbUWrcETaX2YR97wZOqdjxhdpYIqRkQNHOBTShAv9CzioEWq_x9pjpGjlBYeKNdsCaEE1KyRPoWDlMbReXxz7-H7UhNlDL=w504-h139-no

It's been 50 days here.. and now, there is some hope again...

Last edited:
heard a little melody.. it's my sense playing tricks with me.. or..

The water is wide and I can't cross over
Neither have I wings that I could fly
Build me a boat that can carry two
And both shall row my love and I

There is a ship and it sails on the sea
Loaded deep as deep can be
But not as deep as the love I'm in
I know not if I sink or swim

I leaned my back up against an oak
Thinkin' it was a trusty tree
But first it bent and then it broke
Just like my own false love to me

Oh love is gentle, love is kind
Gay as a jewel when first it's new
But love grows old and waxes cold
And fades away like some morning dew

The water is wide and I can't cross over
Neither have I wings to fly
Build me a boat that can carry two
And both shall row my love and I

Last edited:
First contact established.. ratstat:

o7rIfUHYbh8dYKZOKoZRFsRRedRM_wro1pqUyvr6v-ASlYD9yuhipMKUoJr51TVofJPAv4-KAFSvX5JwInB6g_tspN1axrOcqcibKZSZ9BJbGEGeq4bMKkoHiykm2Qtn0n70Ks0-AJ4X3y6tFFdezAPFAVHTk28YmY8qLUP1YCYP-KclxIUqTxYrvaRTHyxsykwEAM-wt6ImRTz1VkOgIOtoq0DHZ8taAGgHJZYiZZOLWAgw5SbGx_KXceEyvsabnjghvyVrFIbftnH6SHheJJWkpOZ9OywuL2vKWN_Lsrq3Bx873xMz2rr4cX8UXWPnKuWY6oWzWRBfkpzysmuD0HozRO6UvHekC910pkq226iJAb6TsgK2_kfxfTwIb3ALR626128bBi4GbXUMiGsgpSHEWUx7WRGyl0lEzfp3QHLjXWrSVsB3oS-EbPbUNrYEZtLvEx4DN2-kw95wEH3prQvYnOXA_NxY4tdgtYG9klTv-t6v7ZzuToijgxpr9N7aYHtACe2YARUTSQrbuM8kgWyFCLStbBaunEaLC3OZc6owFrFD3_Qc125UjofQ_B_JxxEmH76sB51T9G-UrGKDbodEWI8Hxu0DrMcbMI7GCqs_Wu4bbZ_t5IkyJ0ZI0JE890Mw9jWORlbG11k3uuVI1pUAwL2ZPGJ7qvBhfvQAEygYeRfkIj9KYCbkxa08aGYjkz9DbWDUocF4Ztoa4Q=w570-h143-no

so excited.. only worried about Cmdr Idianeira.. but I am sure she will be fine and soon on her way towards the edge

end finally after some trouble Cmdr Numerlor got the bearing established.. sweet

_Sw7zJiAURYcZjKodd-dnzq8PGgj3SW1_SCjTOXdY3t_Eo0jyu-4RigUtIxMO2Y0fw_A-l1NE--gx-583Oa7Vs4ubfjeU83JAATN76nBBaQHEmv9gOfc4Xc_9Ptsn4hzbfa_erfInPSpKLfUXL7mdqOmictI1RHGGjX3JokaUtPeiDcsd5IlEopppbtskO4g5pBUwZDNAZmg1kb-_rnaJgzdZ0jYUXS539CeIEC7hiXjG0u8J0DYH6lS_2pxxW68CHPFx3sJ8Bg4PVyWVndkwTucfI8AevyJ2ONhcfdYmEYfrl3FfQ_OWsvo-tkhF8yoSLYaLlxgebhC73nfs9bp36_Q7yl3cnZRKXtN_kemjrDBjYOSZXFJjfkn0pBYTgs67oSiLkSx6MUmIfVAFiuSCLi_SxfzRJ_2kZe2WDKGeD9yTDQ4PWcr4Qed65PYS-eykOZr9nKSXaGTZIcuaXeYwYc1A5RhWz6BMKydx2RGrlq1PdSt8yvpT3d7suSAqsBWrXq_coRNAdYvRs39VtMtJ2jtG2raKiIWw66pN2aeEH1f6WAf15T8-c_FqdVig6bUchDAoL_m9ftQlb2hyPph2Fc7AIBB1v4LuOGflSH8z4FidY59qXCBpM53oRdOdpGYQuBQVB9Ty0Neg7Xlci5MNYx6zDneYlodpotZgJ-goHLxYOnZfBwXtXQzIszFnRKqQL14KNy3voaWOe2blQ=w565-h142-no

Last edited:
After 3 days of engineering my ship, 1410 jumps, 65,647 light years travelled and one week in total since we received Cmdr Deluvian's request for assistance I reached Cmdr Deluvian's system today. Following a 25 minute long fuel scoop from the main star to fill my tanks, at 16:20hrs January 12th 3305 I commenced the 25 day long supercruise necessary to reach him. I am in company with Cmdr Numerlor who is my Cutter Tanker refueller and without whom this mission could not take place. There are 3 other Rats also involved who are also en route to Cmdr Deluvian. The ultimate intention is that 2 rats will reach him and refuel him and we'll all get home for tea and snickers!

It's been a most complex operation to plan for and the journey so far has been an arduous one but the adrenaline is now pumping as we commence the last stage of this epic mission to beat the odds. It will be a privilege to be a part of the team which rescues Cmdr Deluvian.

Cmdr Highwaywarrior

Last edited:
That awful moment when, after you've got breakfast and the daily necessities done and you sit down at the PC to find your connection to the server was lost during the night and you've subsequently lost 6 hours flight time. Very frustrating but we continue on as we approach the 3ly mark.

Cmdr Highwaywarrior

A good question for Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?:

Which system in the whole Galaxy does currently host the greatest number of utterly mad people?

A - Amundsen Star
B - Semotus Beacon
C - Colonia
D - Andromeda

:D

I hope that server's instability won't make the trip way longer than it should be...

Last edited:
Top Bottom