Experienced miners, need your help

I've somehow missed/ avoided the mining part of the game, I think mostly because I didn't understamd what was going on ( never found a tutorial that was clear and succinct). Recently I found this vid, no dialogue just a guy laser mining in his Anaconda. It inspired me to at long last give it a shot, mining for Painite.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNwmMWdNpsw

I'm posting to be sure I understand the process, some of you guys are expert miners so I thought I'd check the procedure below with the experts;

1. having properly outfitted my mining Anaconda I look for a double Painite hotspot, gas giant w/ metallic rings
2. enter the ring system and use the Pulse Wave Analyzer to identify which of the asteroids potentialy have materials- the 'roid turns gold/ yellow if 'yes'
3. close distance with the asteroid, at some point launch prospector limpets which in term list the materials present. I then use the mining laser, hit the asteroid anywhere ( it dosen't appear it matters where you hit it). The materials float away..
4. use collector limpets to scoop them until the lower left hand panel says, 'depleted'
5. move on to the next

Do I understand the procedure correctly ?

a. how many prospector limpets vs collector limpets should I being ? How many prospectopr limpets do you fire at each asteroid ?
b. several different materials appear in the asteroids along with the Painite, how do I program the collector limpets to scoop only Painite ?
c. how many mining lasers do I want ?

Thanks very much for any help, please do post your Anaconda or Krait Phantom miner builds, have both ships engineered, I'm ready to mine { playing on Xbox).

Last edited:
1. having properly outfitted my mining Anaconda I look for a double Painite hotspot, gas giant w/ metallic rings
2. enter the ring system and use the Pulse Wave Analyzer to identify which of the asteroids potentialy have materials- the 'roid turns gold/ yellow if 'yes'
3. close distance with the asteroid, at some point launch prospector limpets which in term list the materials present. I then use the mining laser, hit the asteroid anywhere ( it dosen't appear it matters where you hit it). The materials float away..
4. use collector limpets to scoop them until the lower left hand panel says, 'depleted'
5. move on to the next

Do I understand the procedure correctly ?

a. how many prospector limpets vs collector limpets should I being ? How many prospectopr limpets do you fire at each asteroid ?
b. several different materials appear in the asteroids along with the Painite, how do I program the collector limpets to scoop only Painite ?

Mostly correct except step #2

The PWA detects surface anomalies in 'roids - the stuff introduced for nu-mining.
You don't need it for laser-mining Painite.

Painite mining is (usually) laser mining.
You just need to bung prospectors at any 'roid you like the look of, shoot it with your mining lasers if it's got significant deposits of Painite and then scoop up the fragments with Collectors so your Refinery can process them.
You might occasionally stumble on a deep-core Painite asteroid but, frankly, they're not worth bothering with because you can laser-mine more Painite than you'll get out of a DC 'roid in less time.

a) My T10 has a cargo capacity of 256t. I usually buy 200 limpets and that's plenty. I usually end up dumping 50-odd limpets to make space for more Painite but it's better to have too many than too few.

b) Go to the "Contacts" tab of your left-HUD and then scroll down to an unwanted fragment, press Enter (or whatever) and you can add it to your "ignore list".
Once you do that all similar fragments will be greyed-out on your Contacts HUD and Collectors won't target them.
You can repeat the procedure to remove a fragment from your "ignore list" again if you want to.

Also, while I'm at it, the "ignore list" can also be used to ignore cargo as well as mining fragments, so you can avoid accidentally collecting contraband in RES's etc.

c) Probably 3x C2 mining lasers.

Bring your entire cargo capacity, or close to it in limpets. All limpet controllers use the same limpets, so you need collector limpet controllers and one prospect limpet controller. The number of collector limpet controllers depends on how many lasers you are using. For 4 medium lasers (which a 7a or 8a engineered PD can handle np) I like to use 3 5A collector limpet controllers, which at 3 active limpets each will give you 9 limpets out there grabbing all your ores. 5A will last longer than 5b or lower. You certainly don't need 4 medium lasers though, so if you are using fewer you could do with few collector limpet controllers, just depends on how fast you want to move along. For prospector limpet controller, a class 1 will give you one active limpet, and a 3 will give you 2 active limpets. I prefer a Class 3 because you can shoot a limpet at a rock, then assuming you want to mine that rock, you can shoot a second prospector limpet off to probe another rock as you mine the first one.

Some nifty hints or tricks I've picked up from the forums myself over time would be to nose right up to the rock so your limpets don't have far to travel, this will greatly increase your efficiency. If it's a very spinny rock, often times if you approach it so it is spinning from top to bottom as you face it, it will kick off the fragments in an advantageous way for your limpets to snag them. Bind your Collection limpet controllers to the same group as your lasers, so as they deplete you will auto launch new ones, then use your other fire group for the prospector limpet controller.

Thank you, very much appreciated. So, you fire one prospector limpet per rock ? Or two per rock ? What are you using as your mining ship ?

Bring your entire cargo capacity, or close to it in limpets. All limpet controllers use the same limpets, so you need collector limpet controllers and one prospect limpet controller. The number of collector limpet controllers depends on how many lasers you are using. For 4 medium lasers (which a 7a or 8a engineered PD can handle np) I like to use 3 5A collector limpet controllers, which at 3 active limpets each will give you 9 limpets out there grabbing all your ores. 5A will last longer than 5b or lower. You certainly don't need 4 medium lasers though, so if you are using fewer you could do with few collector limpet controllers, just depends on how fast you want to move along. For prospector limpet controller, a class 1 will give you one active limpet, and a 3 will give you 2 active limpets. I prefer a Class 3 because you can shoot a limpet at a rock, then assuming you want to mine that rock, you can shoot a second prospector limpet off to probe another rock as you mine the first one.

Some nifty hints or tricks I've picked up from the forums myself over time would be to nose right up to the rock so your limpets don't have far to travel, this will greatly increase your efficiency. If it's a very spinny rock, often times if you approach it so it is spinning from top to bottom as you face it, it will kick off the fragments in an advantageous way for your limpets to snag them. Bind your Collection limpet controllers to the same group as your lasers, so as they deplete you will auto launch new ones, then use your other fire group for the prospector limpet controller.

Last edited:
Fill your hold with limpets before you depart the station. The prospector and collector controllers draw from the same pile. It's how they are programmed by the controller when you launch them that determines how they behave when launched. If you hit a rich spot you will be dumping excess limpets to make room for your minerals. They're very cheap.

You only need to fire one prospector at an asteroid. Leave it targeted while you are mining. That helps to improve the yield. I read that A-rated prospector controllers also improve the yield.

I use two 2D mining lasers on my Python with a 7A power plant and 7A distributor. With four pips to weapons I can mine continuously. When I added a third laser I found myself having to stop to allow the lasers to cool. It's actually quicker using just the two lasers.

The ignore list -- as already said you manage through your contacts tab on the left cockpit panel. You do that once the fragments are floating around and get to it by getting your cursor on the fragment in the contact panel with the material you want to ignore. That panel also lets you see how many fragments are left to collect. While I like to keep as many collectors active as possible if I see that there are only a few fragments left to collect I let those already out there finish the job and hold off on launching a fresh one knowing that I'm about to spend x minutes traveling to and finding the next good asteroid. Saves expending limpet lifespan on travel time.

Double painite spots were king a couple of months ago. Since changes to the economic model behind mining those prices dropped and low temp diamonds is where it is at today. I suggest you switch your target and hit the triple overlap LTD spot at Borann A 2. As you probably know, you have to hit the rings with your DSS to see the hotspots. Make sure to drop into the ring at the spot where they overlap.

Last edited:
Here's a video I made that explains everything. The only difference is that you now go to Borann planet 2A and mine low temp diamonds in the triple hotspot there. Mine any rock wit 15% or more. also, you need slightly more limpets than for Painite, so about 65% to 75% of your cargo capacity until you get an idea of how many you actually use.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHcXJcE5vnI&t=473s

Last edited:
So, you fire one prospector limpet per rock ? Or two per rock ? What are you using as your mining ship ?
As Elkyri has just covered, one prospector per rock is all you need to do. Having a 3A prospector is definitely not needed, it just gives you the ability to launch a 2nd prospector limpet without destroying the first, letting you stay a step ahead in checking out rocks.

I have several mining ships... I have a bit of a problem with always building new ships. For large scale laser mining, I usually use a Cutter, but also have a Beluga Miner ,Type-10, Asp Explorer, Phantom, Python, and MKIV I use at times too. A Python is seriously hard to beat. With the "bulk tax" now in place, Stealthy gave some great advice on keeping it under 300 tons, then the demand of the market will come into play as well. 300 tons at a market with a demand of 3k will get you better pay than 300 tons at a market with a demand of 300.

With the "bulk tax" now in place, Stealthy gave some great advice on keeping it under 300 tons, then the demand of the market will come into play as well. 300 tons at a market with a demand of 3k will get you better pay than 300 tons at a market with a demand of 300.

Which is another stroke in favour of the medium sized ships such as the Python and Krait. Easier to move around while in the ring and with "just right" sized cargo holds given the way the market is working today.

Thanks, am considering buying another Python for mining instead of the Anaconda.
Personally, I'd stick with the Conda. My mining Conda has a capacity of about 320t (from memory - haven't used it for a while), so mining low temp dimonds or void opals pays it off after 1 trip with a full hold.

Thanks, am considering buying another Python for mining instead of the Anaconda.

I wouldn't bother with a Python for laser-mining.

By the time you've fitted it with a bunch of collectors and a refinery, as well as regular stuff like a shield and fuel-scoop, you're not going to have a lot of space for cargo.
If it's all you can afford, or you specifically want to use a Python, it'll work fine on a small/medium scale but if you can afford a big ship, go with that instead.

It's kind of like deciding you want to be a truck-driver and then deliberately choosing to buy a minivan even if you can afford an 18-wheeler.
If that's what you want to do, fine but you're not going to make as much money as you would with the 18-wheeler.

I already own an engineered Anaconda, Python too so I'm familiar both.
Both ships are configured for other roles so I'd have re-engineer one of them regardless. Or just buy another.

I wouldn't bother with a Python for laser-mining.

By the time you've fitted it with a bunch of collectors and a refinery, as well as regular stuff like a shield and fuel-scoop, you're not going to have a lot of space for cargo.
If it's all you can afford, or you specifically want to use a Python, it'll work fine on a small/medium scale but if you can afford a big ship, go with that instead.

It's kind of like deciding you want to be a truck-driver and then deliberately choosing to buy a minivan even if you can afford an 18-wheeler.
If that's what you want to do, fine but you're not going to make as much money as you would with the 18-wheeler.

If you're mining for money, the Anaconda will beat a Python mining LTDs in the triple hotspot. The Cutter is King.

My T10 has a cargo capacity of 256t. I usually buy 200 limpets and that's plenty. I usually end up dumping 50-odd limpets to make space for more Painite but it's better to have too many than too few.

Seconded. I'd rather dump 50 excess limpets than end up with free space in my hold when I run out of them.

I didn't, but now I do. Cool.

Synth'ing limpets is fine if you just need a few to use as prospectors but it's not really viable to rely on it to provide a heap of collectors.
10x Iron and 10x Nickel gets you 4x limpets.
Iron and Nickel are both G1 mat's so they're easy to find but, when you're spending 10 of each to create 4 limpets, it's probably smarter to buy more for Cr101 each rather than have to spend the the time replacing the iron and nickel you burn through while synth'ing them.

Course, if you're mining in a place where you can get lots of iron and nickel from 'roids, it'll help offset the mat's you spend synth'ing limpets.

Personally, I'd rather be looking at 'em than looking for 'em - or, more accurately, looking for the mat's required to create 'em.

When I was mining painite, I was getting about 150 iron and 100 nickel per 2 hours, so it was never a problem to synthesise all the limpets I needed when I ran out. Most of the time, I'd have 300 of each, which makes 120 limpets.

Finished the Anaconda build except for mining lasers- should I ignore the large 3 slots, fit a couple of 2D mining lasers and call it a day ?
I actually bought another Python prior, engineered it pretty much full up but realized I couldn't live w/o that one extra slot that the Python just didn't have to give. I like the way the Python handles, much more so than the Anaconda. I got to Elite in my trading Python and I can't really say anything bad about it. I just needed one more slot to make a mining build work. After swapping modules for an hour I came to the conclusion, handling or not the 'conda had the slots I wanted for a minig build.

Last edited:
Top Bottom