Newcomer / Intro Experimental Effects

Are these really that necessary? It seems such a faff to engineer a module at a remote workshop and then have to get to the Engineer Base just to do the EE. Unless you engineer at the base to increase reputation I suppose then it is worth doing if you have the materials..

That's in the eye of the beholder. Arguably some modules benefit from them more than others. I always do them.

Corrosive shell is nice. Deep charge is another. In fact, I almost always whack an experimental on for that extra bite.

But yes, each to their own.

"Necessary" is up to you - and the specific purpose you want the mod for. In some cases, I really struggle to decide which of the extrras is least useless (slapped a target lock breaker on my PA just because all the other FX were even less useful), in other cases, the FX is the main purpose of engineering (like getting a single gimballed MC with corrosive effect, then slap on high capacity because corrosive reduces ammo capacity).

"Necessary" is up to you - and the specific purpose you want the mod for. In some cases, I really struggle to decide which of the extrras is least useless (slapped a target lock breaker on my PA just because all the other FX were even less useful), in other cases, the FX is the main purpose of engineering (like getting a single gimballed MC with corrosive effect, then slap on high capacity because corrosive reduces ammo capacity).
But isnt corrosive effect an EE? High capacity is a mod before you do an EE?

Don't take me that literally after 7 PM :) .
Yes, of course - corrosive is an EE. So, to say it differently - I have to engineer a MC for high capacity just so I can put on Corrosive afterwards. Corrosive is the main target, having to engineer some modification is just the means.

Yes OP, some exp effects are well worth it, flow control and thermal spread give you 10% improvements with no downside, plasma slug gives you free ammo!

Are these really that necessary? It seems such a faff to engineer a module at a remote workshop and then have to get to the Engineer Base just to do the EE. Unless you engineer at the base to increase reputation I suppose then it is worth doing if you have the materials..
Some are extremely necessary others are less so as has been said it depends on the module and the build, stripped down is very useful on almost everything if you are building a long jumping ship using the armoured blueprint G1 on a power plant coupled with stripped down is pretty much win win giving lighter better integrity more power and better thermal efficiency.

Keep in mind that your ship will mostly work pretty well without the experimental effect so you can take a little time to do the circuit.

I always add the experimental as soon as I start engineering if I am at a base and you could always add G1 and EE to modules you are likely to need in the future and store them at the engineers to call to wherever you start a build that will need them.

So if I go to Felicity I can EE my G5 FSD jusy chnaging the exisiting EE and also EE my thrusters thus saving a visit to Palin? Do I have to take Felicity to G1 thrusters to access the thrusters module for the EE? Or will it offer the installed thruster status and allow me to EE it? Hoe does this work?

So if I go to Felicity I can EE my G5 FSD jusy chnaging the exisiting EE and also EE my thrusters thus saving a visit to Palin?

As far as I know, yes.

Do I have to take Felicity to G1 thrusters to access the thrusters module for the EE? Or will it offer the installed thruster status and allow me to EE it? Hoe does this work?

If the thrusters are currently unengineered I guess you have to do a single roll to then be offered the EE.

If you paste the below into google, some of the results will hopefully confirm:

site:forums.frontier.co.uk felicity palin drag drives

So if I go to Felicity I can EE my G5 FSD jusy chnaging the exisiting EE and also EE my thrusters thus saving a visit to Palin? Do I have to take Felicity to G1 thrusters to access the thrusters module for the EE? Or will it offer the installed thruster status and allow me to EE it? Hoe does this work?

yes, yes, no, yes

It isn't rocket science, no need to over-think it. If an engineer can do ANY mod on a module / weapon then they can apply an EE to any modified version of those - even if they have been modded elsewhere and even if the engineer only has grade 1 capability they can still add (or change) an EE no matter if it has been modded to G5.

You select thrusters then select the blueprint that they have been engineered with then click on the experimental effect button and follow the instructions from there. It is all quite simple in practice.

Top Bottom