'Experimental' VR branch for Odyssey launch

UPDATE: EDO will now launch with VR support for ships & SRVs, and basic 'projected flatscreen' access to Legs content. They have re-voiced their desire to take Legs to a quality level post-launch.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to the thread :)

Hello lovely devs!

Please consider releasing an experimental VR branch for Odyssey when the time comes. This could be made available through the current launcher.

Potentially it could allow for:
  • A very basic implementation of VR to be made available without officially launching in the VR marketplace.
  • Access to Odyssey flight & SRV content. [?]
  • Basic access to character content using the planned 'flatscreen' control schemes. [?]

Given community disappointment about the VR announcement I suspect there would be a lot of tolerance for 'basic' interim solutions to the character issue.
  • Possible basic solutions for character gameplay:
    • A projected flat screen (as seen in Minecraft VR, Touring Karts etc).
    • VR headlook + classic control schemes, for those who have their 'VR legs'.
    • The above, but with work done on aspects like guns & UI being attached to headlook.

Such a branch would keep a huge swathe of the existing VR community happy. It would placate the dedicated fans of EDVR who seek it out, while not appearing on the radar of customers seeking a fully realised VR product. (Ideally it could also operate as a genuine testbed for a fuller VR implementation down the line).

I would urge you to consider the possibility.

o7
Gol

Last edited:

Deleted member 121570

D
Great idea. Please get this done ASAP, and then please tell us when you have, thanks!

It just needs leaving the existing HMD options in the options/graphics menu.
Spend whatever time is required post-launch sorting out the locomotion and hand waving mechanics for legs, but leave the ship flight alone, please.

:)

Make it 100% unofficial if needs be, just leave the VR headlook code in there and turn a blind eye to any resourceful modder who manages to get hooks into it, such as happened with Alien: Isolation.

Any negative aspects can be countered with “it’s a mod” and those who use it would know what they’re getting into. Plus I’d get to wander around going “coo, look at that”, and spending too long looking at my footprints (SkyrimVR has taught me this) :)

Great idea. Please get this done ASAP, and then please tell us when you have, thanks!

It just needs leaving the existing HMD options in the options/graphics menu.
Spend whatever time is required post-launch sorting out the locomotion and hand waving mechanics for legs, but leave the ship flight alone, please.

:)
This is my thinking too ^^^

I'm happy to adapt to whatever locomotion can be available for VR, eg. it doesn't seem that teleport would be a good option with 2D players

While we still do not know all what Odyssey will offer in detail, I think some kind of compromise could be done that really makes us, the VR players, buy the expansion.

I know that "maybe in the future" means "no one is working on it right now" and I can find it understandable considering the state of the world and that the priority would be to have it ready and working for "flat screen". But in that case, personally I don't see any reason to buy it, especially if I would have to sacrifice the VR vehicle experience, that's even a reason against acquiring it. Personally, I would be open to the option to "jump" seamlessly (as much as it is possible) from Odyssey ship/vehicle VR experience to FPS/3rd Person view in flat screen. Maybe that's easier than programming the whole space legs for VR and also, for me, it is near impossible to play an FPS shooter with a HOTAS. I need the ye' old mouse and keyboard for that.

I fear this is doomed to failure as it directly contradicts Frontier's stated reason for not including VR in Odyssey in the first place, I.e. we can't do it well enough.

I fear the barricades are now set, with a triple defence:

1. No VR in Odyssey at launch
2. Nothing is being removed
3. Silence other than repeating 1 and 2

Make it 100% unofficial if needs be, just leave the VR headlook code in there and turn a blind eye to any resourceful modder who manages to get hooks into it, such as happened with Alien: Isolation.

The advantage of it being an official branch would be:

A) It could work in multiplayer. (Even sanctioned mods would likely be solo only, to stop them becoming a loophole for online exploits etc. This is the norm for multiplayer games like GTA V etc.)

B) FDev have more familiarity with the code, and can probably tackle issues like UI / hands being 'glued to face' etc more efficiently than modders. (Notice how long it took Nibre to sort stuff like UI / proximity to interactive objects for example, working as a lone, motivated modder etc).

Well worth a shot. I just want flight and driving on the new planets in VR. Don't care about the FPS aspect.

This could be one of the advantages of this approach.

A) VR Cmdrs who don't care about Legs: Happier ;)
B) VR Cmdrs who do care about Legs: Are probably VR vets at this point, and so can handle a basic implementation, with fewer nausea options / QoL additions etc.

EDIT: Just for clarity, I'm interested in Legs gameplay, and I'd like to see fuller-fledged VR support for it down the line, with motion controllers etc. But this could be a pragmatic stepping stone that gets us at least minimal access in the meantime.

Last edited:
I fear this is doomed to failure as it directly contradicts Frontier's stated reason for not including VR in Odyssey in the first place, I.e. we can't do it well enough.

Eh? It embraces that ;)

The idea is that if it isn't an official VR launch then they don't have to hit industry standards. They could do a basic job, not a market-ready job.

Existing fans would be mollified to at least have some form of VR access to Odyssey. New players seeking a market-ready VR game wouldn't really stumble across it, or purchase it in error assuming it's a fully fledged VR title.

The advantage of it being an official branch would be:

A) It could work in multiplayer. (Even sanctioned mods would likely be solo only, to stop them becoming a loophole for online exploits etc. This is the norm for multiplayer games like GTA V etc.)

B) FDev have more familiarity with the code, and can probably tackle issues like UI / hands being 'glued to face' etc more efficiently than modders. (Notice how long it took Nibre to sort stuff like UI / proximity to interactive objects for example, working as a lone, motivated modder etc).
I’m sure all VR users would prefer an official solution, but if the options are between FDev’s euphemistic “Not At Launch” (complete with Dr Evil air quotes) and a slightly janky modded solution, I know which one I would take.

My thinking behind this has to do with the unknown reasons behind dropping VR for EDO (or just not including, for those semantically inclined that way) - whilst I think it’s most likely a financial decision, I hope there is at least a bit of professional pride involved; FDev don’t want to release VREDO with a sub-par implementation that would look lacklustre in comparison to other games, so if they’re going to do it after release, they want to do it right.

As long as the headlook code is still there and could be hooked by HMDs, an unofficial mod would still allow VR players to play in their preferred style and any complaints about the VR implementation could be met with an honest “nowt to do with us, Squire” from FDev while they counted the few extra sales bumping up their numbers.

I’m sure all VR users would prefer an official solution, but if the options are between FDev’s euphemistic “Not At Launch” (complete with Dr Evil air quotes) and a slightly janky modded solution, I know which one I would take.

My thinking behind this has to do with the unknown reasons behind dropping VR for EDO (or just not including, for those semantically inclined that way) - whilst I think it’s most likely a financial decision, I hope there is at least a bit of professional pride involved; FDev don’t want to release VREDO with a sub-par implementation that would look lacklustre in comparison to other games, so if they’re going to do it after release, they want to do it right.

As long as the headlook code is still there and could be hooked by HMDs, an unofficial mod would still allow VR players to play in their preferred style and any complaints about the VR implementation could be met with an honest “nowt to do with us, Squire” from FDev while they counted the few extra sales bumping up their numbers.

Sure, I agree the scenario you're painting there is very possible.

I just think this is a middle way, which I'd prefer to see them have a stab at if possible. With modding hopefully always there as the fallback position ;)

I'm all for VR, as you this is a plus one from me, from Golgot's list I'd go for "VR headlook + classic control schemes," but now I'm just wondering when this thread will get torpedoed by some of the less amicable 2d players..?

Top Bottom