'Experimental' VR branch for Odyssey launch

Posted a similar idea when we first got the bad news, definitely a nice way to go. I bet the GPU requirements would be brutal tho!

Nice one yep, I saw that post! Definitely informed this one :)

I’ve been trying to collate all the general hot takes and cold calculations. Think you landed on the most pragmatic suggestion to date ;)

+1

If I could have ship and vehicular gameplay in VR and a bindable (or even automatic) toggle between my preferred VR and flatscreen settings for when I'm using spacelegs I'd be well satisfied.

One thing I don't want is "cinematic mode": if I'm not getting the full benefit of VR then I want to get that blasted headset off my face!

Very happy for it to be there for those as wants it but I'd like the option to switch to flatscreen without having to go into graphics settings.

I doubt Frontier will ever go that route to provide a separate build, but i will support every initiative that keeps VR in ED alive.

My suspicion is it wouldn't have to be a major fork of the build or anything. More the existing build with a few VR alterations. Just fire-walled off to demark the partial / sub-standard nature of the results.

(Ultimately the end game would be a build that can be re-merged with the main build after all. Hopefully anyway 😄)

It depends what the blockers are I guess. If they're mainly centred on the difficulty of designing VR Legs to a decent standard etc, then it might be do-able in that sense. But if there are some fundamental issues with VR integration / support itself in the Odyssey build, then yeah, might be a non-starter :/

End of non-dev speculation 😄

Last edited:
Please consider releasing an experimental VR branch for Odyssey when the time comes.

I think you're going off a bit half-cocked here, given that we don't actually know what "no VR in Odyssey" actually means in gameplay terms for the ED VR experience as a whole.

You're coming up with a solution without actually understanding in any kind of meaningful detail what the problem is.

I think you're going off a bit half-cocked here, given that we don't actually know what "no VR in Odyssey" actually means in gameplay terms for the ED VR experience as a whole.

Everything they've said to date heavily suggests that it means no VR access to any Odyssey gameplay. IE:

Is Elite Dangerous: Odyssey coming to VR?

Currently, Elite Dangerous: Odyssey will not be VR-compatible at launch. We’re big fans of VR and we are truly proud of the amazing experience that we currently offer in Elite Dangerous. However, the new gameplay, mechanics and features that will be introduced with Elite Dangerous: Odyssey means that we had to re-examine if we could deliver that same experience without compromise, which, for launch, means Odyssey will not be VR-compatible.
Just to add to this, VR will still be compatible with the base game and Horizons!

---

I went through the Thursday stream, and there's a minor glimmer of hope there regarding post-launch support. I'd be wary of reading too much into it though. It was some quick phrasing from Stephen while dealing with an angry mob & streaming the game ;)

So again, I mean, this is just the beginning right now. We've explained the reason why it won't be there on launch. Obviously especially with VR it's a very difficult... you have to get it really right, because people can get motion sickness and everything else, and all this other stuff. So it may not be there on launch. And we hope that it doesn't upset anybody, we do apologise. [29m35s]

Full VR quotes from the stream here

---

UploadVR got this further info from FDev:

In a follow up email we confirmed that VR support is still an open possibility sometime after launch, “with no defined date,” according to the company.

---

Alec Turner: Zac Antonaci just PMed me on my VR question: "Can we fly ships under blue skies in VR? IE: Where's the cut off?"

Zac Antonaci: Hey Alec. Quick follow up to your question. For now it's too far out to confirm 100% where the split will be. We'll have more details closer to release. For now best to assume all Odyssey content is not VR compatible. But we can share more when we get close to the launch.
(Source)

The most pertinent quote is probably that last one from Zac there:

"For now best to assume all Odyssey content is not VR compatible."

You're coming up with a solution without actually understanding in any kind of meaningful detail what the problem is.

This bit I can totally agree with. I don't know the technical, design or business underpinnings to their decision regarding Odyssey VR. For sure.

I'm guessing that an 'experimental branch' might be possible on the technical and design fronts. And that it could be cheap enough on the resourcing front, and low-risk enough on the marketing front, to tip some backroom balances there too. But they are just guesses, sure ;)

I am specifically referencing their own claims about the design difficulties in the mix too though. IE:

However, the new gameplay, mechanics and features that will be introduced with Elite Dangerous: Odyssey means that we had to re-examine if we could deliver that same experience without compromise

&
"...you have to get it really right, because people can get motion sickness and everything else, and all this other stuff"

An experimental branch doesn't have to reach those tiers. The experience can be compromised. Nausea doesn't have to be comprehensively addressed.

That's the point ;)

Last edited:
Hello lovely devs!

Please consider releasing an experimental VR branch for Odyssey when the time comes. This could be made available through the current launcher.

Potentially it could allow for:
  • A very basic implementation of VR to be made available without officially launching in the VR marketplace.
  • Access to Odyssey flight & SRV content. [?]
  • Basic access to character content using the planned 'flatscreen' control schemes. [?]

Given community disappointment about the VR announcement I suspect there would be a lot of tolerance for 'basic' interim solutions to the character issue.
  • Possible basic solutions for character gameplay:
    • A projected flat screen (as seen in Minecraft VR, Touring Karts etc).
    • VR headlook + classic control schemes, for those who have their 'VR legs'.
    • The above, but with work done on aspects like guns & UI being attached to headlook.

Such a branch would keep a huge swathe of the existing VR community happy. It would placate the dedicated fans of EDVR who seek it out, while not appearing on the radar of customers seeking a fully realised VR product. (Ideally it could also operate as a genuine testbed for a fuller VR implementation down the line).

I would urge you to consider the possibility.

o7
Gol
I had a similar thought a "Use at your own peril" VR mode shouldn't be to difficult to tack on (he says with no VR game programming experience ;)) .
That said some UI may be difficult to use or even unusable in VR in this mode.

Top Bottom