'Experimental' VR branch for Odyssey launch

I had a similar thought a "Use at your own peril" VR mode shouldn't be to difficult to tack on (he says with no VR game programming experience ;)) .
That said some UI may be difficult to use or even unusable in VR in this mode.

Yeah I think a super basic 'just add headlook' variant would be relatively rough to use on those fronts. But it could still be enough to nose around the Legs gameplay in theory. And presumably would be a lesser issue for any Odyssey flight gameplay.

Part of my thinking is that:

A) To build a VR variant, they'll have to rework UI / detach the 'gun arm' from the camera etc at some point.

B) Even if they can't do that for launch, if the experimental branch is set up they could get to some of those 'starter' aspects post-launch. Hopefully ;)

I reckon flight access, plus a basic 'hardy tourist' look at some of the Legs aspects, would see a lot of VR-heads buy in still, rather than walk away from the franchise etc. (Doubly so if it did prove possible to have incremental improvements added to the experi build post-launch. It adds that 'something to look forward to' effect ;)).

Yeah I think a super basic 'just add headlook' variant would be relatively rough to use on those fronts. But it could still be enough to nose around the Legs gameplay in theory. And presumably would be a lesser issue for any Odyssey flight gameplay.

Part of my thinking is that:

A) To build a VR variant, they'll have to rework UI / detach the 'gun arm' from the camera etc at some point.

B) Even if they can't do that for launch, if the experimental branch is set up they could get to some of those 'starter' aspects post-launch. Hopefully ;)

I reckon flight access, plus a basic 'hardy tourist' look at some of the Legs aspects, would see a lot of VR-heads buy in still, rather than walk away from the franchise etc. (Doubly so if it did prove possible to have incremental improvements added to the experi build post-launch. It adds that 'something to look forward to' effect ;)).
All good points / suggestions.
I hope they come up with a road map for VR in odyssey even if there's no VR at launch. I think that would at least give VR only players a reason to stay.

i bought an oculus rift because of elite, i bought a x56 hotas because of elite, i modified my gaming chair with mobile arms for hotas because of elite, i bought elite because of its VR support. please do not look into the past, frontier be a trend setting. help VR become mainstream please do not hold VR back, or even make people think VR is obviously a fad.

Elite Dangerous was the sole reason I got into VR "Dk2" years ago. I marveled at the scale of stations, ships and eventually planets. Now after years of playing, purchasing "bling" in order to help the funding a game I love, they abandon the very aspect that makes their game great... "Immersion" ..VR makes Elite a much much better game and for Fdev to not have any form of VR in the new update is a monumental letdown. This could easily be resolved with a simple response from them, either they plan on implementing it on later date or they do not have plans to add it. Fps VR is not a difficult task, there are many shooters out there that have been created by a 1 man or very small team. The result of this non-news has put a halt on any future purchases and my playtime has been cut in half. I have zero interest of going back to playing flat. " I tried Starcitizen and it's no even close to VR Elite." So come on Frontier do the right thing give us full VR, motion controls for movement and interaction, HOTAS for sitting flying and driving. I can easily stand up and sit down in VR, I do it in my type 10 to stretch my Legs.

I think that's a wonderful and really reasonable idea. I actually never believed or wanted motion controller gameplay for ED. Unless they use a different rendering technique on the ground I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I think your point is simple enough that it doesn't require illustration but I guess I could put together and distribute a proof of concept like this for hotas controlled vr space legs. Tell me if you guys think it would (really) help.

I think that's a wonderful and really reasonable idea. I actually never believed or wanted motion controller gameplay for ED. Unless they use a different rendering technique on the ground I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I think your point is simple enough that it doesn't require illustration but I guess I could put together and distribute a proof of concept like this for hotas controlled vr space legs. Tell me if you guys think it would (really) help.

Cheers :)

Hah, I do actually totally want motion controller support for Legs gameplay personally ;). But pragmatically speaking, FDev are probably a long way off that kind of step and knocking all of the kinks out of it.

My suspicion is that, given Odyssey is a joint console launch, they'll likely favour console controllers as the default input for character motion. And that at least we know can work for VR veterans who've got their 'VR Legs', in the sense of classic smooth turning etc. So no special control system would be be strictly necessary for a rough and ready build.

(What with ED being very controller agnostic, them supporting HOTAS control wouldn't be a surprise at all though ay 😄)

Proof of concepts could be absolutely grand down the line! But I'd say hold off until they've started demonstrating some of the gameplay. Should give us a better idea of what we're dealing with. (Where the VR blockers might be / what basic approaches could work for an experi build etc)

o7

As ED showcased VR as it’s selling point all those years ago (and for a while was it’s poster child) it’s such a shame that we now feel we might be abandoned! This thread is a great idea!

VR is the only reason I played ED in the first place. It is a singularly unique experience in the VR world. Even if its not FULL VR, even if I still have to use KBM to move, shoot, etc... That would really be enough, at least to begin with. All I think most of us want is the ability to stay in VR while we play. While we would love to see a full scale VR experience, VR can be really enjoyable without that. In essence, at least keep the VR rendering/camera so we can continue to be amazed at the beautiful expanses of space within VR and finally walk around our ships!

I would very much be satisfied with this approach, even if it means that legs gameplay makes me ill. The first time I rode the SRV in VR and tumbled down a hill it made me want to puke, I was horribly sick for the rest of the day, but since then I've reached 100% SRV tolerance. I'll do the same for legs, so PLEASE give me the option. As an LTP holder I can't really claim "I won't buy it without VR support", but I can say this with absolute certainty: if VR is off the table for Odyssey, then Odyssey won't be installed on my PC. Makes me sad because I want to be excited for the expansion, but I just can't see the point if it means boxing my my VR headset.

Come on FD, this is a great suggestion, it would show remarkable willing and a dedication to the game and most importantly the player base, those of which have invested so much time and considerable sums to enjoy their hobby.

Playing exclusively on VR ( i just can't go back to flat. tried it. just not the same thing. ) i'm afraid that if they don't support some form of vr on Odyssey it will be a big no no for me. this at least lets us see the state of the game ( vr wise ) and if we sink lots of coin on hardware to be able to play the game in vr ( I'm running RTX2080ti + i9 9900K + INDEX ) at least throw us a bone. BIG support for this!!!!

Top Bottom